• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tonybelding

• PrintersDevil

• Patrick C

• WDP4BAAZ

Nice review. I think I will upgrade after my 540 loaded with Baystate Blue packs it in.....only been 48 hrs and it is holding up well.....I give it 400 days.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

A wonderful review, kudos! And a great pen that is now never out of rotation. My only negative point about the VAC 700 is the clip or rather the finish on the clip (or lap of it) Don't know why they went with a textured (rough) clip! It think it is out of place on the pen when all other metal finishes are bright gloss!

I believe the Vac 700 was inspired from the Pilot 823 fountain pen. The interior design of the barrel mirrors the Pilot Custom 823.

They're both modern vacuum fillers, so it's not surprising that the mechanisms are similar. I doubt you'd find much difference if you compared the Vac 700 to a Visconti or a Stipula. (Disclaimer: I've never closely inspected a Visconti or a Stipula vacuum filler, so I could be wrong about that.) But anyhow, it seems a bit like saying every lever-filling pen "mirrors the Esterbrook J".

As far as the step down from the barrel to the to the section... That's been a point of contention in pen design for ages, I guess. It's the choice of a smooth profile when uncapped versus a smooth profile when capped. I've come to appreciate both styles, and TWSBI have offered both styles, in the form of the 530/540 and the 700.

Don't know why they went with a textured (rough) clip! It think it is out of place on the pen when all other metal finishes are bright gloss!

This is only hearsay, but I read somewhere that the clip is made from beryllium bronze through a powder metallurgy process. It's not practical to put a polished, shiny finish on that.

Don't know why they went with a textured (rough) clip! It think it is out of place on the pen when all other metal finishes are bright gloss!

This is only hearsay, but I read somewhere that the clip is made from beryllium bronze through a powder metallurgy process. It's not practical to put a polished, shiny finish on that.

Thanks for the info! great pen none the less.

• 7 months later...

Wonderful review, and lovely handwriting, too! I was on the fence about this pen - love the blue finish but I'm in love with italic nibs. After seeing this in action here, I'm sold! I can't wait to bet my hands on this love pen and try out the vac filling system.

Thanks for sharing!

I ordered a Vac 700 with a broad nib from Goulet Pens and have been using for about 4 days now and I love it.

It has a nice large size and the nib writes very smoothly with the Diamine ink I have in it.

It is a great bargain at $80 and to get a FP this large with a nib this nice makes this TWSBI hard to beat.

The only concern up to now is the nib dried out on my a couple of times today.

Brian Goulet mentions this as well as an advanced solution in one of his videos.

The TWSBI owners manual explains this as well.

Overall, two thumbs up on this pen.

Nice review & cool pictures ..

How is working of filling mechanism ?

Posting of cap possible or not ??

Regards ,

Nice review & cool pictures ..

How is working of filling mechanism ?

Posting of cap possible or not ??

Regards ,

Hi,

The filling mechanism works well.

Goulet pens has a nice video which shows how it works.

You can fill up about two thirds of the available volume with ink.

You can post the cap.

I do not always do so because it makes the pen rather long, but that is just my particular taste.

Hope this helps.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

I tried a Vac 700 at Pendleton Brown's table at the DC Pen Show last weekend, and it changed my mind about this pen. I had thought that it was too large and unwieldy, but with Pendleton's custom flex stub nib...wow! I think it'll be my next new pen purchase.

Thanks ..

Dimensions looks like larger than TWSBI 580 .. Is VAC700 can be carried in shirt pocket ??

Regards,

BAAZ

I have two Vac 700's, the newest being outfitted with a Broad nib and I love it. I don't particularly like it posted, as it is already quite heavy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am not sure what kind of alloy they used, but they probably used the same as the rest of the cap.

The finish appears to be grit blasted.

Joe

After both of my Vac 700s suffered fractured plastic parts, I've given up on them -- despite liking almost everything else about these pens. TWSBI have always sent replacement parts when I asked, but it has happened too many times.