Soennecken 507 Blue

Soot

INTRODUCTION:

507 was the pen that got me into the Soennecken craze, and I have not looked back since. I bought this pen awhile back while I was in my Pelikan 400 days, I didn't know what the deal was with Soenneckens so I decided to take a look...and what a bad idea that was. That idea lead to the mass abandonment of the flock... :(

You get the idea. -_-

Appearance & Design

The design of the 507 is very similar to the various models of the era, minimalistic and ease of operation. Where it lacks in design and appearance it makes up in quality, particularly the piston mechanism, and that's where careful thinking shows.

• Flat top and bottom design. Some with the Soennecken "eagle over nib" logo on the crown.
  • 507 characteristics: two protruded band on the cap, nickel plating.
  • Normal ink view window.
  • Many colors available, black being the most common.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8027/7421461314_f674611e11_z.jpg

Construction & Quality

Most Soenneckens are well built without much problems, they are good quality pens with an ease of operation, and made of celluloid and hard rubber.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5076/7421462806_6366d6a93c_z.jpg

Weight & Dimensions

The length of the pen is 128mm capped, 124mm uncapped (nib to end). It's just about the same weight as the Pelikan 400 (my benchmark), and comfortable to hold for long writing sessions.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7246/7421462304_07fbb5f05f_z.jpg

Nib & Performance

The nib is a flexy bold/stub that gives plenty of variation, the tines spread open with a just bit of pressure, not suitable for the heavy-handed folks. Of course, vintage nibs vary, so not all Soennecken nibs are like this, which is a good thing because I wouldn't want all Soenneckens to be like this, that would be boring.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5276/7421461874_3931ba957b_z.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5444/7421463238_8e5386fe82_z.jpg

Filling System & Maintenance

It's a piston filler that can be easily taken apart; maintenance and cork replacement is a snap. I should emphasize their piston mechanism is very well constructed; the piston shaft & guide are both made of brass which can take a heck of twisting without fearing a broken piston shaft. The likely outcome however, would be the tear and wear of the shaft/guide groove that leads to the un-smooth operation of the piston.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5319/7422003546_33f53d0be1_z.jpg

The guide/groove inside the sleeve is made of brass.

Conclusion

507 is a pen of moderate length and girth that will suit the many hands of pen users.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8027/7421461314_f674611e11_z.jpg

The nib varies, so it depends on luck on acquiring the type you favor. Lastly, the colors[if you find them] and the ease of maintaining of the 507s is a plus in my book, so--- if you don't want them, I'll take them.

--- Soot

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soot

• tenney

• TMLee

• markiv

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review, thank you.

I, too, didn't understand Soennecken until I recently got one.

There seem to be so many models etc. Is there a good online reference to Soennecken pens?

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

very nice quality pen :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Thank you for the reference link. Mine is an S4 and I'm trying to figure out which might be next (no rush).

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

I've had a liking for Soenneckens for quite a while and this review is edging me towards actually buying one. Thanks (I think!).

"The cultured man is the man whose interior consciousness is forever obstinately writing down, in the immaterial diary of his psyche's sense of life, every chance aspect of every new day that he is lucky enough to live to behold!" - John Cowper Powys

• 2 years later...

Soennecken is one of the most under rated of pens. The S-4 and S-6 line of school pens are wonderful and easy to use. I prefer a 501 with a fine nib for journal rotation.

Rod Rumsey

Email me

@Soot -- I've found that site useful on more than one occasion. It has a lot of good info on Italian pens as well.

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras