Twsbi Vac 700

Jimmy James

This review is also available at my new blog, The Inked Nib.

Page 1: Norcom (USA) Single Subject Notebook Paper

Page 2: TOPS Second Nature Legal Pad Paper

Private Reserve Midnight Blues Ink

Lengths (approximate): 5 1/4 inches unposted, 5 3/4 inches capped, and 6 1/2 inches posted

The TWSBI Vac 700 is my 9th TWSBI fountain pen.The others are all 530s or 540s. I dare say this is my favorite of them all. I bought my pen with a broad nib in Smoke. I also love the orange, and I am looking forward to the clear model.

Unlike the piston fillers, this TWSBI features a smooth barrel and faceted cap/blind knob. I love that combination. It just feels right in my hand.

I do find this filling system slightly frustrating. I have not yet mastered the method for getting a more complete fill. The darkness of the smoke pen does make this less of a concern for me.

TWSBI put a number six nib on this pen. It really fits well. The pen also works reasonably well when posted, unlike my TWSBI piston fillers. I really like that the pen posts on the body of the pen and not the knob.

I am a fan of the ink shutoff valve on this pen. It will be important once I get a complete fill to be able to keep the pen from burping ink like an eyedropper.

At $85, this pen is not quite the bargain the original 530 was. It is still a very well priced pen. The Pilot Custom series vac filler and Visconti Power Fillers are much more expensive.

I have not yet used the pen enough to know if it will be in my top ten pens (but I think it will!). It will be close. I am planning on getting this pen ground by the professional at Pendemonium. I’m thinking of getting an about .9mm stub. Once that work is done, I am sure my opinion of this pen will rise further. I will miss the pen when it is away for grinding. :(

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7224/7213446422_173fb1edb8_z.jpg

Review by Erechtheus, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7072/7213451552_98fea07340_z.jpg

Review by Erechtheus, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7214/7213369142_8fb24c1e1c_z.jpg

TWSBI Vac 700 by Erechtheus, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7082/7213372172_85b9dde66d_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7094/7213366246_9cc58c0968_z.jpg

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jimmy James

• watch_art

• Silvermink

• krbmsw

Great review, I also have the Vac 700 in Gray but went with the Medium nib. The only thing I dont understand is why the click of the pen has brushed metal and all other metal finishes are mirrored finished? I love the feel of the pen as well.

In order to fully fill the pen I have found this to be an invaluable source:

It worked perfectly!

Thanks for the link to the video. I have heard about it but had not yet tracked it down. Now it is here for me and any others to use!

I actually like the contrasting clip. I think it works because it matches the look of the engraving on the cap band. It did take me a while to come to that conclusion, and my conclusion is also based on the increased utility of the clip overall compared to the 530/540 clip. It is my hope that when the piston filler is redesigned (which as I understand it is in progress), it will feature exactly the same clip.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Nice review, thanks for sharing. Was using one of my Pendemonium cursive italics last night. Their nib work is awesome no question about it, please update writing sample after your nib conversion.

Great review, just one nit to pick. The pen is more likely to burp when the ink level is low and not when it's totally full. When it's full there's no air to get warmed by your hand and to expand and force ink out of the feed. When the ink level is low you'll really need the cut off.

Other than that, great review as I said. I too want an updated writing sample when the nib is ground.

I have mine in amber. It's more expensive than the 540 but the build quality of the Vac 700 feels more solid. I guess it has to be because the fill system places more stress on the body. It's still a bargain compared to the next available vacuum plunger. I'm not terribly impressed with the nail-hard nib but it flows well with a little adjustment.

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.

I think the stainless steel rod in the pen is also a surprisingly large part of the reason for the cost. The raw materials for the 540 might cost a couple bucks maybe? Mind you, that's not counting the cost of tooling for the injecting molding. I get the idea that the rod in the 700 might be a few dollars all on its own. It has to be really high quality, I'd venture, for it to be suitable for ink contact.

Great review, but...

I don't get this pen. The filling system is awesome and all - but the rest of the pen just seems like an afterthought.

"Hey - let's make a pen with this filler!"

"Great! What should the pen look like?"

"Huh?"

:glare:

The section is what really kills it for me.

thanks for the review. I am still deciding whether getting the TWSBI 700.

I spend too much on pens in the last month.

Just received my TWSBI Vac 700 in Sapphire, decided on a Fine nib as I've got a Medium in my 530 and it feels a bit too broad for me.

Inked the pen with The Writing Desk's Imperial Blue. Writes nicely and feels good in the hand.

I think I'll use it a lot!!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

thanks for the review. I am still deciding whether getting the TWSBI 700.

I spend too much on pens in the last month.

The past month or so has been a really active month for me as well. I swore I wasn't going to buy the 700, but then I did.

I just went ahead and ordered an Amber one in Fine from the Goulets. I got rejected from a graduate program I really wanted to go to, so I bought my writer a present to keep his spirits up.

All my 540s have cracked barrels. I gotbthe blue but if it cracks then this company is dead to me. .

Two of my 540 barrels cracked near the piston.

I wanted to want this pen. I love the idea of the filler system. Between the out of place brushed clip (when the rest of the pen hardware is polished) and that big step in the section, my interest waned.

I'm sure there's another TWSBI in my future. They're a great company. This one just isn't it. And hey, not all things can appeal to all people. I'm happy for the people who are pleased with their new pens, though.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

— Dr. Seuss

• 2 weeks later...

Dang - I had wanted one but that section step looks very similar to the one that led me to sell my Pilot Bamboo. :(

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Great review, but...

I don't get this pen. The filling system is awesome and all - but the rest of the pen just seems like an afterthought.

"Hey - let's make a pen with this filler!"

"Great! What should the pen look like?"

"Huh?"

:glare:

The pen feels really nice and it looks prettier than the pictures would show.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I had some serious misgivings about the step at the (not actually a) joint, but I've found since I got it that it's not the source of misery I'd worried it might be. It's not a 100% non-issue, and depending on grip and sensitivity it might put one off, but I'd definitely downgrade the threat level a couple of stages.

{stoogevoice}Oh, a cylinder-hater, huh?{/stoogevoice}

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg