Edison Pearl Bulb Filler

quinden

I have been using this pen for about 3 months...it's great!

Brian Gray of Edison Pen Company created this pen for me. It's one of his earliest designs, and I think it is one of his most popular. It reminds me of a Nakaya Piccolo, but I think it is slightly longer.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8201/8172453165_5427e512f9_c.jpg

Appearance & Design - 10

The Pearl looks beautiful! The red tortoise acrylic is semi-transparent and reminds me of red amber. It's a perfect pen for fall :)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8461/7966921324_57e7fb6ee7_c.jpg

Construction & Quality - 9

This pen is well-built. There are no flaws that I can detect (but I don't have a loupe, so don't want to give a perfect 10). The acrylic doesn't feel as nice as celluloid or ebonite, but it's not a deal-breaker and it feels sturdy.

Weight & Dimensions - 10

My Pearl fits my hand perfectly! Brian has the dimensions of each of his pens listed on his website. The pinched grip section is probably my favorite style. I can write with this pen all day long. It's a relatively light pen, but I think mine is heavier than the cartridge-converter version of this pen.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8176/7966920386_4dc7a73a00_c.jpg

Nib & Performance - 10

The extra-fine steel nib on this pen is one of my top nibs. It's definitely a nail, but what a nail it is! I was reading a post somewhere that discussed toothiness/smoothness/drag - this nib has just enough drag to be perfect. It's like you are writing with a smooth, soft graphite pencil. Not buttery smooth, not ice-skate smooth. Perfect for me. Even better, if I want to get a gold nib, or just want a different steel nib, I can purchase it from Brian! The nib units unscrew just like a Pelikan or Esterbrook, so they are really, really easy to swap out. One thing to note, though - Brian modifies the nib units for bulb fillers. You cannot use a regular nib unit in a bulb filler (but you can pull the nib and feed from a non-bulb filler and use that in a bulb filler nib unit).

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8064/8172450414_d10cf2b083_c.jpg

Left to right: Hakumin/Edison Mina with 18K fine nib, Pearl bulb filler with steel extra fine nib, Hakumin/Edison Pearl with 14K medium cursive italic

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8484/8172448762_ef9889ab1d_c.jpg

Left to right: Hakumin/Edison Pearl, Edison Pearl bulb filler, Hakumin/Edison Mina

Filling System & Maintenance - 8

The bulb filler is great for a couple of things, and not so great for others. It can hold a ton of ink, and it's easy to get the ink into the pen. I don't think it's quite as quick as a piston-filler or vacuum-filler, but it's no slouch. It's also pretty easy to clean (I don't use the bulb for cleaning; instead I unscrew the section, empty of ink, flush, and it's good to go!). This is not the filling system if you like to play with a lot of different inks in the same pen.

Cost & Value - 10

My Pearl cost $350 ($250 for the pen with a steel nib + $100 for the bulb-filler system). I think it's a great value, especially since there are so many material choices you can work with.

Final Score - 9.5

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8205/8172421839_1e11cb3280_c.jpg

Left to right: Hakumin/Edison Pearl, Hakumin/Edison Mina, Edison Pearl bulb filler

I love this pen! I've been really happy with my Pearl; it's one of the pens that I think I might actually collect (along with the Danitrio Short Octagon), especially since you can get an urushi version from Ernest Shin of Hakumin Urushi Kobo.

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• quinden

• Skyppere

• terminal

• penultress

Gorgeous! but one has come to expect nothing less from Brian! Wonder if he could make me a yellow one? Did you just walk up and say "gee can you make me a red translucent pen?"

skyppere

Gorgeous! but one has come to expect nothing less from Brian! Wonder if he could make me a yellow one? Did you just walk up and say "gee can you make me a red translucent pen?"

skyppere

Thanks Skyppere! I went through his SmugMug 'Materials' gallery - there are sooooo many options that I was a little confused (some materials manufacturers call their materials lucite, some don't, etc). I emailed Brian and he quickly replied with answers to my questions. I think there are a couple of semi-transparent yellow and yellow-brown materials to choose from :)

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

Absolutely beautiful. Looks like the fire reflected on the Sorcerer's Stone.

Regards,

Subramaniyam

Thanks Subramaniyam!

These are all gorgeous! I also have Edison on my wishlist. I've taken a look at his Current Inventory and that was enough to make your head spin!

These are all gorgeous! I also have Edison on my wishlist. I've taken a look at his Current Inventory and that was enough to make your head spin!

Thanks, penultress! I agree 100% on his current inventory gallery - there's a bedrock flake acrylic bulb filler that looks dynamite :)

Filling System & Maintenance - 8

The bulb filler is great for a couple of things, and not so great for others. It can hold a ton of ink, and it's easy to get the ink into the pen. I don't think it's quite as quick as a piston-filler or vacuum-filler, but it's no slouch. It's also pretty easy to clean (I don't use the bulb for cleaning; instead I unscrew the section, empty of ink, flush, and it's good to go!). This is not the filling system if you like to play with a lot of different inks in the same pen.

THanks for taking the time to do this review!

I don't completely understand why you gave Filling System an 8? Is it hard to clean?

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

I don't completely understand why you gave Filling System an 8? Is it hard to clean?

I gave it an 8 because it's not as fast to fill as a piston filler or vacuum filler, and it can be harder to clean out than a cartidge/converter filler (if you use a bulb to flush out your c/c filler). You can use a large bulb to flush this one out (the nib unit and section, that is), but you have to pull the tubing off the nib unit. I personally don't find it hard to do, but it is a little more work in comparison. If I was going to grade a c/c filler I would probably give it a 7, and a piston filler would get a 9 or 10, depending on how nice the piston was. A vacuum filler would probably get an 8 - 10, depending on how nice the filler was, etc.

Thanks! THat makes a lost of sense.

You're welcome! I should have probably added that stuff into the review :)

Josh,

Your taste in pens continues to resonate! Very nice choice. Believe it or not, I find the Pearl a little too 'thick' for my tastes. The Piccolo feels more natural in comparison. But my hands are small!

That's a gorgeous acrylic. Acrylics are underrated, IMHO. There's many wonderful choices in handsome, complex colors. My personal fav of course remains the Yellowstone used for my Edison Huron.happyberet.gif

Best,

Julie

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

I gave it an 8 because it's not as fast to fill as a piston filler or vacuum filler, and it can be harder to clean out than a cartidge/converter filler (if you use a bulb to flush out your c/c filler). You can use a large bulb to flush this one out (the nib unit and section, that is), but you have to pull the tubing off the nib unit. I personally don't find it hard to do, but it is a little more work in comparison. If I was going to grade a c/c filler I would probably give it a 7, and a piston filler would get a 9 or 10, depending on how nice the piston was. A vacuum filler would probably get an 8 - 10, depending on how nice the filler was, etc.

To me, a CC system is the easiest to clean - pull off the converter and flush it with a syringe, flush the nib/section with a bulb, and your done in seconds. Same with a piston filler with screw in nibs. Anything that requires the nib remaining in place during the cleaning process can take a long time.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

Julie, thanks! Agreed on the acrylics. :) Your Huron is a beauty. I also like the look of the Piccolo and one might find its way into my pen case some day.

Dan, I tend to agree - that's why the removable nib unit is so helpful in this pen. The only (minor) hassle is removing the breather tube from the nib unit, but that is no big deal. The other nice thing about some c/c fillers (my Hakumin/Edisons and Danitrio, for example) is the ability to fill the pen via eyedropper. Suddenly you have a giant ink tank!

quinden,

You make me drool all over , those pictures are soooo beautiful en of course the pen.

I just wet everything here, but thanks what a eye candy. :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

Great photos, as always, Josh.

I really like the Pearl. Your assessment of this material reminding you of red amber is spot-on. I had the opportunity to see Brian's pen samples at the Columbus show this weekend, and was impressed with the depth in some of the acrylics. It is difficult to photograph many of them.

Bulb fillers are neat. Your material choice is wonderful because you didn't need an ink window -- the material allows you to see the amount of ink remaining. Nice!

Soer, thanks - glad you like it :thumbup:

Thomas, thanks for your kind words. Aside from the sheer beauty of it, you are spot-on in my reasoning - it's like a semi-demonstrator! I bet the show was awesome, by the way; hope you found some great stuff :)

thanks for taking the time to do that! My internet was half way down when I was trying to browse smugmug so I'll go back and have another looksee...

cheers

skyppere

skyppere

Thanks Skyppere! I went through his SmugMug 'Materials' gallery - there are sooooo many options that I was a little confused (some materials manufacturers call their materials lucite, some don't, etc). I emailed Brian and he quickly replied with answers to my questions. I think there are a couple of semi-transparent yellow and yellow-brown materials to choose from :)

Skyppere, you're welcome - I hope you find what you are looking for!

pictogramax, thanks! It's really hard to capture the depths of this material with photographs - I really love checking the ink level in it.