Platignum Studio

KrazyIvan

http://getfile8.posterous.com/getfile/files.posterous.com/temp-2012-12-09/IBDqAtqhjJqjaljJfDJaDdnJeoAjjkCqwcpaFljkpuAwBlyAJsxqIyJDxtDv/2012-12-09_16.40.33.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

For the complete pictorial, visit my blog.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8339/8259020343_785092030b_b.jpg

Platignum Studio 1 by IvanRomero, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8495/8258992951_413e1e23a1_b.jpg

Platignum Studio 2 by IvanRomero, on Flickr

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KrazyIvan

• impossiblebird

• 79spitfire

• lreiley

Excellent review KrazyIvan. I've had my eye on these for a bit now but haven't brought myself to pull the trigger. I may have to take another look. The red and yellow ones really caught my eye.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Thanks for this. Great pic!!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Excellent review KrazyIvan. I've had my eye on these for a bit now but haven't brought myself to pull the trigger. I may have to take another look. The red and yellow ones really caught my eye.

Thank you and I was thinking of a yellow one myself. :)

Thanks for this. Great pic!!

Thank you for reading.

Initially I thought the pen used proprietary cartridges, which turned me away. But I've since read where the new Platignums accept both long and short international cartidges.

Now I'm reconsidering.

Can you describe more about what happened during the flex test and how much give there was initially, how much force you had to apply to get it to write like that, etc.? That part of the writing sample has me interested, I wouldn't have expected this pen to be able to do that.

Can you describe more about what happened during the flex test and how much give there was initially, how much force you had to apply to get it to write like that, etc.? That part of the writing sample has me interested, I wouldn't have expected this pen to be able to do that.

This is not a flex pen. It is springy at most but I would not do that often with this pen. It was more trouble than it was worth. I used a bit more force than I use with my Noodler's Konrad or Conway Stewart 226. Not something I would normally do with a fountain pen as I have a light touch. I just tested this on absorbent paper and I can get the same variation with considerably lighter touch. You do lose some definition in the thinner portions of the script, obviously.

Thanks, I think I'm going to get one to mess around with. What you say makes me want to try it and I also have a soft spot for any yellow pen.

Check with ISellPens about this pen. They list it and offer a converter with it as well - part of a "package" deal.

No affiliation - just a happy customer.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

To me, a collector of the $20 and under pen, this is a seriously sexy pen. We need to get to the bottom of the international cartridge question, though as proprietary cartridges are dealbreakers for cheapwads like me. I emailed Norman of Isellpens, and he recommended the converter that he sells, but I, too, fell like I read somewhere that they accept international cartridges.

I have one of these, and unless Platignum has changed something, these take a proprietary cartridge. I have been tempted to buy one of the Monteverde mini converters and see if it will function, but haven't 'pulled the trigger' as yet.

The cartridge is of similar shape to an international, but slightly smaller in diameter at the shoulder, with a larger and longer 'piercing' nipple. (not as long as a Parker cartridge)

The pen does indeed write very well, but is definitely NOT a flex pen.

The rest is as Ivan stated.

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

The more pens, from different manufacturers to start harrying the LAMY Safari the better.

Competition improves the breed and all that. ;)

This, and the Pilot Metropolitan are really opening up this end of the market.

The sad moment when you actually have to explain what a fountain pen is to somebody.

This from Rachel Goulet:

You know, it's really interesting. They take *some* standard international cartridges, but I haven't quite figured out which brands yet. It's the right size to take standard international, but they need to have narrow "shoulders"… apparently not all international cartridges are created equally. The Platignum pens have a very narrow interior and long step, so the cartridge has to fit just right. I feel like I am not explaining this well, haha… bottom line, not all standard international cartridges will fit, so I am not comfortable advertising that it accepts those. I just haven't figured out exactly which brands DO fit.

Thanks!

Rachel Goulet

The Goulet Pen Company

www.gouletpens.com

rachel@gouletpens.com

And this from Jetpens who list standard international cartridges as a replacement.

Yes, this pen has a very standard setting/parts which allow it to be refilled by the cartridges that we listed on our website. The refill information we have on our website is provided by our suppliers for the products they sell to us.

X fountainpens.com also states that their Standard cartridges fit Platignum.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review, KrazyIvan. Funny thing, most people seem to be attracted to the bright, vibrant colors these pens come in, but the local University Bookstore has it in OD green w/black accents, and that's actually the one I want! I guess all the bright-colored Lamy Safaris on the shelf above may have had something to do with that, but I also haven't seen many pens in that color. I may not be in the military anymore, but some habits die hard :-P It so happens that it's one of the best olive drabs I've seen in a while, too.

I will say, the fact that these have a nice weight to them (not too much, but a Safari feels like it's almost going to blow away) makes them a little more competitive vs. the Safari IMO.

Edited by Doc Psycho

<insert obligatory signature here>

Thanks for the review, KrazyIvan. Funny thing, most people seem to be attracted to the bright, vibrant colors these pens come in, but the local University Bookstore has it in OD green w/black accents, and that's actually the one I want! I guess all the bright-colored Lamy Safaris on the shelf above may have had something to do with that, but I also haven't seen many pens in that color. I may not be in the military anymore, but some habits die hard :-P It so happens that it's one of the best olive drabs I've seen in a while, too.

I will say, the fact that these have a nice weight to them (not too much, but a Safari feels like it's almost going to blow away) makes them a little more competitive vs. the Safari IMO.

Thanks for commenting. I did see the OD and I considered it as wel as the yellow. I would like to see a 1.1 stub nib ala Lamy on these pens. I considered grinding the nib down but I need to make some time.