Discouraged By Messy Wax Sticks For Seals?

ethernautrix

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ajzeller

• ethernautrix

• raging.dragon

• Essensia

Using a glue gun is definitely the preferred method for people that are planning to do a lot of seals. (J. Herbin uses a glue gun to apply the wax on their bottles of 1670 anniversary ink.) It's a lot cleaners, faster, and easier for sure :) I have used a glue gun when I've done a lot of seals all at once, (purchased the wax from that vendor actually too - transaction was smoothly and I can recommend them) but for the most part, I still stick with the old candle/lighter and stick of wax method since I usually only do one or two seals at a time.

Hmm...perhaps this wax would also be a convenient sealant for refilled cartridges if it seals well but is easier/cleaner to remove than regular hot glue.

Hmm...perhaps this wax would also be a convenient sealant for refilled cartridges if it seals well but is easier/cleaner to remove than regular hot glue.

It does seal well and it's probably much easier to remove that regular hot glue, but it does tend to chip and I'd be wary of putting that ink into my pen from fear of having a little piece of wax in there too.

It does seal well and it's probably much easier to remove that regular hot glue, but it does tend to chip and I'd be wary of putting that ink into my pen from fear of having a little piece of wax in there too.

Ah, good point. I made the mistake of assuming that this wax would be supple (like J. Herbin) for mailing. Nope, don't want any wax chips in my pen innards!

Edited by Essensia

Ah, good point. I made the mistake of assuming that this wax would be supple (like J. Herbin) for mailing. Nope, don't want any wax chips in my pen innards!

There is the additional issue of what sort of wax it is -- I was told early on in my forays on FPN that paraffin wax, as a petroleum product, was bad juju for pens (that was why people used 100% silicone grease on pens, and silicone sealant for sealing refilled ink cartridges).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Another option would be a melting spoon, like these:

http://www.nostalgicimpressions.com/product_p/n4540.htm

http://www.shakespearesden.com/silver-wax-melting-spoon.html

Note the pouring spouts. Sealing wax can be bought in beads specifically for use in a melting spoon. Or you could get standard wax sticks and cut a bit off with a knife. Then all you need is a flame to melt the wax and a seal!

http://www.nostalgic...uct_p/n4540.htm

http://www.shakespea...ting-spoon.html

Note the pouring spouts. Sealing wax can be bought in beads specifically for use in a melting spoon. Or you could get standard wax sticks and cut a bit off with a knife. Then all you need is a flame to melt the wax and a seal!

The only thing about the spoons that I would be wary of (well for the solid metal one at least) is heat if you're holding it over a flame and planning on doing multiple seals - the spoon will get hot pretty quickly!

For the brass one, I actually own this one (from the same company/site,) and it does work great, but it's nearly impossible to get completely clean from the soot of the flame. I gave up trying to clean it after each use, and just leave it on a little plate next to my candle because it leaves soot/ash on whatever it touches. I like to use the spoon when the wax sticks (I use J. Herbin's Supple Wax) get too short to hold near my torch lighter by hand...

Oh my gee.... Sealing wax fail solution!

Stuart Houghton Mini Glue Gun Sealing Wax.

I don't know the vendor. I did a Google search on "wax seal sticks for mini hot glue gun," and this was one of the results. *Excited!*

That site has a handy How-to page for various methods of using sealing wax. Thanks.

http://www.nostalgic...uct_p/n4540.htm

http://www.shakespea...ting-spoon.html

The only thing about the spoons that I would be wary of (well for the solid metal one at least) is heat if you're holding it over a flame and planning on doing multiple seals - the spoon will get hot pretty quickly!

For the brass one, I actually own this one (from the same company/site,) and it does work great, but it's nearly impossible to get completely clean from the soot of the flame. I gave up trying to clean it after each use, and just leave it on a little plate next to my candle because it leaves soot/ash on whatever it touches. I like to use the spoon when the wax sticks (I use J. Herbin's Supple Wax) get too short to hold near my torch lighter by hand...

Good point. Scratching silver spoon off the wishlist.

When doing many seals, I prefer a dedicated small stainless pitcher that I just start warming while preparing my pieces of correspondence. It's very easy to control the pour and delivers a soot-free, beautiful blob every time. When finished, just let any remaining wax cool for next time. For single use, the curled-handle spoon works just fine for me over a candle and does not cause any discomfort while heating.

My only preferred wax is the traditional burgundy wax from Colonial Williamsburg.

—Cindy

“This is the sort of pedantry up with which I will not put.”

—Winston Churchill (attributed)

Haa! For some reason, getting a mini hot-glue gun was much easier to accomplished (done!) than getting a spoon for heating the wax (still not done). Doi.

Still haven't ordered the colorful wax sticks, though. Getting there (so many other details clamoring for my attention).

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• 2 weeks later...

To make the bottom of a spoon or any other object held over an open flame easier to clean rub the bottom of said item with a little dish soap. It is what we did in Boy Scouts to keep our pot and pan bottoms looking shiny.

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"