Filcao Sylvia

da vinci

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af344/996nick2009/43980ce6d5991cca95e8eb069a262da6.jpg

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af344/996nick2009/Fountain%20Pens/file-39.jpg

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af344/996nick2009/Fountain%20Pens/file-41.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• da vinci

• Osmaroid

• alfredop

• jde

Pretty cool! They make these in different sizes, don't they? (It looked like that on the site, at least...) I'm somewhat seriously considering a Pel 100 sized model! :thumbup:

Great review, and thanks for providing more info on this awesome-looking pen!

Visit Pen&Design!

@penanddesign

Glad to see your review! I've always been fascinated by Filcao pens. Hope to see one in person some day. I believe the "Sylvia" is named for Sylvia Abrate of Tryphon.

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

Thank you for the useful review, I like very much that pen.

Alfredo

P.S. To Filcao: I like many your pen, but please change the clip, it is the only particular that it is not in order. I tried a Columbia with an old Parker Duofold Senior clip and it was much much better.

How did you contact the manufacturer? I used their on-line web site (which seems to be years out of date!) and sent an email inquiring about an order and have got no response. I have several Filcao pens, all bought used, and thought that they had gone out of business. Their web site seems to confirm that thought, but your statement that you had bought directly from them indicated that I was mistaken and made me really want the model you reviewed!

Edited by Osmaroid

How did you contact the manufacturer? I used their on-line web site (which seems to be years out of date!) and sent an email inquiring about an order and have got no response. I have several Filcao pens, all bought used, and thought that they had gone out of business. Their web site seems to confirm that thought, but your statement that you had bought directly from them indicated that I was mistaken and made me really want the model you reviewed!

Hi,

I used the contact details here: My link

And got an email reply within 24 hours.

Persevere - it is worth it.

Good luck!

Da Vinci

Hi,

Good luck!

Da Vinci

Thanks so much. That worked a treat and Franco got back to me within a few hours.

It turns out that I had used the same address before, but I used my iPad rather than my usual PC. I embedded pictures of the pens I wanted and Apple, in their wisdom, apparently decided that the pictures should be enclosures rather than embedded. Even worse, they also decided that any text following a picture should also be an enclosure, so the email that arrived ended up being nonsense when viewed on a PC!

A warning to Apple users, I guess (I forgot that I can never receive photos properly in emails from my daughter who is a died in the wool Apple person).

Edited by Osmaroid

Hi,

Good luck!

Da Vinci

Da Vinci, did you buy from them directly ?

I find the Sylvia LE to be spectacular.

Hex, aka George

That link:

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE SPECIAL OFFER FOR 2009

lol

They really need to update their site!

(there's also that mention of a special "Christmas 2008" Sylvia colour)

I've been intrigued with this brand ever since stumbling upon some mention of them in the back pages of the forum; they certainly don't seem to get much play (these days, at any rate) and that seems a shame as they appear to be very nice indeed, especially considering the relative price of them compared with other Italian makes.

I saw a Sylvia with a gold nib go on ebay (black/green - even the seller called it a Pel100 homage) a few days ago; it went for very little, so I'm kicking myself for falling asleep and forgetting about the auction entirely till a few days later.

Oh well.

Thanks for your review, OP; it has rekindled my resolve that I shall be getting one of these (or the Columbia) some time.

• 1 month later...

That link:

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE SPECIAL OFFER FOR 2009

lol

They really need to update their site!

(there's also that mention of a special "Christmas 2008" Sylvia colour)

I've been intrigued with this brand ever since stumbling upon some mention of them in the back pages of the forum; they certainly don't seem to get much play (these days, at any rate) and that seems a shame as they appear to be very nice indeed, especially considering the relative price of them compared with other Italian makes.

I saw a Sylvia with a gold nib go on ebay (black/green - even the seller called it a Pel100 homage) a few days ago; it went for very little, so I'm kicking myself for falling asleep and forgetting about the auction entirely till a few days later.

Oh well.

Thanks for your review, OP; it has rekindled my resolve that I shall be getting one of these (or the Columbia) some time.

Please note that the Filcao website was recently "updated". The emails are now correct. I just bought a black Filcao Gentleman directly from them. Paid with PayPal (making it easy). Mr. Grisolia responds quickly but prefers Italian over English. My Italian proved to be adequate and appreciated.

I have a Sylvia with a green striated barrel making it look like a Pelikan 100NN. My Sylvia has been fitted with a superb 14C fine+ nib. It is a favourite.

cuza

Edited by cuza

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Good luck!

Da Vinci

Da Vinci, did you buy from them directly ?

I find the Sylvia LE to be spectacular.

I did Hex, Franco was very helpful.