Nemosine Fission

K. Cakes

Hello, everyone!

I've been around these parts for a little while, and thought it was time I contributed a little something. Most everything I own has been reviewed dozens of times, but I recently picked up a Nemosine Fission from xfountainpens.com and realized that there hasn't yet been a review for it around these parts, so without further ado, here is my very first pen review!

Weight/Length 7/10

The Fission is surprisingly weighty, I would say its slightly heavier than my Sheaffer 100 which weighs in at 31 grams. I find it a bit top-heavy when posting, but its workable. Lengthwise its about the same as my Lamy Safari, or ~6 inches. The metal grip section is smaller than the barrel, so it feels quite comfortable in my small-ish hands.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8330/8103750114_bdf4efd01a.jpg

Appearance 9/10

Of course this is subjective, but the design of the Fission is absolutely beautiful in my opinion. I had expected it to be simply a metal version of the Singularity, but was pleasantly surprised with its actual appearance. Sleek, understated, and nicer looking than many of my more expensive pens. I especially appreciate how the cap screws completely flush with the barrel.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8336/8103735135_60e6792306.jpg

Nib 8/10

I picked up the Fission with a .6mm "calligraphy" nib which I can definitely recommend. It has written well from the very first inking, nice and smooth, moderately wet. It is the smallest of all my stub nibs, and definitely my favorite. When choosing your pen you have your pick of XF, F, M, .6mm, and .8mm (no bold available). Nibs are also interchangeable and can be purchased separately (also from xfountainpens) for $6.99. I have extra fines on all my Nemosine Singularity pens, and they have been excellent right out of the box.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8470/8103735009_a860a0dfef_n.jpg

Please excuse my horrendous handwriting! The .6mm nib compared with my other stub nibs.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8045/8103750052_c3fc9ccb09_n.jpg

Value 10/10

At $24.99 I think this is a fantastic value. Great quality, swappable nibs, a variety of body colors all of which are quite handsome! I know the Lamy safari seems to be the most recommend beginner pen (though I've never liked mine), but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this one over the Lamy.

Cons

- This pen unfortunately doesn't have broad nibs available for those who like them.

- It might be a bit weighty for some.

- Its not widely available. I believe you can only purchase it from xfountainpens.com

- The cap must be screwed on both to close and post which I am not a fan of.

Overall - I would definitely recommend this pen if you are looking for an inexpensive but capable addition to your arsenal.

Edited by K. Cakes

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• K. Cakes

• indigoskye

• Harlequin

• chadden42

I had the light blue one but wound up sending it back. The actual color was even lighter than the pen in the pictures. Plus, I didn't realize the grip would be polished metal as it doesn't really look like it in the pictures, at least not to me. Despite my not really respoding to it, I think others will. It did seem well made to me in the little time I had one.

Edited by Kugelschreiber

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

I had the light blue one but wound up sending it back. The actual color was even lighter than the pen in the pictures. Plus, I didn't realize the grip would be polished metal as it doesn't really look like it in the pictures, at least not to me. Despite my not really respoding to it, I think others will. It did seem well made to me in the little time I had one.

Yes, it did look quite a bit different from the image shown on the website. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it!

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

I have one in gunmetal with a fine nib and I like it very much. It reminds me of a Lamy.

The nib reminds you of a Lamy? Or the pen itself? I admit, I've had a Safari for quite some time, but have only used it a handful of times :embarrassed_smile:

Nib 8/10

I picked up the Fission with a .6mm "calligraphy" nib which I can definitely recommend. It has written well from the very first inking, nice and smooth, moderately wet. It is the smallest of all my stub nibs, and definitely my favorite. When choosing your pen you have your pick of XF, F, M, .6mm, and .8mm (no bold available). Nibs are also interchangeable and can be purchased separately (also from xfountainpens) for $6.99. I have extra fines on all my Nemosine Singularity pens, and they have been excellent right out of the box.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8470/8103735009_a860a0dfef_n.jpg

I've been looking at the Nemosine Singularity as my next FP purchase. I saw reports on this board that the pen leaked occasionally. How do your Singularity pens fare with this issue and do you feel that the Fission might be less prone to leaking? Also, do you find that your extra fine nibs compare with a standard fine nib? I've read that the Nemosine nibs tend to run a little wider than the norm. I'm debating which nib size to purchase with the pen. I am going to use the pen for general writing, but might want to branch out and do calligraphy with it at a later time. Knowing that I can get the italic nibs for it at a later date makes it an affordable and functional option.

I am glad you reviewed the Fission. I normally prefer metal pens to plastic. Your review makes the Fission very enticing. Now I have to decide if I want the Singularity or the Fission! :)

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are. - W. Somerset Maugham

http://wendyvancamp.com

I've been looking at the Nemosine Singularity as my next FP purchase. I saw reports on this board that the pen leaked occasionally. How do your Singularity pens fare with this issue and do you feel that the Fission might be less prone to leaking? Also, do you find that your extra fine nibs compare with a standard fine nib? I've read that the Nemosine nibs tend to run a little wider than the norm. I'm debating which nib size to purchase with the pen. I am going to use the pen for general writing, but might want to branch out and do calligraphy with it at a later time. Knowing that I can get the italic nibs for it at a later date makes it an affordable and functional option.

I am glad you reviewed the Fission. I normally prefer metal pens to plastic. Your review makes the Fission very enticing. Now I have to decide if I want the Singularity or the Fission! :)

I would say the extra fine nib is a pretty standard Western extra fine. I accidentally sucked up my Lamy XF nib when I was vacuuming so I don't have it on hand to compare, but I'd say they were pretty close. In the comparison below its wider than the 78G by a bit, and quite a lot thinner than a Sheaffer fine. I've only tried the extra fines and .6mm nibs but they all seem to be pretty standard. As for the leaking, I thankfully haven't had that problem on any of my Nemosines!

To decide between the two I would see whether you're looking for a heavy or light pen. The singularity is very light, around the weight of a 78G. And the Fission is rather heavy, probably the heaviest I own. On top of the weight the grip on the Fission is metal which I know some people really don't respond to. Personally I prefer the Fission. I write with a very light hand so the weight doesn't tire me out, and I like that it feels more substantial.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8325/8114437255_249e5d5c84.jpg

Again, sorry for the poor handwriting!

Hope this helped a bit!

Nice review and thanks for the sample of the .6 stub.

Thank you, and you're very welcome.

When I said the fission reminded me of a Lamy, I meant in appearance. I did not get the gunmetal; i have the nickel version and it vaguely reminds me of a Lamy 2000 or Studio.

Under the Mercy

I would say the extra fine nib is a pretty standard Western extra fine. I accidentally sucked up my Lamy XF nib when I was vacuuming so I don't have it on hand to compare, but I'd say they were pretty close. In the comparison below its wider than the 78G by a bit, and quite a lot thinner than a Sheaffer fine. I've only tried the extra fines and .6mm nibs but they all seem to be pretty standard. As for the leaking, I thankfully haven't had that problem on any of my Nemosines!

To decide between the two I would see whether you're looking for a heavy or light pen. The singularity is very light, around the weight of a 78G. And the Fission is rather heavy, probably the heaviest I own. On top of the weight the grip on the Fission is metal which I know some people really don't respond to. Personally I prefer the Fission. I write with a very light hand so the weight doesn't tire me out, and I like that it feels more substantial.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8325/8114437255_249e5d5c84.jpg

Again, sorry for the poor handwriting!

Hope this helped a bit!

Yes, this is of great help in deciding on a nib! Thank you for the writing samples. The extra fine is not as fine as I had feared. I'm also glad to see you did not have leaking issues with your pens. When I see two or three comments about that, it makes me wonder. I happen to like metal pens and until I started reading posts here on FPN, I did not realize that plastic body pens had such a huge following. My EDC pens are a fine point Zebra F-701 which is solid stainless steel and feels like a tank and the other a aluminum Fisher space pen. I'd be very surprised if the Fission was heavier than my Zebra. :) I still love my ballpoints and will continue to use them because they are very sturdy, but they are for work or being in a purse or wallet where pens will be banged around. I'm switching to fountains for my at home desk when I have more time to enjoy the act of writing by hand and can experiment with inks and paper. So I'm leaning toward the Fission, although I'm still curious about what the allure of plastic is all about. FPN has been quite the enabler to me. :)

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are. - W. Somerset Maugham

Yes, this is of great help in deciding on a nib! Thank you for the writing samples. The extra fine is not as fine as I had feared. I'm also glad to see you did not have leaking issues with your pens. When I see two or three comments about that, it makes me wonder. I happen to like metal pens and until I started reading posts here on FPN, I did not realize that plastic body pens had such a huge following. My EDC pens are a fine point Zebra F-701 which is solid stainless steel and feels like a tank and the other a aluminum Fisher space pen. I'd be very surprised if the Fission was heavier than my Zebra. :) I still love my ballpoints and will continue to use them because they are very sturdy, but they are for work or being in a purse or wallet where pens will be banged around. I'm switching to fountains for my at home desk when I have more time to enjoy the act of writing by hand and can experiment with inks and paper. So I'm leaning toward the Fission, although I'm still curious about what the allure of plastic is all about. FPN has been quite the enabler to me. :)

I'm glad I could help. And, yes FPN had been a huge enabler to me as well! As much as I love the resources this place offers, I'm sure my pocketbook would be better of if I'd never found it ;)

• 2 months later...

I just found out about the Singularity in another thread about stub nibs. Then I searched and saw that there is also the Fission, so I figured I'd try to find out which one is the better choice. Do both of them have the option to get a stub nib instead of a regular nib "out of the box", or is that a separate purchase? I have never had a stub nib or CI nib, but I do have an Italic nib for my Sheaffer NoNonsense. Unfortunately, it's a broad nib and I dislike using it. I currently write with a medium nib, but have no preference really between a medium and fine. I've never tried an xf though.

I was hoping you could give me some advice K. Cakes, regarding which the better choice would be- the Singularity or the Fission? I also wouldn't mind if you could "school" me, if you don't mind, on the best way to go about choosing a nib size since I've never used a stub and only used a broad italic?

I just found out about the Singularity in another thread about stub nibs. Then I searched and saw that there is also the Fission, so I figured I'd try to find out which one is the better choice. Do both of them have the option to get a stub nib instead of a regular nib "out of the box", or is that a separate purchase? I have never had a stub nib or CI nib, but I do have an Italic nib for my Sheaffer NoNonsense. Unfortunately, it's a broad nib and I dislike using it. I currently write with a medium nib, but have no preference really between a medium and fine. I've never tried an xf though.

I was hoping you could give me some advice K. Cakes, regarding which the better choice would be- the Singularity or the Fission? I also wouldn't mind if you could "school" me, if you don't mind, on the best way to go about choosing a nib size since I've never used a stub and only used a broad italic?

The "better" pen is really just a matter of preference. I enjoy both pens quite a bit, though I personally lean toward the Singularity which I have a couple of. Since they use the same nibs, the only difference is the plastic body of the Singularity versus the metal Fission. If you like heavy pens the Fission may be more up your alley. If you prefer lighter pens then the Singularity is probably preferable. And yes, both the Singularity and Fission have the option for stubs.

As for the nib I use fine and XF nibs but the .6mm Nemosine is my favorite factory stub, about a medium on the downstroke and a fine on the cross. Since you like mediums and/or fines I would recommend starting with the .6mm for everyday writing. Since Nemosine nibs are so inexpensive you can always try the .8mm too. Even better, the Knox K35 1.1mm and 1.9mm are also compatible with Nemosine pens if you want to play around with something extra broad.

.6 mm is SO small- I would have thought that WAS an XF. From your reply, I'm gathering it's probably somewhere between those two. I haven't used any italic (or italic style) nib other than a B nib on a Sheaffer NoNonsense- I do not like it. I tend to think, without having much actual real life experience, that I would prefer a heavier pen, but that's something I know I really can't decide on without experiencing both.

.6 mm is SO small- I would have thought that WAS an XF. From your reply, I'm gathering it's probably somewhere between those two. I haven't used any italic (or italic style) nib other than a B nib on a Sheaffer NoNonsense- I do not like it. I tend to think, without having much actual real life experience, that I would prefer a heavier pen, but that's something I know I really can't decide on without experiencing both.

.6mm does sound small, but I find its not really that thin. If you look at the comparison I posted between the .6mm Nemosine and the 1.1 Safari its not all that dramatic. But the best way to decide is really to try them out!

• 2 months later...

I am returning to this thread because I recently purchased a .6mm calligraphy nib for my Nemosine Fission pen. I was using the pen with the XF nib originally and found that I liked the pen, but I have several XF regular nib pens and wanted to try something different. I put on the .6mm calligraphy nib since I do not have any stub nibs in my collection. The nib went on easily and the pen started writing immediately. I did not have to do any sort of nib adjustment. This was the first time I've changed a nib and I was surprised at how simple it was to do on the Nemosine.

The .6mm nib is wonderful. I think that it is the perfect size for general journal writing. Not too large, but still with enough variance in the strokes to give my writing a more elegant look. I have a second Nemosine Fission that was gifted to me by a FPN member and I believe that I will put a .8mm calligraphy nib on it so I can have a set of calligraphy pens.

I just wanted to return and say thanks. This thread helped me get started with the Nemosine Fission and I find that I love the pens.

I've been looking at the Nemosine Singularity as my next FP purchase. I saw reports on this board that the pen leaked occasionally. How do your Singularity pens fare with this issue and do you feel that the Fission might be less prone to leaking? ...

Neither of my two Singularities has ever leaked. They run great, and are easy to swap nibs and to clean thoroughly.