Parker 51 Review

rochester21

At the beginning of this year i was dreaming about getting a parker 51, just because of its cult status among enthusiasts, which made me very curious. Unfortunately, most parker 51 were to expensive for my pockets, so i tried to forget about buying one in the near future. However,about that time i happened to come across a online sale of a “parker pen” that resembled a parker 51, but with a price tag that made me seriously doubt about it. Long story short, i pressed the “buy” button and today i decided to take the time to write a short review about the pen that i bought with that occasion.

1. Appearance and design 4/5. This particular 51 is a basic english-made version, which i think was produced during the 1960s. After taking some time to figure out how to describe this pen, i think the first thing that should be mentioned would be its practical, straightforward design. With a streamline body and lots of curves, it looks like it was meant to be a workhorse, and not an item to contemplate or admire. The cap has a nice, simple finish, but retains a couple of elegand details, such as the clip model and the plastic jewel on top of the cap, which has the same colour as the body of the pen, which i think it`s called “dove gray”- correct me if i`m wrong.

2. Construction and size 4.5/5. Although it has a plastic body, the pen feels quite sturdy in the hand, and the cap is very solid and well made. Whilst the pen itself is lightweight, the cap is heavy and does affect the balance when posted, but i still find the pen confortable this way. The clutch ring does the job properly, but the inner chrome platting started to come off on mine. The P51 measures around 15 cm closed and 16 posted, with a diameter of 1,2 cm. It feels like a quality, full size pen and even though it is larger than most of my other pens(only my carene is bigger), it is pleasant to use.

3.Nib and writing experience 4.5/5. I would describe the nib on my P51 as having a...classic feel to it, and i say this because it resembles the nib on the chinese clone of a parker 21 that i learned to write with. The sensation is similar because of the design of the nib, even if the P51 nib is of much better quality than that of the chinese clone. I believe the size of the nib is broad, and it lays down a smooth, wet and broad line- too broad, actually for my tastes, as i prefer a fine nib for my daily note-taking. The nib is hard as a nail, but has a somewhat soft feel to it. On the pen i`m reviewing, the nib is slightly off-centered and i have to twist the pen slightly inwards in order to make it write properly, but this only applies to my particular P51. Because the nib is so broad, i can only use it as a signature pen or to exersize my handwriting, but i got it at a knock-off price, so i can`t complain. I don`t know if this is a steel or octanium nib. Anyway, it`s a good, dependable writer.

4. Filling system 4.5/5. This pen has a aerometric filler, which works very well. I usually use cartridge fillers because i feel that they are more practical, but i admit that these are less classy and interesting than other filling sistems, like the aerometric type, which is very easy to use and clean.

5. Price/value ratio and final considerations. I paid the equivalent of 14 usd shipping included for my parker 51. It was clean, with no dings or scratches, and worked properly the first time i filled it- and i didn`t even clean it first. Now when i think about it, it`s quite hard to think that this pen is much older than i am(i`m 23). It doesn`t look or feel old. So i think it was a real bargain and i`m happy i had the opportunity to buy it. After all, it`s a classic :)

post-36434-0-41919600-1347114772.jpg

post-36434-0-80112500-1347114798.jpg

post-36434-0-52968400-1347114811.jpg

Edited by rochester21

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rochester21

• watch_art

• user01

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i did some editing before uploading the picture, this did alter the original colours. Koh-i-Noor fountain pen ink is easy to find in eastern Europe; it comes in 50 ml plastic bottles and costs about 2 usd. Here`s a picture:

I would describe the nib on my P51 as having a...classic feel to it, and i say this because it resembles the nib on the chinese clone of a parker 21 that i learned to write with. The sensation is similar because of the design of the nib, even if the P51 nib is of much better quality than that of the chinese clone.

That's funny!

You compared the "51" nib to a clone of the cheap version of the "51" nib!

I would describe the nib on my P51 as having a...classic feel to it, and i say this because it resembles the nib on the chinese clone of a parker 21 that i learned to write with. The sensation is similar because of the design of the nib, even if the P51 nib is of much better quality than that of the chinese clone.

That's funny!

You compared the "51" nib to a clone of the cheap version of the "51" nib!

My husband is also Romanian. When i got my 51 he was surprised to see it because he thought his childhood cheap Chinese 51 clone was an original design not a copy. Hey, no one in his family cares for pens, how would he know.

i did some editing before uploading the picture, this did alter the original colours. Koh-i-Noor fountain pen ink is easy to find in eastern Europe; it comes in 50 ml plastic bottles and costs about 2 usd. Here`s a picture:

I guess this ink is made for fountain pens. :rolleyes: So it should be safe to use. How does the ink perform? I never used Koh-I-Noor ink. But 2 USD/50ml is REALY cheap.

BTW: Thanks for the review.

Koh-i-noor makes really nice stuff; I am envious of how little (by Australian standard) their inks retail for; getting a bottle of Quink from the shops here it'd be about $9 or $10 depending on the shop :wacko:

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Thank you for all the comments. Looks like the ink draws more attention than the pen itself. I never cared too much about ink reviews, but for your delight i will review the koh-i-noor ink in the following days- as soon as i figure out how it should be done :happyberet:

Edited by rochester21