Stipula Etruria Rainbow Edition

jandrese

I've got a thing for demonstrators. I've got a thing for Stipula Etruiras. I've got a thing for titanium nibs. Now I've found a pen that delivers on all three accounts, and for a very reasonable price! This is a review of the Stipula Etruria Rainbow limited edition demonstrator in green.

I first saw these pens on FPGeeks website. Very attractive I thought; I'd like to have them all. I picked this green one up at Dromgoole's in Houston, TX. It has a medium titanio (titanium) nib and comes in standard Stipula packaging. Actually, and I could be wrong about this, I believe that these pens only come with medium nibs.

DSC_0237.JPG

DSC_0238.JPG

As you can see the color is a gorgeous emerald green and with gold colored titanium nib and fittings. Compared to the other green demonstrator in my collection, the Pelikan M800, the Stipula has a darker green plastic and parts that are obviously not gold. The Pelikan is more of a lime green, and is somewhat more transparent. The Pelikan also has an 18k gold nib and gold plated parts. Unlike the Pelikan, however, the Stipula is still available. The Stipula also has a larger ink capacity, quite a bit larger actually although the piston does not move as freely. The nib unit is also not easily interchangeable as it is on the Pelikan.

DSC_0243.JPG

DSC_0244.JPG

In these photos the Stipula is filled with Montblanc Jonathan Swift ink which I reviewed here. It is a beguiling ink what with its unconventional color and excellent writing properties. The ink review was also written with the Stipula so you can see the line width and variation possible using this pen. Variation? Well, I did not specifically flex the nib during the ink review, and I normally don't bother. Even though the titanium nib can flex a little bit I don't think it was designed specifically for that purpose. This titanio nib is a little stiffer than some others I've got. The titanio nib on the Delta 150th anniversary pen, for example, has more natural ability to flex. Regardless, it is a excellent performing nib. Never hesitates, skips, or throws fits. Ink flow is perfect with the somewhat dry writing Swift ink. Have not tried a free flowing ink yet. I suspect that something like Pilot Iroshizuku fuyu-gaki may race from this pen. As mentioned above, the ink supply in this piston filler is ample. Indeed, despite doing a lot of writing this is reason why I've not tried another ink in this pen yet. Here is a closeup of the nib.

DSC_0239.JPG

While this pen is fairly similar to the other Stipula Etruria pens I own there are obvious differences. It is most similar to the Nuda demonstrator, but that pen has a gold nib and the caps are not interchangeable. In addition, the Nuda has sterling silver trim. Both have the same number of pens in the edition at 351. Mine green demonstrator is 069/351. The only other engraving on the pen barrel is "Stipula made in Italy" with Stipula in their famous script. The Gaudi pen is another beast altogether. The Gaudi pen is smaller, and the fittings are made from ??? metal that are meant to look weathered. It is also a cartridge converter feeder that I am using as an eyedropper so it holds a ton of ink. The Gaudi does, however, have a titanium nib that is quite nice that maybe is a little more naturally flexible than the green pen has. Maybe it is just that ink flow from the Gaudi is generous. Perhaps I should try the Swift ink in that pen.

DSC_0241.JPG

DSC_0242.JPG

Hope you enjoyed my little peak into the Stipula Etruria demonstrator. It is an attractive pen that is also an excellent writer. The large size and contoured body make it very comfortable to use for long writing sessions. Plus, the titanium nib is a reliable performer that will please almost all FP users. For a piston filling Italian pen that is also a limited edition it is very fairly priced to boot. Now if I can only find the end of the rainbow.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jandrese

• wimg

• georges zaslavsky

• Iittala

very good review :thumbup: I have two eritrurias myself and hunt for an older one in the dark blue celluloid but these demonstrators are just :notworthy1: :puddle:

Thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Nice review, thanks!

FYI, these demonstrators also come with the new stainless steel nibs, and they are available in 6 colours :D.

Transparant (colourless), Red, Blue, Green, Orange, and Yellow (lemon coloured).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• 4 weeks later...

I like this review. My Etruria green demonstrator just arrived. It's #24; I purchased it online from the Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC, which had it for 40% off list price.

I charged it with Omas blue ink and the pen's working just fine. Granted I've only written about 10 sentences. The size and design vs weight distribution fit very well for my hand. I've got quite a few pens and this pen balances better than my Visconti Homo Sapiens (the big bronze age) and even my MB 149 (one of my favorites). For about $200 (give or take with shipping) this has the potential to become and EDC (every day carry).

Normally I use one of the steel Lamy 2000s with J. Herbin black ink, so this would make a great contrast in style and color (ink and pen).

Again, thanks for this review -- it validates my spontaneous purchase.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the review.

Just got one in Stilograph Corsani here in Rome while on holiday. Saw it in the window and it pulled me in the store. When I held it, it had good size and balance! Price was not bad too given that the pen was a LE - I got the colorless demonstrator.

I still have not used it at this point but I'm really looking forward to.

I bought a Stipula Calamo Blu Della Robbea (Deep Blue) as its first ink too!

• 2 years later...

I have the Etruria 911 LE. A great looking pen, but a hard starter regardless of the ink I put in it. It has a gold nib rather than a titanium one.

How do you feel the god and titanium nibs compare. Which is the most reliable nib?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Etruria 911 LE. A great looking pen, but a hard starter regardless of the ink I put in it. It has a gold nib rather than a titanium one.

How do you feel the god and titanium nibs compare. Which is the most reliable nib?

The titanium nibs are very nice, but I have Etruria with gold nibs that are very nice too.

Hard start could be many things, perhaps least of which is the nib. Does the cap seal tightly? Does the feed deliver enough ink? Are the tines spread too far apart? Is there sufficient air return to the ink chamber? Etc.