Jinhoa 159

tomcoombs

First Impressions (8)

Please take these notes and comments in context with the price paid for the pen, which was $0.99 + shipping.

I like big pens. This is a big pen. The chrome gleams, the black lacquer is well finished and the pen has some 'heft' to it. When you remove the cap, the silver nib (18k Gold plated) is well finished also.

Appearance (8)

Very nicely finished. The model I have is fitted with a Medium nib with Chrome clip and bands. The chrome is well finished and the black lacquer is also well finished. The thread to which the cap screws, is a little clunky, but it doesn't pose a problem when you hold the pen

Design/Size/Weight (5)

The design is similar to a Montblanc Meisterstuck le Grand 149. It is perhaps a little fatter at the cap and maybe a little longer but when you put the two together they do look very similar.

It is a pretty hefty pen coming in at 50g on my postal scale. and when posted feels slightly out of balance.

Nib (5)

I have a medium nib in this pen, and it claims to be 18k Gold Plated. It must be white gold for it is a very shiny silver. Not quite as large as the MB nib, but fitting for the pen overall.

When you put pen to paper, it performs surprisingly well. The line is wet, even and the nib didn't give any starting issues or skips during the test pages. The nib is a little noisy on the paper I am using, but you get used to that. I filled the pen with Akkermans #5 shocking blue for the first time out and it has continued to write really quite nicely with it.

Filling System (3)

The provided converter is a little shaky. When operating it for the first time, inadvertently screwing the plunger the wrong way removed the plunger, cap and plastic bits from the converter. Some careful re-assembly and a little sealant later the whole thing is fine.

Cost and Value (10)

For $0.99 it cost/value is, well, beyond compare.

Conclusion (6)

Given the cost of these pens, and what you get back from them, I would suggest that anyone who likes a big pen, should at least try one of these out.

For $15 when you include the shipping, it's a very limited investment in something that looks like a much larger, more expensive pen.

post-90766-0-41698700-1349097122.jpg

Edited by tomcoombs

TC.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pickwick

• richardandtracy

• Fuzzyman

• tomcoombs

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very good review, You're right about the converter. I discarded mine and turned it into an eye dropper. One mistake I did make, was to initially fill the barrel with ink only to find ink dripping from the chrome band between the barrel and blind cap!

I solved this problem by spraying matt black paint from an aerosol can into the interior of the barrel. After leaving it to dry, gave it a water test and it worked. The barrel holds a lot of ink. I used silicone on the section threads before screwing it into the barrel. I've been using this pen for the past two weeks and it works every time.

As you point out this pen is a wet writer and I found the nib produced too broad a line for my liking. So i've changed the nib for a two tone German made fine one. The noodler's Manhattan Blue I filled it with dries very fast on paper, and compensates for the wet flow of this pen. This pen has become one of my favorites as I have large hands.

I bought mine for $8.99 including shipping.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Very good review, You're right about the converter. I discarded mine and turned it into an eye dropper. One mistake I did make, was to initially fill the barrel with ink only to find ink dripping from the chrome band between the barrel and blind cap!

I solved this problem by spraying matt black paint from an aerosol can into the interior of the barrel. After leaving it to dry, gave it a water test and it worked. The barrel holds a lot of ink. I used silicone on the section threads before screwing it into the barrel. I've been using this pen for the past two weeks and it works every time.

Now thats an interesting idea...

I bought mine for $8.99 including shipping.

Darn it...I got screwed! Mine was $12 including shipping... headsmack.gif

TC.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

If it's any consolation mine only had to travel across the Pacific, your's took a longe route!

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Does this pen use a standard international converter? If so it would be easy to replace the converter with a better one.

I have three Jinhao 159s and might order even more. I have quite a collection of inks and am always short of pens and these pens are IMHO the best low-budget pens. Too bad the pens are only in black, I would love to have, for example, burgundy or dark blue ones.

I have three Jinhao 159s and might order even more. I have quite a collection of inks and am always short of pens and these pens are IMHO the best low-budget pens. Too bad the pens are only in black, I would love to have, for example, burgundy or dark blue ones.

Check out XFountainpens.com they have two different colors which are obviously 159s. They're labeled: X530, Mondlicht "Moonlight and Tageslicht "Daylight".

Edited by Pickwick

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

The X530 does not post --if that is important to you--just FYI

Also my 159 has already died--the inner cap came out--broken and the pen will not write. I consider myself pretty good at making pens write--but no--it is dead. {only a few months old, really did not use it much--puled it out to play--dead}

www.stevelightart.com

The X530 does not post --if that is important to you--just FYI

Also my 159 has already died--the inner cap came out--broken and the pen will not write. I consider myself pretty good at making pens write--but no--it is dead. {only a few months old, really did not use it much--puled it out to play--dead}

I should have looked closer, although these pens look similar there are differences. Sorry to hear of your experience.

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

I like xfountainpens.com and I have used them with success.

However, if you buy one of these and upgrade to the German nib you will get the new German nib they are carrying, not the KNOX German nib. The new one is something like Neoseme (spelling?). The Knox is better than the Neoseme

The KNOX nib in my opinion is worth the extra couple of bucks and is better than the nib that comes standard with the pen, especially if you want a Fine line.

I like xfountainpens.com and I have used them with success.

However, if you buy one of these and upgrade to the German nib you will get the new German nib they are carrying, not the KNOX German nib. The new one is something like Neoseme (spelling?). The Knox is better than the Neoseme

The KNOX nib in my opinion is worth the extra couple of bucks and is better than the nib that comes standard with the pen, especially if you want a Fine line.

I understand the Knox K35 fits and there has been some good reviews.

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

I just got my 159 today. Wow, that's a big pen. It definitely feels better in my hand without the cap posted, but even postd it isn't as unbalanced as some smaller pens I have.

As for how it writes... surprisingly smooth! This is as smooth as my Safari for about 1/3 the price. For a cheap guy like me, that's a big plus.

I wasn't sure if I'd like a big pen, but it's very comfortable in my hand.

I think I'd like to replace my Medium nib with a fine. Any reccomendations? This nib is pretty large -- I'm not sure what to get and ensure it will fit.

I think I'd like to replace my Medium nib with a fine. Any reccomendations? This nib is pretty large -- I'm not sure what to get and ensure it will fit.

A Knox K35 nib should do the trick.

http://www.xfountainpens.com/Knox-German-Fine-Fountain-Pen-Nib-p/knox-k35-f.htm

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

Now I am lucky enough to own a real MB 149, I now realise how heavy the Jinhao 159 is! Unfortunately my Jinhao 159 has been junked due to the lacquer wearing away revealing the brass underneath......oh well no great loss! The other 2 have been given away to some FP newbies, who will hopefully catch the bug.

Edited by robofkent