Diamine Denim

DanielCoffey

INK : DIAMINE DENIM

PAPER : RHODIA #16 A5 white lined

PEN : Onoto Magna 261 Medium nib tweaked for wet flow by John Sorowka (Oxonian).

Scanner : IT8-calibrated Epson V600 flatbed

Colour Space : Adobe RGB

Matte : 50% grey and 100% white

Post-process : Unsharp Mask

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewDenim.jpg

Here is a close-up of the swab. I noticed a little metallic sheen on the two and three pass areas of the swab which you can just make out in the scan...

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewDenimSwab.jpg

And a close-up of the shading.

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewDenimShade.jpg

Since this is one of the newer inks from Diamine I wanted to run the usual drip and soak tests on it. While I can understand folks needing to know how an ink will react outdoors in the rain or where at risk of the odd coffee ring, I suspect those of us who machine-wash our journals are pretty rare. As expected, this ink is in NO way water resistant but then Diamine never said it was.

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewDenimWater.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DanielCoffey

• The Good Captain

• lapis

• Sandy1

After a number of accidents involving shirt pockets and fountain pens I don't mind washable inks. The only waterproof ink I have is Akkerman's Diep Duinwaterblauw. As for Denim, the review shows why it's one of my new favourites: blue, flat and unassuming.

A great review, Daniel (superb pen, by the way!) and along with Midnight, these are two of my favourite dark blue inks. And I'm sure you won't misunderstand me when I say that this is a particularly good review because it's short, sweet and perfectly to the point.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks for the comments, guys. The idea behind keeping these reviews short is that I aim to just provide a writing sample followed by a good scan. A few words about the ink (since others will invariably have commented on drying time and so on) then a nice and accurate closeup.

My Onoto has just been given an annual ultrasonic bath and is feeling pretty clean at the moment. Even after a few pages, the flow was still high and under those circumstances the more saturated Daimines will be dark and consistent in colour.

Oh, a heads up - I have just placed an order for the other 14 "new" Diamines that are currently available and will be working my way through them all in the same format. Once I have played with them all, they will of course be going on my Ink Exchange thread for those ditherers who have not made their minds up about Misty Blue or Beau Blue... or can I just get by with Sargasso... or do I need Eau de Nil as well?

In the words of the beach-lovely at the end of Trading Places... "Can't we have both?"

How would you compare Denim to Twilight? Looks like Denim has more shading, but the colours aren't that far apart?

I can put these up for comparison only - not to detract from the original review.

fpn_1325438511__diamine_denim.jpg

fpn_1329932424__diamine_twilight.jpg

An I suppose a look at Midnight wouldn't be out of place here either.

fpn_1327508427__diamine_midnight.jpg

Edited by The Good Captain

The Good Captain

So it looks to me like Denim leans purple and Twlight leans green. Is that what people are seeing? It's almost like Private Reserve Midnight Blues versus Private Reserve Black Magic Blue.

ETA: When I got this ink, it almost immediately superseded Diamine Majestic Blue as my single favorite ink. It's all business but clearly not anything you're going to get out of a ballpoint/rollerball. If I had to pick one ink, it would definitely be this one.

Edited by Jimmy James

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Thanks for showing those comparison scans, TGC - it is nice to see them side by side.

I agree with you, Jimmy - Diamine Denim is perfectly work-safe but is still different enough that it never came from anything in the Stationery Cupboard... unless you work for a company that sells fountain pen supplies of course! I have no idea what Brian and Rachel have in their cupboard.

This is terrible! I hate reviews like this!! They're costing me a fortune!!!

Okay, okay, I'm back on the ground. Very nice review. Thanks too for your succinctness.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Er, Mike... you do know that I have just placed an order for ALL FOURTEEN of the other "new" Diamine inks don't you? And that it is only a week or so to the release of the last five? Which includes Sargasso Sea? And Grape?

Deep breath, Mike.

Yes, now you know why I am out of breath. I had already ordered all of these too, and they're apparently still not out on the market. Maybe we should advocate a Diamine subforum?

:wacko:

Yes, now you know why I am out of breath. I had already ordered all of these too, and they're apparently still not out on the market. Maybe we should advocate a Diamine subforum?

:wacko:

There are precedents.

'Diamines Are A Girls' Best Friend' and 'Diamines Are Forever' to name but two.

The Good Captain

Montblanc's Diamonds are not my best friend.

I can put these up for comparison only - not to detract from the original review.

[...]

An I suppose a look at Midnight wouldn't be out of place here either.

Not to mention Eclipse or Bilberry <sigh>

Many thanks! I think I'm going to have to buy Diamine's small bottles, so I can try more colours... Denim looks darker/denser than Twilight on my screen, which is a plus point, but I'm glad I plumped for Twilight over Midnight, especially with Sargasso Sea on the way.

This ink looks a lot like Herbin's Bleu Nuite. Anyone have both who can compare them?

I don't have any non-Diamine inks for comparison I am afraid but looking at the three reviews of Bleu Nuit in the index, I would say Denim was a similar tone as Bleu Nuit but more saturated and a bit darker.

Edited by DanielCoffey

can't find a big difference with diamine prussian blue :blink: nice color anyway thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Prussian Blue is about the same tone as Denim but is a lot less saturated. Consider Denim to be the "new" Prussian Blue.

I believe it is actually quite a traditional colour too. The wiki suggests it is one of the first chemically synthesised colours.

Here's my Prussian Blue.

fpn_1337810657__diamine_prussian_blue.jpg

And Denim again.

fpn_1325438511__diamine_denim.jpg

The Good Captain