Lamy Blue

Sandy1

For convenient viewing of the images, you may wish to scroll to the menu at the very bottom of this window to ensure the FPN Theme is http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/ecb8726d-1.jpg.

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Grey Scale below.

As the patches are neutral grey, that is what you should see.

Mac

Wintel PC

Grey Scale.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/b4a04182.jpg

⋮ - ⋮

Figure 1.

Swabs & Swatch

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Lamy%20Blue/968a4249.jpg

Figure 2.

NIB-ism ✑

Depicts nibs' down-stroke width and pens' relative wetness.

IMG-Thumb:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Lamy%20Blue/th_68941d83.jpg

Distance between feint vertical pencil lines is 25mm ↔.

L → R: PCP, M200, 25, 330, Estie, Safari.

Figure 3.

Paper base tints:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Private%20Reserve%20Chocolate/86f3378c.jpg

L → R: HPJ1124, Rhodia, G Lalo white, Royal, Staples 20 lb.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick

Ruling: 8mm.

Figure 4.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Lamy%20Blue/8b8ed5da.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Lamy%20Blue/928b7ef5.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: G Lalo, Verge de France, white.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Lamy%20Blue/054b8506.jpg

Figure 7.

Paper: Royal - 25% rag.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Lamy%20Blue/f6c23f0f.jpg

Figure 8.

Paper: Staples 20lb.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Lamy%20Blue/2903739b.jpg

Figure 9.

Grocery List

Paper: Pulp. One-a-Day calendar page.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Lamy%20Blue/1390a763.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Figure 10.

Smear/Dry Times & Wet Tests ☂

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Lamy%20Blue/9b66bae3.jpg

- - - -

Please Note:

The text template continues to evolve: Paper-related comments were consolidated under the Paper heading, some items related to Use were juggled / eliminated, etc.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type:

• Dye-based fountain pen ink.

Presentation:

• Funktional bottle.

Availability:

• Available when Topic posted.

Daily writer?

• Possible.

A go-to ink?

• When a washable one-size-fits-most Blue ink is desired.

USE

Business:

(From the office of Ms Blue-Black.)

• Suitable for general business use, but is very neutral, having neither gravitas nor animation.
  • Suits general 'grist for the mill' work product, administrivia, and addressing matters in which one is not the least bit interested.
  • Wonderful for filling-out forms.
  • Can be called upon for mark-up or editing of Black text.
  • Not enough zap for error correction or grading.
  • LBl may suit a general purpose desk pen.

Illustrations / Graphics:

• Lack of water resistance may appeal to those who work on wet surfaces, especially cotton paper or canvas, and to generate gradients / wash.

Students:

• Very possible.
  • Perfectly acceptable for written assignments, though if/when something worthwhile occurs, consider an ink with greater ooomph. e.g. Noodler's Ottoman Azure.

Personal:

• Certainly possible, but carries the Look of a 'default' ink, so those with other more interesting inks may find LBl languishing unhugged on a lower shelf. LINK
  • That said, it is not a pure/true Blue, so has some personality.
  • Perfect for pro forma personal business writing, bumph, or to keep in a general use pen that may not be rigourously maintained.
  • If I were to receive a letter written with this ink, I would think LBl was nice enough, then ignore the ink and read what was written before it fades.
  • Invites use of a wide range of nib shapes, widths and flex, which may be called upon to overcome its default appearance; the ink becomes secondary to penmanship.

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• Just a bit dry.

Nib Dry-out:

• Not noticed.

Start-up:

• Immediate.
  • With confidence.

Lubricity:

• Quite good.

Nib Creepers:

• Not seen.

Staining (pen):

• Not seen after three days.

Clogging:

• Not seen.

Bleed- Show-Through:

• Staples 20lb: LINK
  • All other papers were OK - even the highly absorbent Royal.

Feathering / Wooly Line:

• Not seen.

Smell:

• Not noticed.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Not seen.

Clean-Up (pen):

• Rapid and thorough with plain water.

Mixing:

• No stated prohibitions.

Archival:

• Not claimed.
  • Please note that the Lamy site identifies this ink as being 'Washable', so its stability over time may well be quite low; and there are reports of fading. LINK

Smear/Dry Times & Water Resistance:

• Please see Figure 10.
  • Typical of a Washable ink, a WR rating of 'imaginary' is a good thing.

THE LOOK

Presence:

• Default Medium Blue.
  • Hidden.

Saturation:

• Medium.
  • Possible to achieve a solid line.

Shading:

• Good potential.
  • A bit unpredictable, but pleasant enough when it appears.

Line quality:

• Quite good.
  • Suffered a bit on the arid hard textured surface of the G Lalo.
  • Very good on the more absorbent papers.

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • About as expected.

[*]Papers used:

• About as expected.

[*]Malleability:

• About as expected.
    • Determined by selection of pen to a great extent.
    • One can run the ink at considerable range of densities with little risk exposure to an unacceptable result.
    • Those characteristics make LBl a contender for a daily writer ink; and the question of 'Water resistant or Washable?' is left open.

Hi-Res Scans:

(Originals are 60x30mm.)

As I do not wish to be known as 'Queen of The Bandwidth Bandits', these are IMG-thumbs only. To view the images as intended, please click on the image.

PCP on HPJ1124:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Lamy%20Blue/th_040837c0.jpg

25 on Rhodia:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Lamy%20Blue/th_60543b60.jpg

330 on G Lalo:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Lamy%20Blue/th_763e16ea.jpg

Safari on Royal:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Lamy%20Blue/th_bdaaa86e.jpg

FIDELITY

Consistency with the marketing company's online depiction?

• The Lamy site did not depict this ink.

OTHER INKS

This Review includes of some of the same pen+paper combos as my recent Reviews of Blue inks. Consequently, ad hoc comparisons through manipulation of browser windows is supported. That said, if you feel a specific aspect of LBl deserves to be depicted/documented as a stand-alone Topic or Post, your PM will be welcomed.

Swab Swami

IMG-thumb:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Lamy%20Blue/th_4486b501.jpg

L → R: Pelikan Royal Blue, Noodler's Bernanke Blue, Private Reserve Cosmic Cobalt, R&K Blau permanent interlaced with Lamy Blue at densities from three, two and one passes.

PAPER

Lovely papers:

• Whites.
  • Cool whites.

Trip-wire Papers: ☠

• I would steer clear of dirty whites.

Copy/Printer Papers:

• Performed very well on the 20 & 24lb papers.
  • Two-sided use seems likely when using pens of normal wetness.

Tinted Papers:

• Could be run at high density to generate some contrast and a solidly inked line.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• Very much the choice of the author.
  • May be a means to develop a more interesting appearance / experience from this ink.

ETC.

Majik:

• Quite unlikely indeed.

Billets Doux?

• As LBl may be used by school children, it is likely that all sorts of billets doux have been written with this ink. The start of a lifelong love? Or a schoolyard infatuation disappearing at the end of recess? Billet Doux For Beginners perhaps - it can be eradicated.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• The Safari on Royal.
  • I would drive the ink to a darker tone, and enliven the line with a shaped nib.
  • The paper is quite absorbent, which encourages a darker tone.
  • The soft hand of the paper may convey more than the usual tactile interest to the reader - hopefully adding a bit more presence to the hands-on reading experience.

Yickity Yackity:

• Another ink that offers high performance, but not so much allure.
  • Recommended to their clientele by dhobi-wallas.
  • Ah kushbaby, this one might slip through your fingers - unless you have a jones for a dimpled bottom [bottle].

======

NUTS & BOLTS

Pens

Written Samples:

• Platinum Carbon Pen + g-p steel übernarrow nib.
  • Pelikan M200 + g-p steel EF nib.
  • Parker 25 + steel F nib.
  • Sheaffer 330 + steel M nib.
  • Esterbrook J + 9968 steel B nib.
  • Non-nudist Lamy Pink Safari + goosed 1.1 nib.

Lines & labels:

• Diamine Eau de Nil from a Pilot Penmanship + XF nib.
  • rotring 300 lead holder.

Papers:

• HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.
  • Rhodia.
  • G Lalo, Verge de France, white.
  • Royal, 25% cotton rag.
  • Staples 20lb. multi use.
  • Pulp. One-a-Day Calendar page.

Imaging

• An Epson V600 scanner was used with the bundled Epson s/w at factory default settings to produce jpg files.
  • Figures shown were scanned at 200 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Hi-Res Images linked were scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • No post-capture manipulation of scanner output was done, other than dumb-down by Epson, Photo Bouquet & IP.Board s/w.

Densitometer Readings :

HPJ1124

• Red 111
  • Grn 143
  • Blu 246
  • Lum 158

Fine Print

The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of matériel used.

Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.

As always, YMMV; not only from materials, methods, environment, etc., but also due to differences between the stuff I used, and that you may have; and manner of working.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

TAGS: Fountain pen ink review Lamy Blue Sandy1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• acolythe

• stefanv

• wastelanded

You've made this one about as interesting as it's going to get, which is no mean feat. I drained the cartridge that came with the pen and filled it with PdL.

Je ne sais quoi - rien.

Edated for seplling

Edited by wastelanded
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

You've made this one about as interesting as it's going to get, which is no mean feat. I drained the cartridge that came with the pen and filled it with PdL.

Je ne sais quoi - rien.

Edated for seplling

Hi,

Yes, well, even simple inks can be appreciated for what they are, and where they might find a place in one's inky array.

I faced a similar challenge when I looked at Pelikan Royal Blue.

It seems that to earn the designation of 'Washable', some properties which would make them more visually attractive are sacrificed. Yet we do have an ink that is very much fit for purpose.

And so it goes . . .

Bye,

S1

_ _ _

Edit - to add: Despite the vast range of choices, the favourite ice cream flavour is still Vanilla.

Edited by Sandy1

Thanks for another comprehensive reviewthumbup.gif

Personally, I'm not a fan of this colour (or other Lamy colours actually). Even though I quite like their pens, I think other brands provide nicer inks for less money.

Hi,

Yes, well, even simple inks can be appreciated for what they are, and where they might find a place in one's inky array.

I faced a similar challenge when I looked at Pelikan Royal Blue.

It seems that to earn the designation of 'Washable', some properties which would make them more visually attractive are sacrificed. Yet we do have an ink that is very much fit for purpose.

And so it goes . . .

Bye,

S1

_ _ _

Edit - to add: Despite the vast range of choices, the favourite ice cream flavour is still Vanilla.

Of course, vanilla is the favourite; it's familiar and safe, and good for most occasions. There is vanilla, then there is French Vanilla. There is 'washable blue', then there is Bleu Myosotis. Just saying ;)

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Thanks for another comprehensive reviewthumbup.gif

Personally, I'm not a fan of this colour (or other Lamy colours actually). Even though I quite like their pens, I think other brands provide nicer inks for less money.

Hi,

You're welcome!

It seems this ink does not have a huge number of supporters on FPN.

If I were to play a word association game, the word 'Lamy' would likely elicit a response of 'Safari' - not 'Ink'.

But I do like their Turquoise. (Almost any Turquoise for that matter.)

Bye,

S1

Thanks for the review.

This is my absolute favorite every day blue for underlining, marginalia and jotting non-permanent notes. It is so well-behaved on very low quality paper. And when I use it on Ampad Gold Fibre planning bads, it comes out to be quite a rich, vibrant blue. It's low-maintenance, low-cost and comes in a very user-friendly bottle.

I didn't like it at first but then after I saw how well it behaved even on Moleskine, I got hooked. I use about one bottle per year.

IMO, Lamy Blue is under-appreciated.

I also very much appreciate the bottled Lamy Blue-Black (iron gall/old formula). Lamy Turquoise is a solid turquoise and I recently returned to using Lamy Black in my rotation for certain purposes.

Edited by bwnewton

Hi,

You're welcome!

If I were to play a word association game, the word 'Lamy' would likely elicit a response of 'Safari' - not 'Ink'.

Bye,

S1

Given the target market of this ink - schoolkids - I think it hits the mark. I probably would not put any other ink in my son's Lamy ABC, as it will probably rinse out even if the pen occasionally gets left lying around inked for a bit longer than it should - given that he mainly uses a pencil for writing (he is 5 years old).

I bought two bottles of Lamy Blue for use at work. I've since developed a taste for more saturated blues for standard nibs or better shading inks for more expressive nibs. It's going to be a long time working through those two bottles!

/Soundsider

...jumps over the lazy dog.

Note that this ink is also erasable using a Pelikan Super-Pirat or similar fountain pen ink eradicator. In the scan below, the white line was made with a Super-Pirat:

http://www.stefanv.com/pens/fpn_photos/lamy-blue.jpg

Edited by stefanv

Stefan Vorkoetter

Visit my collection of fountain pen articles at StefanV.com.

A pen from my collection:

spacer.png

Thanks for the review.

This is my absolute favorite every day blue for underlining, marginalia and jotting non-permanent notes. It is so well-behaved on very low quality paper. And when I use it on Ampad Gold Fibre planning bads, it comes out to be quite a rich, vibrant blue. It's low-maintenance, low-cost and comes in a very user-friendly bottle.

I didn't like it at first but then after I saw how well it behaved even on Moleskine, I got hooked. I use about one bottle per year.

IMO, Lamy Blue is under-appreciated.

I also very much appreciate the bottled Lamy Blue-Black (iron gall/old formula). Lamy Turquoise is a solid turquoise and I recently returned to using Lamy Black in my rotation for certain purposes.

Hi,

You're welcome!

I'm so glad to hear from one of those who consider LBl a favourite! :)

I think your everyday experience emphasises the core properties that are attractive. Hey, the stuff works well - don't knock it.

Thanks for identifying a specific paper that gives 'quite a rich, vibrant blue'.

I am curious about the pen/s used with LBl: Do you favour a wet nib?

We are indeed spoiled for choice; and it is so very easy to overlook / under-appreciate 'standard' inks.

(When I did the One Of The Ten series, that theme haunted Waterman Florida Blue, Sheaffer Skrip Blue & Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue.)

Thanks also for not mentioning Lamy Green - you are so considerate! :happyberet:

Bye,

S1

Hi,

You're welcome!

Bye,

S1

Given the target market of this ink - schoolkids - I think it hits the mark. I probably would not put any other ink in my son's Lamy ABC, as it will probably rinse out even if the pen occasionally gets left lying around inked for a bit longer than it should - given that he mainly uses a pencil for writing (he is 5 years old).

Hi,

I really don't know about Lamy's intended 'target market', but LBl would seem a Go-To ink for younger people: washable and low maintenance.

Even if LBl is rather pale and does not have the p☀p of NBsBl, for a youngster accustomed to pencil, it must be quite something to write in Blue ink!

Has the lad penned his first billet doux? :)

Bye,

S1

I bought two bottles of Lamy Blue for use at work. I've since developed a taste for more saturated blues for standard nibs or better shading inks for more expressive nibs. It's going to be a long time working through those two bottles!

/Soundsider

Hi,

Consider mixing it with other simple dye-based inks. e.g. To temper the flow of a wet Blue ink; or lighten the tone of a Dark Blue.

I have some perfectly good inks that are just 'not for me', so those are relegated to the Mixing Corral. They are being used-up, albeit slowly.

Bye,

S1

Thanks for the review.

I'm going to solidly back this: .."IMO, Lamy Blue is under-appreciated".. and the supportive points.

It's not bulletproof, highly saturated, shaded to another color, etc etc.

But, each month, when I reviewed 4 weeks of reports, Lamy blue was a true blue, that clearly stood out from the sea of every gel formula out there. Mostly used in Lamy Mk nib, Fine, Plumix M/F, refilled Varsity, Plaisir, with 100% perfect flow, on every paper imaginable. It dried quickly, no smears, (except on carbon type receipts, But, LB was better on this notoriously unfriendly paper than any other.

It also did wash out of my clothing.

Sandy's true blue color rendering here is spot on, But I find in my frequent usage that he color is a more intense, less washed out blue, than I see via monitor.

With all of the wonderful inks to select from. I'm still going to recommend Lamy Bottled Blue, as a solid, well-behaved, basic blue. particularly when you seek > Washable.

Thanks for the review, and discussion : )

Just to say, I'm a fan of Lamy blue, too.

I use this ink (along with Parker Quink washable blue) on daily basis for any note-taking at the office.

I think this to inks are very great, because they are washable, low-maintenance and very well behaved on cheaper copy-papers.

So long,

Toni

/Soundsider

Hi,

Consider mixing it with other simple dye-based inks. e.g. To temper the flow of a wet Blue ink; or lighten the tone of a Dark Blue.

I have some perfectly good inks that are just 'not for me', so those are relegated to the Mixing Corral. They are being used-up, albeit slowly.

Bye,

S1

I have used both Lamy Blue and Pelikan Royal Blue to "tame" Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue. Mixed 1:1, it makes the Supershow Blue much less wet, but still almost as saturated. It also knocks out the small amount of teal that I perceive in the SSB. A 2:1 mix of Pelikan or Lamy to DCSSB is also still a very saturated ink, and a very pure blue.

Stefan Vorkoetter

Visit my collection of fountain pen articles at StefanV.com.

A pen from my collection:

spacer.png

One of my favorite inks as well. Thanks stefanv for the ink mix dilutions.

Excellent review sandy.

http://www.ishafoundation.org/images/stories/inner/ie-logo.gif

Inner Engineering Link

One more Lamy Blue Positive.

It's easy to clean out of the pen.

Yesterday quickly flushed the daily Lamy user pens.

Those with high saturation inks, and waterproof qualities, took all day - even the yellow.

One is still soaking. (Swan red)

I love the saturated inks.

Just thinking a good basic true blue ink gets overlooked ; )

Note that this ink is also erasable using a Pelikan Super-Pirat or similar fountain pen ink eradicator. In the scan below, the white line was made with a Super-Pirat:

http://www.stefanv.com/pens/fpn_photos/lamy-blue.jpg

Hi,

Many thanks for posting the dramatic image that emphasises yet another valuable and rather unique property of Washable inks! :thumbup:

The ability to be eradicated was mentioned, but clearly not under the appropriate point. ('Billets-Doux' rather than 'Type'.) Perhaps the new template set-up caused such an egregious oversight.

IIRC, there was some mention that where eradicator was used, the paper will turn quite yellow. Have you found that to be the case?

Bye,

S1

Thanks for the review.

snip

snip

Sandy's true blue color rendering here is spot on, But I find in my frequent usage that he color is a more intense, less washed out blue, than I see via monitor.

With all of the wonderful inks to select from. I'm still going to recommend Lamy Bottled Blue, as a solid, well-behaved, basic blue. particularly when you seek > Washable.

Thanks for the review, and discussion : )

Hi,

You're welcome!

Thanks for confirming the colour rendering. The 'presence' though is nigh impossible to convey, for me at least. As ever, the ink-on-paper to pixels-on-monitor is an imperfect translation - the viewing media is completely different. Nothing new there.

LBl might be a pleasant surprise when seen in person. Certainly one worth giving a fair go - another addition to the list of inks to sample?

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1