Writing Materials

lorr1e1

Hi,

I would like to buy quality implements and materials for my writing, what i use at the moment looks cheap and uninteresting and quite frankly an embarrassment.

I want to use seals and wax but don't know much about them or what i should look out for or choose, are there any problems with them going through the postal system machinery? I receive FPN snail mail and find that people use their fountain pens to write on the envelope, it reaches me without even a smudge how is that possible, are they using these rocker blotters i have seen, if so where do i get one from and are they effective? I am looking for some really nice cream coloured paper A4, A5 and envelopes any suggestions? Also any suggestions for a really nice leather writing set. I remember my parents have an A5 leather Basildon Bond (not my favourite brand) they took it with them when they emigrated.

I'd like to experiment with ink colours, can anyone recommend any good inks (i have Parker, Sheaffer and Esterbrook pens) and where to purchase them from?

Thanks

NB. Please note i live in England.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DanielCoffey

• lorr1e1

• Alexandra

• Hil64

Top Posters In This Topic

I recommend Smythson paper. It's not cheap but it is drop drawer quality. For rocker blotters and other paraphernalia try Scriptum in Oxford. Both companies are on the www. If you want to see how the Smythson staioery looks PM me your snailing address.

Edited to say that for inks try The Writing Desk.

Edited by Jimothy

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.

Oh yes I remember smythson, I used to get their catalogue delivered to my home. Thanks for the reminder

You might want to get a Mod to move this into the regular Pen and Paper Paraphernalia forum as this is usually for reviews...

As for inks, Diamine is our local UK ink manufacturer based in Liverpool. They have around a hundred different colours and their own webshop at http://www.diamineinks.co.uk sells them in short cartridges, 30 ml trial bottles (£2.67 each) as well as the regular 80ml glass bottles. Diamine do free postage for orders over £10 which is four of the 30ml bottles. The Writing Desk also do the glass bottles. While Diamine are a tiny bit cheaper, they use minimal packaging but The Writing Desk use really good boxes and wrapping. If you are getting glass bottles, use The Writing Desk.

You will see from the British Ink Exchange that several of us offer to send free samples (a few ml in a vial) so that folks can try out new inks before spending cash in a shop. This service is completely free and you don't have to offer anything in return. Have a look at the Diamine colours I have listed there. Every one of them has a full review in the Ink Reviews forum if you search so you can get a better idea of the colours.

Diamine inks tend to be easy-care. They are not waterproof and tend to be suitable for almost every type of pen including Vintage. They are easy to clean out of a pen too. While there are fully waterproof inks such as those sold by the US company Noodlers (their Bulletproof Black is an excellent workhorse black), they are not readily available in the UK and tend to be higher maintenance. If you are wanting to write on the outside of envelopes, you can of course use any ink, even Diamine, then put some clear tape over the address to protect it. I use clear tape that is the same width as parcel tape and it does the job perfectly.

As for good stationery, you will find that many good stationery stores have the usual suspects... Conqueror, G Lalo and so on. There are some good paper samples offered in the Paper Exchange for you to try - I have some heavy paper from Piccolo Press here in Scotland available at the moment. There is a link to my review of them in that thread.

Edited by DanielCoffey

Sealing wax will survive postal equipment without harm provided it's supple wax. If it's hard wax it will crumble before reaching its destination.

www.lettermatters.com

P.O. Box 196 Kingsburg, CA 93631

You can always put the decorative envelope inside a plain one too... but beware of the 5mm limit for First Class vs Large Letter.

As for paper, you can do a lot worse than Paperchase. They have a good range of FP friendly papers and envelopes. John Lewis have a smaller range, but of pretty high quality. A couple of notches down, the bigger branches of WH Smith have decent writing paper. And don't knock Basildon Bond- some of my American penpals drool over it.