Visconti Portofino L.e., #26 Of 150 - 2001

Chi Town

Hello, the 2nd shoe has dropped with this pen today in regards to my other listing for the Yard-O-Led. This Visconti Portofino L.E. was the 2nd pen that I purchased this week from a dear friend, as mentioned in my Yard-O-Led listing. How can I say enough when a friend touches one's heart in selling you not one, but two Beautiful pens all in one week! I am at a loss for words here. So I guess I will get on with my Review.

Appearance & Design (10-10) - http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/YOLandPortofinoFountainPens008.jpghttp://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/YOLandPortofinoFountainPens009.jpg

This is one of those pens that is so unique that I, for the purpose's of this Review, have to keep it in front of me, just to stare at. The colors, and lines are so, ?? I can't even find the correct words now, but you can see the picture for yourselve's.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/YOLandPortofinoFountainPens011.jpg. This pen is faceted with 12 sides. The material is a remarkable cream/ivory/black cellulose acetate (celluloid), somewhat reminiscent of a horn; The clip and cap band are sterling silver.

I don't think it's a conservative pen, or avant-garade, or ostentatious or subliminal, or utilitarian. Maybe plain and simple it is just "pure art work" by how all the color's and lines come together, reminisent of a modern era. When I first seen the pen, I really did not know what to think about it, but then again I had a Yard-O-Led looking me in the face and I had been wanting one of those for the longest time! So unfortunately, this poor Visconti Portofino L.E. was moved to the back burner for a bit. But something about it, kept me looking at it. Those lines and color's!http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/YOLandPortofinoFountainPens010.jpg

Construction & Quality (10-10) - This is a solid pen, although is is a very light pen, weight wise. We'll cover that in the next topic. There are no manufacturing flaws or seams. It does not feel flimsy or rugged. I would not fear dropping this pen, although it is such a L.E. pen that one would take exception care to make sure one is not put into a position where this does not happen.

Weight & Dimensions (9-10) - I think that this is an average size pen that is suitable for most everyone.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/PensforSizeComparrison001.jpg, the pens along side it are; The Yard-O-Led, A Lamy and a Nakaya Decopod Cigar. So you can see, it is an average size pen. The cap does post, but I personally do not post pens like this, as this one is pretty well balance without being posted. Now for the actuall sizes; This pen is full of ink, so it is a little heavier than usual right now; it weighs 32.1g's , It is 5.5" Capped and 6.5" Posted, the Circumfrence of the barrel is .48" and the same for the cap is .53".

Nib & Performance (10-10) - The nib is an 18kt two toned stub nib. (c.2001) It is inscribed "Visconti / 18k / 750 / Firenze / S". The nib is a smooth, crisp 18k stub. I have no idea if this nib is user serviceable, where it can be easily removed and replaced with a nib of a different size. But that this point, I have no intention of replacing this nib as it writes so nice! Besides, being a Visconti, I believe those nibs have to go back to Visconti to be changed out anyway.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/YOLandPortofinoFountainPens016.jpg

Filling System & Maintenance (10-10) - This pen uses a integrated pistion type converter system, but it cannot be removed and swapped with a cartridge. So it is a converter only as far as I can tell.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/YOLandPortofinoFountainPens017.jpg I am not aware of how much ink this cartridge holds, but as best as I can tell it holds just as much ink as a typical cartridge for a normal fountain pen holds, or any other Visconti Converter holds.

Cost & Value (10-10) - I found an old FPN listing from 2007, that showed this pen had an MSRP, not sure if it's was true or not, of $400.00. As I stated in my Yard-O-Led Pen Review, I picked this pen up from a dear friend, so there fore I will not be disclosing the purchase price, I hope you all understand that. :-).

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/YOLandPortofinoFountainPens014.jpg

Conclusion (Final Score, 59-60) - This pen is really wearing on me! By that I mean that the more that I look at it and write with it the more that I like it. Has it met my expectations? It has exceeded my expectations, in all ways imaginable. Would I buy this pen again? Not only would I buy this pen again, but if my wifey liked Fountain Pens, and she does not, "bic 19 cents is her motto", This is the pen that I would really like to buy for her! This pen, like my Yard-O-Led will be used as both a user and a collection piece, based entirely on whom I purchased it from and what that person means to me. I would just die if anything happened to this or the YOL pen. http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/YOLandPortofinoFountainPens013.jpg

Hope that you found this Review enjoyable and of something to learn from. Best Regards, Mike

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chi Town

• breaker

• dcpritch

• empyrean

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the cool details about this pen is the clip. The sterling silver clip is meant to represent the 1992 America's Cup challenger "Il Moro di Venezia", riding a wave; the clip was designed by Visconti specifically for the sailors of that great sailboat. The Italian challenger did not win the America's Cup in 1992, but the clip design was authorized for use on later pens such as the Voyager and Uffizi series. As a sailor and an America's Cup groupie, this little detail just adds depth to an already beautiful pen. Great review of a lovely pen, Chi Town!

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

What a pretty pen!! Now, I want one, too! :rolleyes:

empyrean Conklin,Stipula Pyrite, Bon Voyage & Tuscany Dreams Siena, Levengers, Sailor 1911,Pelikan M200, Bexley BX802, AoLiWen Music Notes pen, Jinhao's,1935 Parker Deluxe Challenger, 1930s Eversharp Gold Seal RingTop, 1940s Sheaffer Tuckaway, 1944 Sheaffer Triumph, Visconti Van Gogh midi, Esties!(SJ, T, and J),Cross Townsend Medalist & Aventura, 1930s Mentmore Autoflow, A bunch of Conway-Stewarts 84, Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue(med); Montegrappa Elmo (broad nib), Delta "The Journal" (med nib), Conklin Yellowstone (med nib)

One of the cool details about this pen is the clip. The sterling silver clip is meant to represent the 1992 America's Cup challenger "Il Moro di Venezia", riding a wave; the clip was designed by Visconti specifically for the sailors of that great sailboat. The Italian challenger did not win the America's Cup in 1992, but the clip design was authorized for use on later pens such as the Voyager and Uffizi series. As a sailor and an America's Cup groupie, this little detail just adds depth to an already beautiful pen. Great review of a lovely pen, Chi Town!

Thank You, dcpritch! I was NOT aware of the information that you just added to my Beautiful new pen. That is some really kool stuff, and to think that I am now in possession of such an interesting piece if history, so to speak. :-)

lovely color :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time