Levenger Forest mix

Inka

Since the primary ink here [Levenger Forest] is a cartridge ink [@70% of the ratio], not bottled, the ratios are approximate but I believe very close to spot-on accurate:

An @ 3+:1 ratio of Levenger Forest [green] and Noodlers' Blue Ghost, with 2 drops Polar Blue tossed in just for nib lubrication.

Inks were not as accurately measured this time [i'm usually precise in measuring/logging amounts], rather I'd eye-balled for content & amounts inside the cartridge.

I wrote with the Levenger Forest until about 30% in the cartridge was used up, added Blue Ghost to the cartridge until nearly full, then syringed an equivalent of @ 2 drops Polar Blue to top it off.

The UV properties of Blue Ghost are destroyed by mixing with other inks; I've tried it with several inks and the results are always the same.

What I mean is that under a very strong UV light, no traces of UV reactivity remain, even when other inks are near-to or completely washed away.

What adding Blue Ghost does for me is to turn non-waterproof inks into nearly waterproof, although the ink colors do change with washing to some degree [shows they've been tampered with].

Since my blends are created primarily for journal use, with longevity of written thoughts my primary goal, it's very important to me that my blends are made into waterproof.

Sure, I could use Noodlers' "bulletproof" or "Eternal" inks but the colors are limited and the Eternal types are way too expensive for me, so this gives me an option I can afford.

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/LevengerForesttestsandblends.jpg

While most people use a 25% bleach solution mixed with water when doing a bleach wash, I take it overboard by using 100% straight Clorox bleach.

Clorox isn't 100% chlorine anyway, mostly water, but it is extremely caustic, having actually burnt papers I've used it on and turned them burnt-brown around areas where applied.

You can see in one scan example [on the left] that my new blend survived a 100% swab-soaking with Clorox bleach; still very legible and only turned the Forest to a light turquoise.

This makes my new blend "fraud-proof", since it's becomes apparent something has been used in an attempt to wash out the ink, by seeing the color change.

Under fluorescent UV [black light] there is no "ghostly" glow remaining in any of the washed samples, mixing inks with Blue Ghost definitely changes it's properties.

Bleached areas have a grayish background under UV, showing where the bleach had soaked into the paper but in lower right sample [where all text was destroyed by bleach] no lettering remained at all under a strong UV light source.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iflywild

• Inka

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the primary ink here [Levenger Forest] is a cartridge ink [@70% of the ratio], not bottled, the ratios are approximate but I believe very close to spot-on accurate:

An @ 3+:1 ratio of Levenger Forest [green] and Noodlers' Blue Ghost, with 2 drops Polar Blue tossed in just for nib lubrication.

Inks were not as accurately measured this time [i'm usually precise in measuring/logging amounts], rather I'd eye-balled for content & amounts inside the cartridge.

I wrote with the Levenger Forest until about 30% in the cartridge was used up, added Blue Ghost to the cartridge until nearly full, then syringed an equivalent of @ 2 drops Polar Blue to top it off.

The UV properties of Blue Ghost are destroyed by mixing with other inks; I've tried it with several inks and the results are always the same.

What I mean is that under a very strong UV light, no traces of UV reactivity remain, even when other inks are near-to or completely washed away.

What adding Blue Ghost does for me is to turn non-waterproof inks into nearly waterproof, although the ink colors do change with washing to some degree [shows they've been tampered with].

Since my blends are created primarily for journal use, with longevity of written thoughts my primary goal, it's very important to me that my blends are made into waterproof.

Sure, I could use Noodlers' "bulletproof" or "Eternal" inks but the colors are limited and the Eternal types are way too expensive for me, so this gives me an option I can afford.

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/LevengerForesttestsandblends.jpg

While most people use a 25% bleach solution mixed with water when doing a bleach wash, I take it overboard by using 100% straight Clorox bleach.

Clorox isn't 100% chlorine anyway, mostly water, but it is extremely caustic, having actually burnt papers I've used it on and turned them burnt-brown around areas where applied.

You can see in one scan example [on the left] that my new blend survived a 100% swab-soaking with Clorox bleach; still very legible and only turned the Forest to a light turquoise.

This makes my new blend "fraud-proof", since it's becomes apparent something has been used in an attempt to wash out the ink, by seeing the color change.

Under fluorescent UV [black light] there is no "ghostly" glow remaining in any of the washed samples, mixing inks with Blue Ghost definitely changes it's properties.

Bleached areas have a grayish background under UV, showing where the bleach had soaked into the paper but in lower right sample [where all text was destroyed by bleach] no lettering remained at all under a strong UV light source.

I have tried Noodler's Blue Ghost with both Noodler's eternal luxury blue and fox red as well as the very non water resistant PR DC SS Blue and the UV effect remained afterwards. After washing off the PR Blue and letting it run and completely smear, the Blue Ghost, much to my surprise, was still very visible under the blacklight. I didn't try it with bleach or anything like that, just plain water, but I thought it was neat to see how it stuck around after the blue was completely illegible. Mixing PR Blue and Ghost in 2:1 makes for a very nice color too.

I have tried Noodler's Blue Ghost with both Noodler's eternal luxury blue and fox red as well as the very non water resistant PR DC SS Blue and the UV effect remained afterwards. After washing off the PR Blue and letting it run and completely smear, the Blue Ghost, much to my surprise, was still very visible under the blacklight. ... Mixing PR Blue and Ghost in 2:1 makes for a very nice color too.

Interesting; I haven't tried mixing Blue Ghost with my only Private Reserve ink yet [Tanzanite] but now I plan to.

Of the inks I currently have, Tanzanite washes out more readily than any of them, losing more than 75%+ to mere water washes.

As deep/dark purple as Tanzanite is when pure, I'm thinking BG might lighten it or maybe even brighten it some in a blend now.

If adding BG makes it more waterproof or "fraud-proof" I'd be a very happy purple ink camper. I'll let you know.

Thanks.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

Mixing it with Blue Ghost did slightly brighten the color, but not to a huge degree. Just knowing that I could still read what I wrote after a spill was reason enough for me to give it a shot because, like you said, Private Reserve ink really doesn't hold up to water. It worked well for me so I hope it does the same for you. And I like your quote, I think it every time someone asks to see my pen and am quietly thankful they only want to look at it.

Edited by iflywild