Danitrio Seirei-Nuri Genkai

elderberry

fpn_1344689246__uncappedgenkai2klein.jpg

This is about my new Danitrio seirei-nuri Genkai. This pattern is not usually made by Danitrio and especially the Genkai has so much space to offer for patterns and lacquer surfaces, so when I saw winedoc had it for sale I decided this had to become the pen to gift myself for my new job. Painterspal has, I believe, the Densho size und his great photographs of it didn't do anything to help me resist!

Appearance & Design - That's better to be shown than described. The Genkai is a large pen, it "eats your 149 for breakfast", as someone stated here (and also your M1000 and Delta Roma Imperiale, for that matter - my only pen it sees eye to eye with is the Sailor Susutake). Still it's nice to handle and doesn't feel like holding a broomstick. Being female, I don't have huge hands but I still love large pens and fat sections and they work fine for me. The pattern which is supposed to imitate dragonfly's wings - and also reminds me a bit of giraffes -, is done in a time-consuming process. Someone here once posted a video about how a similar pattern is made by Hakumin Urushi, I think it might also apply here: Urushi Minas

fpn_1344689180__sizesklein.jpg

Construction & Quality – Great work, as always. The cap provides a tight fit, so do section and barrel - no leakage yet. The shutoff valve is a little stiff, but that might improve over time. Either way it doesn't bother me much. The extra large nib sits on a plastic feed which provides generous ink flow. Under many layers of Urushi lacquer lies a hand turned ebonite body. As for the sturdyness of these pens, I can only tell how not too long ago I was taking my notebook and pen pouch out of my bag at some office's front door and before I could do anything the Dani slipped out of the pen kimono and - have you seen washed-out concrete? Like concrete slabs with pebbles in them? -, yes, on exactly that floor. From my hand, so a considerable height too.

I was terrified. I could see it hadn't shattered when I picked it up in one piece, but there wasn't any deep scratching either. A few unobtrusive scuffs were all that remained.

Still I hate that this happened, but I'm aware I was very lucky and stand in awe. That war-battered Dani - though her scars are only visible at very thorough examination - has a special place in my heart.

fpn_1344689272__uncappedgenkai.jpg

Weight & Dimensions - The Genkai is, it can't be emphasized enough, large, but not heavy. Its size can be a little annoying at times since it generally won't fit in pen trays, let alone pen cases. I still carry mine around in silk pen kimonos and an extra compartment in my bag, though that can be dangerous - see above.

Nib & Performance - Large, bicolor factory stub nib somewhere between (western) medium and broad. Very smooth with a bit of line variation, my favourite Dani nib. At the moment inked with Iroshizuku asa-gao.

fpn_1344689162__nibshotklein.jpg

Filling System & Maintenance - Japanese eyedropper with shutoff valve. You open the valve to get the ink flowing. There's always enough in the feed for a few short notes in between.

Conclusion - Shape and lines of the Genkai pen are remarkable even unadorned. The star of this pen clearly is the surface. It's hard to show in a picture how different this pattern can look in different lightings and from different angles, how the golden particles shimmer and shine.

Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• elderberry

• georges zaslavsky

• rudyhou

• ethernautrix

Wow, what a beautiful pen!

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

outstanding pen :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Great review and a lovely pen. I really like my Densho in the same finish - my friends report that my letter writing has increased noticeably since it arrived (like I need an excuse to use it!) - and I'm flattered and delighted to read that my pictures may have influenced your decision to buy this big beauty.

D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p