Depths Of The Ocean

Robinkeys

So after many unsuccessful attempts, I finally managed to create my own signature ink... Depths of the Ocean! Expect to see it in stores soon! :thumbup: :roflmho: Just Kidding!

But even though this awesome ink isn't available commercially, you can still make it at home. Here's how...

20 drops Higgins Eternal Black

55 (yes, I said 55) drops of Camel Royal Blue

15 drops water

(Note: This recipe only makes a tiny amount of ink but you could combine many batches to make a full well if you wanted.)

Combine the inks and water, shaking well. Since the Camel ink is dye-based, store it out of direct sunlight. Enjoy!

P.S. Pics of this ink to come once I get around to putting batteries in my camera! :lol:

Edited by Robinkeys

"One's greatness is defined not only by their deeds, but also by the pen they carry."

My YouTube Channel: InkyJoys

Inky Meanderings: my pen, paper and ink blog

Best Non-FP user line ever: "Is that a calligraphy pen?"

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OakIris

• Robinkeys

• picautomaton

• PolarMoonman

Seriously, where are the pictures showing the color of the ink? Love the name of the ink, but I don't think it would really take 5 months for Robinkeys to replace his camera batteries. Intrigued, but left wanting....

Holly

Is the Higgins safe for fountain pens?

"One Ink-drop on a solitary thought hath moved the minds of millions" - P R Spencer

Is the Higgins safe for fountain pens?

I bought some for use with my dip pens. The box shows a picture of a fountain pen on it, which implies that it can be used in fountain pens, but....The description says "Archival carbon writing ink..." To me, that sounds too much like the lampblack that they put in India Ink, so I personally would not use it, or any ink mixture that contains it, in a fountain pen - unless it was a really cheap pen that was both very easy to clean out AND one that I wouldn't mind getting damaged, as in clogged beyond repair. Just my opinion - perhaps someone with actual experience with using it in fountain pens will chime in!

I would be curious if there is any sort of reaction between the Camel Royal Blue and the Higgins, too, but it looks as if Robinkeys has abandoned his thread. I could experiment on my own, of course, but it might be a bit expensive to order the Royal Blue from Camlin in India...

I just wanted to see if the color of the ink matched the name given to it. :(

Holly

Edited by OakIris

• 4 weeks later...

Bad news guys:

I am sorry about keeping you guys waiting, I completely forgot about this thread. :headsmack:

Well, to make a long story( involving a dropped Pilot nib and some research), I threw out my bottle of Higgins. Then I went to read more about the ink, I found out that it isn't safe for fountain pens. So, no more ink, and thus no pics. I will try to mix an alternative, if I get around to it!

"One's greatness is defined not only by their deeds, but also by the pen they carry."

My YouTube Channel: InkyJoys

Inky Meanderings: my pen, paper and ink blog

Best Non-FP user line ever: "Is that a calligraphy pen?"

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe try the mixture using Sailor's Kiwagura Black ink or Platinum's Carbon pigmented black ink that they sell for fountain pens. I've used both and had no issues whatsoever in a fountain pen.

If concerned about a poor reaction between the pigmented based ink and the dye based Camel ink, perhaps the mixture could be tried using the above mentioned pigmented blacks and either Sailor's Seiboku blue/black pigment ink or Platinum's Pigment Blue ink

Take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly, and try another. But by all means, try something.

--Franklin D. Roosevelt