Noodler's Walnut

mhphoto

I haven't tried too many strictly brown inks, so I was very excited to get my sample of Noodler's Walnut. I really like it! It's a dark brown, but still has visible (and great looking) shading. A great companion to have next to Noodler's Golden Brown (another one of my favorites).

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/NoodlersWalnutMedium.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/NoodlersWalnutPensUsed.jpg

Still trying to make a few new dip nibs work for me (they're winning the battle).

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/NoodlersWalnutHunt.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/NoodlersWalnutObservations.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/NoodlersWalnutComparisons.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/NoodlersWalnutShading.jpg

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mhphoto

• crazystan

• myn

• N2theBreach

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review as always!

As a lover of brown inks, walnut is my go to. Typically, I decant about 4 ml into a vial and add 4 drops of water from a plastic pipette. This has helped greatly with the dry time (at least from a .6mm stub and finer) and feathering.

And you're right, the shading is fantastic. Subtle, but it provides a great flair.

I just recently received a sample from Goulet Pens of the Noodler's Walnut. I loved it's depth of colour. It's

a great brown ink.

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open." James Dewar

http://i49.tinypic.com/2j26aaa.png

A very nice review of one of my favorite brown inks. You did an excellent job showing the varying tones possible with this ink, and its shading.

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Nice review!

Walnut is my favorite brown ink. Walnut and Noodler's Schreibtinte Braun and Noodler's Standard Brown, and they are all very, very similar.

I haven't notice shading, but I use F and EF nibs, so -- (checks notebook) so it's very subtle.

(Yeah, I looked closely, and there's some subtle shading. Nice!)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Ooohhh...very nice color! Thanks for the review~

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

Noodler's Walnut has been a standard brown for me. I always have a pen with it ready to go. Lately the new #41 has been getting some usage but it doesn't come close to the walnut :)

Thanks for an excellent review of one of my stable of inks. I purchased a bottle of Walnut a short time ago and ran a fill of it through my wet-writing P51. With that pen, I find a bit of bleed through in my Moleskine (don't shoot me, please) and so I refilled that pen with Standard Brown and am having no difficulty with bleeding.

I love this color and will fill another pen (finer nib) for use in my Moleskine. It's a bit darker than the Standard Brown and there is shading, but it's subtle as you note.

Another alternative I'd offer is Kiowa Pecan. I think it's slightly warmer than the Walnut and not quite so dark.

I have fallen in love with brown inks. I did not expect that. However, I've all but abandoned #41 Brown because I can't find a pen in my stable that will reliably start with that ink, although I absolutely adore the shading available from #41.

Anyway, thanks again. I love your reviews. Your penmanship is also easy on the eyes. I'd like to see you describe your dip pens sometime (like I need another fetish). :)

-=d

Nice review. Thanks! I may have to add it to my list of future inks to try (I'm just getting started).

FYI, I suspect Nathan may have been thinking of the wood that we get from the Black Walnut tree, rather than the nuts, when he named this ink. It's a fantastic, rich, dark brown. I could be wrong, because I think a brown dye can be made from either the nuts or the "fruit" that surrounds them. At any rate it's nice color, and a nice review.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Thanks for an excellent review of one of my stable of inks. I purchased a bottle of Walnut a short time ago and ran a fill of it through my wet-writing P51. With that pen, I find a bit of bleed through in my Moleskine (don't shoot me, please) and so I refilled that pen with Standard Brown and am having no difficulty with bleeding.

I love this color and will fill another pen (finer nib) for use in my Moleskine. It's a bit darker than the Standard Brown and there is shading, but it's subtle as you note.

Another alternative I'd offer is Kiowa Pecan. I think it's slightly warmer than the Walnut and not quite so dark.

I have fallen in love with brown inks. I did not expect that. However, I've all but abandoned #41 Brown because I can't find a pen in my stable that will reliably start with that ink, although I absolutely adore the shading available from #41.

Anyway, thanks again. I love your reviews. Your penmanship is also easy on the eyes. I'd like to see you describe your dip pens sometime (like I need another fetish). :)

-=d

Thanks for the compliment! A comparison of the six nibs I have is something I've been definitely thinking about, though I'd like to get a few more just to make it more interesting. :thumbup:

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg