Parker 75 Burgundy

rochester21

This was an unexpected purchase, right before Christmas. I already had a 75 flamme, but the price was right and I snatched it. And now, to the actual review.

1. Appearance and finish 4/5. The information I got from visiting http://www.parker75.addr.com/Reference/Thumbnails/Ident_Parker_75.htm - (great reference, by the way) indicates that the burgundy finish was released in 1983, and consists of a reddish, maroonish lacquer apllied over brass.

I`m not particularly impressed of the quality of the lacquer or colour, but it is, I think, typical for the period in which it was produced. The gold plated trims give the pen a nice touch. And, of course, there are the lovely arrow-shaped clip and end pieces that make the pen easy to recognise. Overall, the pen has a conservative, but tasteful design.

http://i45.tinypic.com/30as36w.jpg

2. Size and construction 4.5/5. As you probably know by now, the parker 75 is what many would call a small pen- it certanly appears that way when you hold it. And indeed, it is smaller than lower-end models from parker, which is a bit unusual, since the norm is that high-end models are bigger than lower-end ones.

One could say that the 75 looks like a ladies pen, even if the measurements show medium proportions- 12.8 cm closed, 1.1 cm in diameter and 14 cm posted. I personally don`t mind the modest size, because i learned that smaller pens are easier to “maneuver” across the paper than a bigger, heavier pens- it`s like driving a small and nimble car versus a big truck with no power steering.

The triangular- shaped gripping section is quite useful in helping the user get a proper grip of the pen, even though i have the tendency to slightly twist the pen during use, finding it harder to get a proper finger position due the irregular shape of the plastic section section- I would have preferred a metal section or at least metallic threads, but what can you do?

The pen has a medium weight and posts very well, and I use it this way. The length of the barrel allows the user to use the pen unposted as well, but feels a bit too light without the cap . The clip is a bit too stiff, and I noticed that the click-on mechanism is not as tight as with my earlier flamme, even if both pens were manufactured in France. Even the plastic section seems a little less robust than that of the flamme.

http://i46.tinypic.com/1y4e0z.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/3305tf7.jpg

3. Nib and writing experience 4/5. Again, there are noticeable differences between the medium 14K french made of the burgundy model and the american medium fitted on the flamme. First of all, the the medium on the burgundy writes rather like a fine nib, whilst the US made nib of the flamme wrote like a true western medium.

Also, the US-made nib is slightly smoother because it has less tooth. Indeed, the french-made nib on the burgundy has a touch of tooth to it, and also writes a bit on the dry side. But the nib is smooth enough, puts little resistance on paper, but I would have expected a little better from such a well-regarded pen.

http://i46.tinypic.com/30thv2s.jpg

4. Filling system and price 4.5/5. Cartridge filler, using proprietary cartridges. Strange thing- the converter that came along with the pen had a puncture in the rubber, even if the pen appeared to have been almost unused- meanwhile, the converter that came with the older flamme model is still in perfect shape. Can`t explain why.

I paid 46 usd shipped for this boxed(cheap-looking box, by the way) parker 75 and, like I said, the pen appears to have been used for a short period of time and then put to rest- lucky me. So I consider this a real bargain.

Final considerations. Despite not being the perfect pen, the parker 75 burgundy which I reviewed has the rather original design that makes it easily to recognise and it is what one could say a modern classic which I have noticed is a bit overpriced in some cases.

Also, there appears to be a noticeable difference between some of the versions of the 75, like the flamme and the burgundy- I personally like the flamme better, but the burgundy has the nib which writes finer, making it more useable for me. But the flamme is better constructed and has a slightly smoother nib, like I said. Sorry for not posting a photo of the flamme, I don`t have it with me.

http://i48.tinypic.com/14n02u.jpg

Edited by rochester21

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rochester21

• breaker

• Runnin_Ute

Top Posters In This Topic

Gorgeous pen - thanks for the review.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain