Sailor 1911 Full Size In Matte Black

autopsy

Hi there. I did a bit of Googling and saw that my purty new pen barely had any reviews posted!

Packaging was a standard looking navy blue sailor case. Nothing remarkable. Inside was this beauty.

http://i.imgur.com/TpIMr.jpg

Appearance: 10/10

Look at it... look at it. The matte black is slick and oozes character from every pore. It looks gorgeous without being flashy. This is no Montblanc. The matte finish is obvious, and despite a few minor drops, has zero nicks or scratches. The trim compliments the black finish better than gold, in my opinion. The nib is two-toned, which adds a small splash of color to the pen. The cigar shape is killer. It is prone to fingerprints and dust, but honestly, unless you are doing a photoshoot, it isn't noticeable. You have to look very carefully to see any blemish whatsoever.

http://i.imgur.com/qEo96.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AY8d5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YtiYl.jpg

Design/Size/Weight: 10/10

If you're looking for a full size, and not an oversize, you (bleep) found it. Uncapped, it is quite a bit shorter than a Safari. Capped, it is a hair taller. The pen is medium weight giving a nice quality feel. It fits snugly in my medium sized hands, but if you are used to using oversized pens, it may take a bit of getting used to. It will feel small compared to an MB 149. I don't post pens while writing with them. The pen feels perfectly balanced in my hand - no forward or back weight at all. Since the grip section is also matte, it adds a nice bit of grip so even after a long writing section, a slightly sweaty hand is no problem at all. The softness of the grip is also phenomenal. Smooth mattey awesomeness.

http://i.imgur.com/jQr4z.jpg

Nib: 9/10

I purchased this pen from Mottishaw, and he did a spectacular job on it. The medium nib is very smooth with heavy flow providing a Western medium-sized line. I take a point away because, despite how nicely it writes, I have to give the nib crown to the Pelikan M1000. I would have liked a bit more flexiness in the nib (though it is nice and soft). I have never experienced a skip or any sort of ink flow problems. Flipping the pen and writing on the backside of the nib, the point suddenly becomes an extra fine and, although a bit scratchy, is perfectly writable.

Filling system: 8/10

Cartridge converter. /shrug

Cost and value: 9/10

At $416 new, this ain't a cheap pen. You can get the same nib and pen size for ~$250 without the matte finish. To most, the matte isn't worth that much money. To me it is. I'm in love with the matte. It doesn't get attention like a big, shiny pen, but it doesn't care. It keeps on looking sexy as hell.

Overall: 9/10

An indispensable part of my rotation. It gives me a nice contrast and variety to the oversized pens while still being professional and every bit as good a writer. Buy it. Actually, don't buy it. That way it won't ever enter the 'bling' category!

Edited by autopsy

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• autopsy

• nicholasyeo

• jrbaker

• kuri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes , it IS a handsome FP.

there was a period where I was hunting for one such finish - matte black - really nice I think.

My only grouse was the rigid , but incredibly smooth nib.

I wonder how this matte finish withstands wear and tear?

Maybe the pricing reflects the more costly process of applying the finish ?

I wonder if it's the same kind of finish as the black stealth Vanishing Point pens.

Congrats on your acquisition. Nice pen.

:thumbup:

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

Thanks. The nib is not rigid. It is soft and will give a decent bit. It simply does not compare to other even softer nibs. It is most definitely not a nail. I forgot to mention the soft feel of the grip by the way. It feels like you're holding a somewhat rigid mini pillow in your hands.

Ooh. Nice. I really want one of these, but I cannot justify (a) the price premium just for the finish and (B) buying yet another Sailor (have one LE, a Yosegi, a 1911L, a 1911M, a Sapporo and a Pro Gear, and want to get an Ironwood and a KoP at some point).

OTOH, the 1911 *is* my favorite pen.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

i'm thinking to this pen for one of my next purchase(for birthday in may...)but with a Naginata concord emperor nib and with the gold trim but you decided me to buy it with the matte finish it looks splendid!

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

i'm thinking to this pen for one of my next purchase(for birthday in may...)but with a Naginata concord emperor nib and with the gold trim but you decided me to buy it with the matte finish it looks splendid!

I'm going to grab a Realo with a special nib eventually.

Nice review!

I love the look of this pen…buuuut… after looking at the price…ouch! Prices start at $420. I really would like one but at that price I would rather get another Nakaya.

Still…

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

• 3 months later...

You mention that you don't post pens when writing, but CAN this pen be posted? I know the other 1911s can be, but I haven't seen pics anywhere of this one posted. I'm looking at getting one of these myself, and that's kind of a deal maker/breaker for me.

I've got one of these in my collection with a ruthenium section, its lovely! The matte is very well made. :thumbup:

I've got one of these in my collection with a ruthenium section, its lovely! The matte is very well made. :thumbup:

So, can you tell me if the cap can be posted while writing? I haven't seen this in any pictures and it's something that will contribute heavily to my decision about buying one.

So, can you tell me if the cap can be posted while writing? I haven't seen this in any pictures and it's something that will contribute heavily to my decision about buying one.

The cap certainly can be posted quite securely. I think the 1911 is almost perfectly weighted for writing. I personally write without the cap though.

• 2 months later...

Hi!

I just bought a Sailor 1911 matte black.

I love it but weirdly the edges of the pen are square and it looks a bit more like a Sapporo.

post-102147-0-50744200-1364351953.jpg

post-102147-0-35744300-1364351989.jpg

Has anyone seen this before?

Best,

Hi!

I love it but weirdly the edges of the pen are square and it looks a bit more like a Sapporo.

Kuri, thanks for the pics, I love that flattop look and didn't know they made a matte black with the flattop design.

Beautiful pen, I wish they did more matte black in all their sapporo lines.

Hi!

post-102147-0-50744200-1364351953.jpg

post-102147-0-35744300-1364351989.jpg

Has anyone seen this before?

Best,

I haven't but I kind of need one now. Great looking pen. Where did you get it? (If you don't care to say here, please PM me)

Hello! Now I understand, it's a Pro Gear!!! The order got mixed up. I didn't look at the Pro Gear before ordering a 1911 Full Size, not sure why, perhaps it looked thicker on a chart... I'm keeping it anyway!