Diamine Ancient Copper

kronos77

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7225/7387953356_d9b5191508_z.jpg

ancient copper by kronos77, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7224/7387953936_ff2585a3a2_z.jpg

ancient copper 10001 by kronos77, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7245/7387954658_8b42c9de6a_z.jpg

ancient copper 10002 by kronos77, on Flickr

One of the best shading inks around. It even shades a bit on cheap copy paper. Flow is generous. Behaves well on the laser paper and ok on the cheap copy paper. It is not fast drying on good paper. Water resistance is low but better than many, so your letter might survive a brief rain storm.

The one issue is the crust. That crusty buildup that occurs on the nib and feed from many ornage dyes. This is the first I have experienced it and despite prior warnings, I was a bit shocked at the appearance. It is apparently harmless though.

I absolutely hate this ink for writing but love it for drawing. I feel tha same way about this as about PR Copper Burst and Noodler's Golden Brown. They are repulsive to me in word form, but they make great artist inks. Just a personal opinion. I will be buying abottle.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• kronos77

• SmoovD

• JimB

Top Posters In This Topic

I plan to add a bottle of Ancient Copper. Right now, my two go-to places are out-of-stock.

I personally love the ink for writing. The shading works well for me on the Picadilly notebooks I use at work (even though some don't appreciate the color quite as much as I do). I love the color for writing, but that could be due to the fact that I am absolutely horrible at drawing. Thanks for the review and the artwork is awesome!

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." --Terry Pratchett

http://jamesthebard.net/files/signature_small.jpg

I received this ink yesterday. I love it for writing and the shading is amazing even in a finer nib. I will definitely be using it for notes at work.

• 1 month later...

Love your drawings :) Also think the ink looks great, I might just have to invest in yet another bottle of Diamine...

I love this ink for writing, but only for shorter texts.

It is one of my favorite inks. Diamine did a very good job developing their newer inks.

Love your sketches, just amazing -- and I agree that the shading of the ink is good. BUT only on my Rhodia pad!

I tried it on a composition book that usually does well with shading inks like the Black Swans, but nada. No shading at all. :gaah: Cheap copy paper? Not really. :glare:

For my results I used a 0.9 CI nib with an Edison Herald tuned to a flow of 6 by Richard Binder. I'm guessing you need a really wet writer to get shading everywhere. For Rhodia pads, though? Heavenly. :cloud9:

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

Great review! Glad you underlined its shading property. Your drawing is even better than the shading.

Mike :thumbup:

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks for the kind words all.

Januaryman, I can get shading form this ink with wet and dry pens. Maybe give it a try in some other pens you have. I don't know what's going on. One of those fountain pen mysteries we see so much in this hobby.

kronos77,

What a wonderful way to review an ink. Loved your illustrations.

Have enjoyed the Diamine Ancient Copper ink with medium, broad and stub nibs. It leaves a very unique and beautiful color finish.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Tu Amigo!

Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3525/4051556482_36f28f0902_m.jpg

E-Mail: VintagePen@att.net

Lovely artwork.

Has anyone experienced gunk forming under the nib? Much like Diamine Pumpkin, I am getting an acculmulation of crystals/gunk that really mucks-up the feed. I am going to try another pen to see if maybe it was a one-off. Perhaps the pen was as clean as it should have been after it last use?

I've read of others experiencing this unpleasant but innocuous side-effect, too.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Lovely artwork.

Has anyone experienced gunk forming under the nib? Much like Diamine Pumpkin, I am getting an acculmulation of crystals/gunk that really mucks-up the feed. I am going to try another pen to see if maybe it was a one-off. Perhaps the pen was as clean as it should have been after it last use?

Yeah I had that problem too, it seems for me to do it more when the pen is almost dry. I was using it in a Waterman Taperite Crusader and just started to notice it the day it ran out of ink. I had a similar experience with Private Reserve's Dakota red. Since all the colors seem to have some red in them that exhibit this phenomenon perhaps it is a side-effect of the red dye.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Yeah, I'll buy that. The biggest creepers I have are all reds or at least inks with a lot of red in them. But I don't mind.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)