Waterman Exception Ideal Review

haldane3

Hello all,

My Waterman Exception Ideal Black arrived today. I barely had time to take it out of it's packaging before heading to work, but I couldn't resist. So I pulled it out and took it with me, un-inked...

I purchased this pen out of a sense of tradition. In this community where one can purchase vintage Watermans and other classic pens, it's just not the same to catch a WM #52 off Ebay. It just was not my era. I have no ties to a pen manufactured years ago, no history with it. I wanted to have my own pen to keep from my time of pen collecting and writing. The Waterman brand was easy: it was the first pen brand that I purchased, the brand calls to my sense of beauty, and now this is my third. And this pen was unique enough that I felt it met my sense of building tradition... a new Man 100...

Appearance and Design: 10

This pen is distinguished. It exudes a sense of a formal attire, a pen not to be trifled with. It's black with gold trim and reflects the light easily, at odd angles even as its quadrangular shape lends itself to a unique form. It's shiny and has a lacquered finish that feels cool to the touch. It appears conservative at first glance, but taking in the shape and gold trim it is striking. The Waterman "W" at the apex of the cap is also nice, I almost smile when I look down at it in my breast pocket. The unique Waterman clip, the gold plated ring at it's waist. All contribute to a fine appearing pen.

It also has a unique, bayonet-type attachment of barrel to section: it unlocks with a firm "click" as you turn it clockwise 90° and slides off. I confess it makes me nervous as there's no obvious silicone grease to prevent ink leakage, but I trust it will be fine, and it certainly does not leak.

Construction and Quality: 9

It has a sense of strength, and I have no sense of awkwardness or discomfort while holding it in my hand. The gold trim is tasteful and enhancing the overall look. It is obviously, to me, the highest quality pen I own.

One observation that I have is that the cap does not fit 100% firmly on the pen (capped, not posted) and has a bit of rotational "give." Just not perfect. The bayonet system of the barrel works flawlessly.

Weight & Dimensions: 10

It's weight is substantial, 'almost' fatiguing, and yet the pen holds your hand to itself. My fingers easily rest on either side of the uppermost quadrangular corner while the flat side opposite rests along the edge of my palm. There is no gripping this pen, it again easily finds itself to a perfect resting spot in your hand.

It is a large pen, measuring a full half inch wide, 5 1/4 in unposted. It feels a bit ungainly posted, but perfect length/width uncapped. My preference is to write uncapped, and this is fine with me. My hand is rather small, and I think this is probably about the biggest pen I could write with comfortably.

Nib & Performance: 10

I have a Waterman Expert City II and a Carene, so I've written with a couple of different style and type of Waterman nibs. This one is different from both.

It is a solid 18k two-tone gold nib with rhodium trim and "Ideal" stamped in an arc over a globe at the nib's base. It is a stock medium. The nib is substantial in size, the largest traditional nib I own. It is firm, with minimal to zero flex. Flex is not something I appreciate as all my nibs have been "hard," and it's in line with those.

In terms of writing, I have heard describe it as "skating" across paper, or being the "smoothest pen I own." My perception is quite different, actually. It starts perfectly, no hesitation. As it writes, it leaves a reasonable, true medium line with a moderate amount of ink. It is smooth, but not effortless. I get a sense of really writing with it, and with zero scratch and a tiny bit of nib feedback. My Carene is actually a bit more effortless, more skate-like. But the Exception makes me want to write, not rush to the end of the sentence. It writes smoothly, but unhurried. Far and away my favorite pen to write with.

Filling System & Maintenance: 9

The Exception has a cartridge/converter system which fits large cartridges and the standard Waterman converter. If one prefers piston fillers, than this is might be inferior. However, I prefer to switch out inks or simply enjoy the practice of refilling more frequently so this system is fine for me.

The converter fits snugly as all Watermans do. Again, the bayonet system unlocks firmly and smoothly giving access to the section to connect the cartridge. The sections are replaceable en-block only, and one could acquire different nib sizes and sections but at significant cost. Not quite as interchangeable as, say, a Pelikan. There is an active Waterman nib exchange if one were interested (I believe at no cost).

The ink draws up through the nib easily. Remarkably, I notice that it fills the converter to a higher level than either my City or Carene.

Cost & Value: 10

I purchased my Exception new from JML (M. Lewertowski or "Pen Seller From France") for ~ $300 US dollars shipped. At retail, it is otherwise closer to $500. I will just say, it would be worth the retail price. At my price, it feels like a steal.

A word on JML: it is my second pen from him and it was delivered to my door in Ohio from France in 7 days. It is a painless experience, his prices are excellent, he communicates via email promptly and informatively, and all his products come with the Waterman warranty. For both pens. What else can I say?

Also, this particular model appears difficult to find. Actually, looking in retrospect, there are no retailers online in the US that offer this particular model that I could find. The Night & Day and Slim models, however, are all readily available. I rather feel like I found a unique opportunity.

Conclusion: 58/60

This pen is not my "grail," but the new anchor for my personal collection. I cannot say that it exceeds my expectations, because they were very, very high to begin with. And those expectations it meets indeed.

For all it's "quadrangular" shape, the nib is where this pen's heart is. Though I've never written with a classic Waterman pen, writing with my new Exception I feel as though it could be what it would feel like. The writing is perfect, no hesitation, skips or bumps, and it is smooth. But don't be afraid of it "skating" or being "wet" : the writing experience is flawless. I cannot imagine another nib writing "better." It is in the class of high end pens, make no mistake.

Dan

"Well, at least being into pens isn't a gross habit. Like smoking or whatever."

"Ahh, thanks?"

-My coworker Christine.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• haldane3

• Inked

• watch_art

• CaptainAnnoyed

+1

A great pen and true performer.

Enjoy many years with it, and thank you for the fantastic review and pictures.

Inked

My mother has this pen in raspberry pink. It certainly is a great pen, with a very smooth and pleasant to use nib, but I don't like the shape of the section...I find it uncomfortable for long writing sessions -_-

Thanks for kind remarks Inked!

I agreed watch_art, the barrel is quite cool, and it certainly does not leak!

Bummer that the section bothers you so Captain, I don't mind it much at all. Find the pen quite comfortable, actually.

"Ahh, thanks?"

-My coworker Christine.

1342841464[/url]' post='2410554']

Hello all,

My Waterman Exception Ideal Black arrived today. I barely had time to take it out of it's packaging before heading to work, but I couldn't resist. So I pulled it out and took it with me, un-inked...

I purchased this pen out of a sense of tradition. In this community where one can purchase vintage Watermans and other classic pens, it's just not the same to catch a WM #52 off Ebay. It just was not my era. I have no ties to a pen manufactured years ago, no history with it. I wanted to have my own pen to keep from my time of pen collecting and writing. The Waterman brand was easy: it was the first pen brand that I purchased, the brand calls to my sense of beauty, and now this is my third. And this pen was unique enough that I felt it met my sense of building tradition... a new Man 100...

This pen is distinguished. It exudes a sense of a formal attire, a pen not to be trifled with. It's black with gold trim and reflects the light easily, at odd angles even as its quadrangular shape lends itself to a unique form. It's shiny and has a lacquered finish that feels cool to the touch. It appears conservative at first glance, but taking in the shape and gold trim it is striking. The Waterman "W" at the apex of the cap is also nice, I almost smile when I look down at it in my breast pocket. The unique Waterman clip, the gold plated ring at it's waist. All contribute to a fine appearing pen.

It also has a unique, bayonet-type attachment of barrel to section: it unlocks with a firm "click" as you turn it clockwise 90° and slides off. I confess it makes me nervous as there's no obvious silicone grease to prevent ink leakage, but I trust it will be fine, and it certainly does not leak.

It has a sense of strength, and I have no sense of awkwardness or discomfort while holding it in my hand. The gold trim is tasteful and enhancing the overall look. It is obviously, to me, the highest quality pen I own.

One observation that I have is that the cap does not fit 100% firmly on the pen (capped, not posted) and has a bit of rotational "give." Just not perfect. The bayonet system of the barrel works flawlessly.

It's weight is substantial, 'almost' fatiguing, and yet the pen holds your hand to itself. My fingers easily rest on either side of the uppermost quadrangular corner while the flat side opposite rests along the edge of my palm. There is no gripping this pen, it again easily finds itself to a perfect resting spot in your hand.

It is a large pen, measuring a full half inch wide, 5 1/4 in unposted. It feels a bit ungainly posted, but perfect length/width uncapped. My preference is to write uncapped, and this is fine with me. My hand is rather small, and I think this is probably about the biggest pen I could write with comfortably.

I have a Waterman Expert City II and a Carene, so I've written with a couple of different style and type of Waterman nibs. This one is different from both.

It is a solid 18k two-tone gold nib with rhodium trim and "Ideal" stamped in an arc over a globe at the nib's base. It is a stock medium. The nib is substantial in size, the largest traditional nib I own. It is firm, with minimal to zero flex. Flex is not something I appreciate as all my nibs have been "hard," and it's in line with those.

In terms of writing, I have heard describe it as "skating" across paper, or being the "smoothest pen I own." My perception is quite different, actually. It starts perfectly, no hesitation. As it writes, it leaves a reasonable, true medium line with a moderate amount of ink. It is smooth, but not effortless. I get a sense of really writing with it, and with zero scratch and a tiny bit of nib feedback. My Carene is actually a bit more effortless, more skate-like. But the Exception makes me want to write, not rush to the end of the sentence. It writes smoothly, but unhurried. Far and away my favorite pen to write with.

The Exception has a cartridge/converter system which fits large cartridges and the standard Waterman converter. If one prefers piston fillers, than this is might be inferior. However, I prefer to switch out inks or simply enjoy the practice of refilling more frequently so this system is fine for me.

The converter fits snugly as all Watermans do. Again, the bayonet system unlocks firmly and smoothly giving access to the section to connect the cartridge. The sections are replaceable en-block only, and one could acquire different nib sizes and sections but at significant cost. Not quite as interchangeable as, say, a Pelikan. There is an active Waterman nib exchange if one were interested (I believe at no cost).

The ink draws up through the nib easily. Remarkably, I notice that it fills the converter to a higher level than either my City or Carene.

I purchased my Exception new from JML (M. Lewertowski or "Pen Seller From France") for ~ $300 US dollars shipped. At retail, it is otherwise closer to $500. I will just say, it would be worth the retail price. At my price, it feels like a steal.

A word on JML: it is my second pen from him and it was delivered to my door in Ohio from France in 7 days. It is a painless experience, his prices are excellent, he communicates via email promptly and informatively, and all his products come with the Waterman warranty. For both pens. What else can I say?

Also, this particular model appears difficult to find. Actually, looking in retrospect, there are no retailers online in the US that offer this particular model that I could find. The Night & Day and Slim models, however, are all readily available. I rather feel like I found a unique opportunity.

This pen is not my "grail," but the new anchor for my personal collection. I cannot say that it exceeds my expectations, because they were very, very high to begin with. And those expectations it meets indeed.

For all it's "quadrangular" shape, the nib is where this pen's heart is. Though I've never written with a classic Waterman pen, writing with my new Exception I feel as though it could be what it would feel like. The writing is perfect, no hesitation, skips or bumps, and it is smooth. But don't be afraid of it "skating" or being "wet" : the writing experience is flawless. I cannot imagine another nib writing "better." It is in the class of high end pens, make no mistake.

Dan

I've got 3 Exceptions and I am somewhat surprised by your bayonet fitting section to barrel. All of mine have a screw thread with O-ring. The corners match up perfectly. I didn't quite understand you concern about leakage as this would depend on the fit between the converter and the feed not the barrel and the section. I do totally agree that the snap fitting of the cap does not feel secure (and in fact one of mine has been back to Waterman to be fixed because it wouldn't stay on at all).I also bought all 3 of my Exceptions from "Penseller from France". (no affil.)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

1342841464[/url]' post='2410554']

Hello all,

Dan

I've got 3 Exceptions and I am somewhat surprised by your bayonet fitting section to barrel. All of mine have a screw thread with O-ring. The corners match up perfectly. I didn't quite understand you concern about leakage as this would depend on the fit between the converter and the feed not the barrel and the section. I do totally agree that the snap fitting of the cap does not feel secure (and in fact one of mine has been back to Waterman to be fixed because it wouldn't stay on at all).I also bought all 3 of my Exceptions from "Penseller from France". (no affil.)

Do you have exception slims? The ideal and night and day versions have the bayonet attachment, but the slims all had threaded screw attachments. My corners also line up perfectly when attaching barrel to section.

The leakage was a theoretical concern only, since I can't see or feel any obvious silicone on the section (i.e. like the carene). I unfortunately have experienced loose cartridge/converters whether a pen was overly jostled, etc (I may even have a dropped a pen once :embarrassed_smile: }

Yeah, the cap is a bit wonky. I always have to pay attention to line up the corners when capping it after use, i.e. corners may not line up perfectly capped). When the cap is round, it can be a bit loose and one hardly notices. When there are corners and the cap is a bit loose, you really notice the uneven lines!

Thanks for the feedback!

Dan

"Ahh, thanks?"

-My coworker Christine.

good pen indeed but not better than its predecessor the man 100

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I would think that any pen in which the converter popped off would be a mess.

Inked

Had a night and day for about two years. Never had a speck of trouble with. Enjoy! It's a favorite of mine. Love the heft and smoothness of the nib.

i'm too an habitual users of waterman and started writing with them so i still have emotion(faber castell lol)for them even if i don't like too much they're new expert,the color may be....but the edson and evidently the carene are wonderful and you'r is too...

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

Well thanks for all the nice thoughts and comments folks!

"Ahh, thanks?"

-My coworker Christine.