Thin Paper Comparison - 50, 60, 70Gsm

DanielCoffey

INTRODUCTION

Many happy customers of the Design.Y journals have been praising the quality and amazing ink tolerance of the Tomoe River 58gsm paper. Sam Capote and dcpritch have even chosen to import the paper 4000 A4 sheets at a time from Japan.

Tomoe River seems to be able to handle anything... highly saturated inks, fat nibs, flex nibs... the works. It does this without ANY sign of bleedthrough or feathering. While it does showthrough, this is because it is a 58gsm thin paper.

Was the Tomoe River really that unique? Was there perhaps a more affordable and, importantly, readily available source in the UK that could go up against Tomoe River and emerge from the ring with all its teeth?

I spoke with Joe from Shepherds Falkiners Bookbinders in London and he recommended I try some single sheets of his thinner papers that were sized for Fountain Pen use. Together we picked four sheets, a 50gsm, a 60gsm and two 70gsm that were also recycled.

The only catch was that his sheets were all sold untrimmed in either SRA1 or SRA2... they were HUGE. They also were sensitive to being handled while cut down to size. Because they were delicate and I was trying to manage with an A5/A4 hobby cutter I creased them fairly badly. Since this was merely an ink behavior test I didn’t mind. This was not for Journalling.

NOTE : one of the papers he sent me, the Soporset Offset 60gsm is available elsewhere trimmed in A3 reams for around £25 a pack or in A4 reams for about £7 if you are prepared to buy in bulk.

The four test papers are all thin, white or near-white, all sized for Fountain Pen use, have no right or wrong side and no grain that affects their orientation. Because I was buying them in single sheets, they were not particularly economical but Shepherds Falkiners offers significant discounts as you order more sheets. I am not considering the cost of these papers at this time, merely their ink handling.

THE INKS

Having cut the sheets down to A5, I wanted to try a highly saturated ink in a wet medium nib. The only one I had for this test was Diamine Sargasso Sea. Phil from Diamine will back me up when I say that this ink is one of Diamine’s most saturated offerings. While not quite up there with Private Reserve or Noodler’s, it should be a fair test.

The second ink was a more moderately saturated one. I chose Diamine Eclipse which happened to be in my wet-flowing Broad Stub.

The final ink was one that some folks would say was from a family intended for use with thin papers... Diamine Registrar’s Ink. I did not wait for the ink to change fully in colour, merely to demonstrate its performance on the test papers.

I chose a test passage from Emma Bull : War For the Oaks and wrote the same text on each page, waited for the ink to be fully dry and scanned the pages. I did manage to smudge the Sargasso Sea since my hands were wet from washing - boy is that ink sensitive to hand moisture!

The scanner was my colour-calibrated Epson V600 with the Colour Balance set to None. There is no Photoshop voodoo performed on any of the images... what you see is what I got. The paper colours are not particularly accurate against what I saw in daylight but feathering, bleedthrough and showthrough are all captured accurately.

So... into the ring...

Edited by DanielCoffey

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DanielCoffey

• The Good Captain

• Renfield

• SamCapote

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PAPER : OFFENBACH BIBLE PAPER 50GSM

Colour : Off-white, tending to cream

Sheet size : SRA1 640mm x 900mm

Feel : Hard, smooth surface not unlike Clairefontaine Triomphe under the nib

NOTE : Available in 40gsm, 50gsm and 60gsm. The 50gsm was tested here.

DESCRIPTION : A super lightweight opaque bible paper made to an incredibly high standard. Unlike 'bank papers' this sheet has an excellent, even sheet formation and outstanding flatness, which improves runability.

Offenbach Bible has a heavily "loaded" surface which makes it very receptive to printing and is suitable for prestige text work and the finest limited edition prints.

The paper is acid free and has excellent archival qualities.

Offenbach Bible paper is Totally Chlorine Free (TCF) bleached. It is also alum and rosin free and it's pH balance is greater than 7.5. This paper has a permanence estimated at more than 100 years.

The paper is suitable for offset lithography. If printing images, a screen ruling which does justice to the quality of the original and the repro available should be used.

By its very nature, Offenbach Bible can be difficult to handle and finish, it is suited to four colour, tritone and duotone repro, however where there is heavy ink coverage then Under Colour Removal could be considered.

===

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewOffenbach50Front.jpg

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewOffenbach50Back.jpg

DIAMINE SARGASSO SEA

• Feathering : Some, visible with the naked eye
  • Bleedthrough : Heavy
  • Showthrough : Clearly visible

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewOffenbach50Sargasso.jpg

DIAMINE ECLIPSE

• Feathering : Low to none
  • Bleedthrough : None

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewOffenbach50Eclipse.jpg

REGISTRAR’S INK

• Feathering : None

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewOffenbach50Registrars.jpg

Edited by DanielCoffey

PAPER : SOPORSET OFFSET 60GSM

Colour : Bright White

Sheet size : SRA2 450mm x 640mm

Feel : Hard, smooth surface not unlike Rhodia under the nib

DESCRIPTION : Soporset Premium Offset is a high quality sheet with excellent opacity and surface smoothness. It offers superior machine performance and high quality consistency.

===

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewSoporset60Front.jpg

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewSoporset60Back.jpg

DIAMINE SARGASSO SEA

• Feathering : Slight, visible under loupe
  • Bleedthrough : Moderate

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewSoporset60Sargasso.jpg

DIAMINE ECLIPSE

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewSoporset60Eclipse.jpg

REGISTRAR’S INK

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewSoporset60Registrars.jpg

Edited by DanielCoffey

PAPER : PAPERBACK RECYCLED 70GSM

Colour : Off-white

Sheet size : SRA2 450mm x 640mm

Feel : Some toothiness like a copy paper under the nib

DESCRIPTION : 100% recycled paper with excellent environmental credentials and is the ideal choice where whiteness is not a prime consideration.

The range is suitable for offset lithography, foil blocking, die stamping, letterpress, silk screen, inkjet and laser jet printing.

Due to the highly recycled nature of the sheet, variations in shade and surface may sometimes occur.

===

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewPaperback70Front.jpg

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewPaperback70Back.jpg

DIAMINE SARGASSO SEA

• Feathering : Very slight, only visible under loupe
  • Showthrough : Fairly visible

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewPaperback70Sargasso.jpg

DIAMINE ECLIPSE

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewPaperback70Eclipse.jpg

REGISTRAR’S INK

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewPaperback70Registrars.jpg

Edited by DanielCoffey

PAPER : REDEEM RECYCLED 70GSM

Colour : Off-white, tending to cream

Sheet size : SRA1 700mm x 1000mm

Feel : Some toothiness like a copy paper under the nib

DESCRIPTION : Redeem 100% Recycled is a quality, original white recycled paper range which hs been developed specifically for applications where high opacity, low overall weight and excellent print results are required.

The sheet is manufactured using 100% post consumer waste (which results in it's off-white shade) and is made on a small width machine which results in excellent formation. This enables the sheet to print usually well for recycled grade enabling good four colour repro and excellent solid coverage.

Redeem is produced without any secondary bleaching to the pulp whatsoever.

The range is suitable for offset lithography, foil blocking, die stamping, letterpress, silk screen, inkjet and laser jet printing.

Due to the highly recycled nature of the sheet, variations in shade and surface may sometimes occur.

===

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewRedeem70Front.jpg

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewRedeem70Back.jpg

DIAMINE SARGASSO SEA

• Feathering : High, visible to naked eye

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewRedeem70Sargasso.jpg

DIAMINE ECLIPSE

• Feathering : Slight, only visible under loupe

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewRedeem70Eclipse.jpg

REGISTRAR’S INK

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewRedeem70Registrars.jpg

Edited by DanielCoffey

SUMMARY

I think we can clearly see that Tomoe River is definitely still King of the Hill in this test of thin papers. While I did not have a sample of it to test myself, enough pictures have been published with many inks that we can be confident of its performance and consistency.

Is it all lost for the other papers?

Not at all... it is all down to the choice of ink.

If you like Iron Galls of any type, you are totally safe. In fact I would go so far as to say that even the Offenbach Bible paper in 40gsm would be fine with a good Iron Gall.

If you use an ink with “normal” saturation, you would be fine with any of the papers tested here with the possible exception of the Redeem 70gsm since there seem to be some fibres in its recycled mix that feather sharply.

If you love highly saturated inks then you will have to bite the sour apple and either buy some Tomoe River yourself or go up a grade and use thicker papers.

Edited by DanielCoffey

Daniel, what a WONDERFUL & OBJECTIVELY done review!

It is a darn shame that you did not have some Tamoe River to compare with same pens, nibs, and inks. I would be happy to mail you some sample sheets in A-4 size to see it in person. I have to figure out the postage for one ounce First Class envelope to UK, but if you would like some, just send me a PM with how your address should appear on the envelope.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Perfect! Able to include 6 sheets in a #10 business envelope and stay under an ounce...on its way Monday! Be interesting to see how you think it compares to those other great papers you just tested!

It will be interesting to see how the Tomoe River handles the Sargasso Sea... but seeing how it has handled Noodlers in over pics, I suspect it will be fine.

Thanks for the samples.

It will be interesting to see how the Tomoe River handles the Sargasso Sea... but seeing how it has handled Noodlers in over pics, I suspect it will be fine.

Thanks for the samples.

I might have mentioned before but have you looked at Ryman's Bank Paper? It's 45GSM and is marvellous. I use it for airmail letters and there's no feathering or bleed. I use it double-sided (because I'm tight!) and all the writing is legible but, of course, there is some show-through.

I'll try and scan or photograph when I get the chance.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I hadn't heard of the Ryman's. Add it on to the end of this review if you like.

At Daniel's suggestion here's my addition - Ryman's 'White Bank Typing Paper 45gsm'. I spotted it when searching for airmail paper and it is ideally suited to that purpose. Especially where one is writing from a country where postage costs to send letters 'abroad' are seemingly charged by the tax man! I also planned to use it cut, and punched with suitable holes (there are loads of specific punches available) for use as an economic alternative to Filofax refills. Perfect.

Anyway, here are the scans. I've not retouched in any way and I think they will serve as an illustration of the paper, not necessarily the colour of the ink.

The front.

fpn_1340102743__ryman_bank_paper_45gsm_front.jpg

And the back.

fpn_1340102769__ryman_bank_paper_45gsm_back.jpg

Then close-ups of each ink in turn.

fpn_1340102789__ryman_bank_paper_45gsm_diamine_bilberry.jpg

fpn_1340102807__ryman_bank_paper_45gsm_diamine_sargasso_sea.jpg

fpn_1340102825__ryman_bank_paper_45gsm_diamine_bl-bl.jpg

fpn_1340102844__ryman_bank_paper_45gsm_rk_verdigris.jpg

fpn_1340102861__ryman_bank_paper_45gsm_pelikan_4001_bl-bl.jpg

In my opinion, none of these inks bleeds on this paper. The Verdigris in particular has a tendency to do that on ordinary 80gsm paper. Also, I was particularly impressed with the shading from the Diamine Blue-Black which I've never really noticed before, even with just a modest M nib. Of course there's some show through - the paper is THIN! But no bleed.

In fact the only real sign of that I noticed is a small bit from the ball-point pen I used for the title!

fpn_1340103737__ryman_bank_paper_45gsm_-_back_0002.jpg

At the moment the price at Ryman's is £3.79GBP/100 sheets. When I bought mine, there was a price break of five packs or more so I bought a ream. There doesn't appear to be the same deal at the moment. However, I ordered it in my local shop and it was free to collect it from there: the same if you order on line for store collection.

It's nice paper and I have used it double-sided for some letters. After all, writing them is my problem; reading them is always someone else's!!

The Good Captain

That does look really suited for airmail or thin journals. Thanks for posting this.

At Daniel's suggestion here's my addition - Ryman's 'White Bank Typing Paper 45gsm'. I spotted it when searching for airmail paper and it is ideally suited to that purpose. Especially where one is writing from a country where postage costs to send letters 'abroad' are seemingly charged by the tax man! I also planned to use it cut, and punched with suitable holes (there are loads of specific punches available) for use as an economic alternative to Filofax refills. Perfect.

Anyway, here are the scans. I've not retouched in any way and I think they will serve as an illustration of the paper, not necessarily the colour of the ink.

The front.

fpn_1340102743__ryman_bank_paper_45gsm_front.jpg

And the back.

fpn_1340102769__ryman_bank_paper_45gsm_back.jpg

Then close-ups of each ink in turn.

fpn_1340102789__ryman_bank_paper_45gsm_diamine_bilberry.jpg

fpn_1340102807__ryman_bank_paper_45gsm_diamine_sargasso_sea.jpg

fpn_1340102825__ryman_bank_paper_45gsm_diamine_bl-bl.jpg

fpn_1340102844__ryman_bank_paper_45gsm_rk_verdigris.jpg

fpn_1340102861__ryman_bank_paper_45gsm_pelikan_4001_bl-bl.jpg

In my opinion, none of these inks bleeds on this paper. The Verdigris in particular has a tendency to do that on ordinary 80gsm paper. Also, I was particularly impressed with the shading from the Diamine Blue-Black which I've never really noticed before, even with just a modest M nib. Of course there's some show through - the paper is THIN! But no bleed.

In fact the only real sign of that I noticed is a small bit from the ball-point pen I used for the title!

fpn_1340103737__ryman_bank_paper_45gsm_-_back_0002.jpg

At the moment the price at Ryman's is £3.79GBP/100 sheets. When I bought mine, there was a price break of five packs or more so I bought a ream. There doesn't appear to be the same deal at the moment. However, I ordered it in my local shop and it was free to collect it from there: the same if you order on line for store collection.

It's nice paper and I have used it double-sided for some letters. After all, writing them is my problem; reading them is always someone else's!!

Thought so - I'd forgotten to mention the size! The sheets are A4.

The Good Captain

SUMMARY

I think we can clearly see that Tomoe River is definitely still King of the Hill in this test of thin papers.

Not to detract from the nice work you have done so far, but your conclusion could be greatly enhanced if you actually included a sheet of Tomroe paper in your comparison. Sounds like, with SamC's help, this can be accomplished. I look forward to the continuing efforts, and thanks to you and Sam for doing this, its very interesting!

Edited by cellmatrix

The Ryman looks like nice stuff and its even thinner than the Tomoe. It would be interesting to compare the two side by side.

Edited by cellmatrix

I have some of the Ryman 45gsm in front of me now.

I will add the Ryman 45gsm and the Tomoe 58gsm to this thread using the same pens and inks as my first four papers once I get the Tomoe from Sam in the US. That will mean that two of us will have put the Ryman through its paces.

Edited by DanielCoffey

That Ryman does look fabulous...especially given the lighter weight. Please comment when you compare them also how the paper feels to finger touch and nib feel. The Tomoe is very smooth, and I cannot tell if those closeups of the Ryman are showing a slight texture...which I doubt, given the lack of feathering.

I also don't know about getting Ryman in the USA.