Noodler's Walnut

Ruminator

Here's the next step in my search for a brown ink that pleases my eye and has some degree of water-resistance. I don't really know what got me started on browns, but something did. Perhaps it was one of Sandy1's reviews that got me to thinking about a brown ink for my personal writing and use in informal letters (to my kids).

My first brown was Noodler's #41 in the 2012 formulation. I still need to write that review, I think. I bought the bottle after reading a review, but regret it slightly. It's impossible to keep my Parker 51 (Cocoa, of course) running with #41. But, I'm getting ahead of myself and this isn't even a review about #41 Brown. It does, however, lend insight into my purchase of a bottle of Noodler's Walnut.

That attached hand-written review (I must work on my penmanship) includes a sample of #41 Brown and standard Brown for comparison. I also have a Parker 51 (demi vacumatic in cordovan, of course) loaded with Noodler's Red-Black and included it for comparison too. The standard Brown is slightly warmer than the Walnut and slightly lighter in shade (not shading). The #41 is slightly lighter too and a bit less saturated, at least to my eye. The Red-Black is clearly, um, red. :)

I am satisfied that I purchased the bottle of Walnut. I believe it will serve my purpose quite well. It's a deep, saturated brown with decent water-resistance. My wet-finger-rub test is quite a challenge to ink, especially on this coated paper. I'm beginning to see a pattern develop as I use the same paper and format for ink reviews. Dry time is acceptable on this paper as well.

I do think I'd like a bottle of standard Brown, too. I'll ink up another pen with my sample of Noodler's Kiowa Pecan this week and get a comparison of all four browns in my possession together in one review. I might have enough to make a set of swab comparisons as well, but will post those in that other forum. :)

Enjoy. Comments are welcome, of course.

-=d

post-72114-0-60924200-1335750931.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruminator

• tenney

• majorworks

• Bogon07

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like Kiowa Pecan but I don't know that it's going to give you much water resistance. It also takes a while to dry on better papers.

Happiness is an Indian ED!

Noodler's Walnut was one of my first bunch of inks and the only one ever loaded into my Coffee Al-Star. I think it really captures the essence of the walnut colour, in fact it is very close the the Walnut wood stain we have at home. It also goes well on creamy Rhodia papers.

Unfortunately your sample of the #41 Brown also looks very attractive and will hopefully find its way into my ink collection.

sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink

Great review! I actually really love the look of the #41, though I've never had my hands on it. The Walnut is a very handsome ink too.

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

Oo. Walnut is one of my favorite inks (not just a favorite brown), and it looks very, very close to the standard Brown. In the comparison in your review, the standard Brown looks just the tiniest bit more red. Would you say that's true? I see where you said that it's a warmer brown than Walnut.

Thank you for these reviews, Ruminator!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I like Kiowa Pecan but I don't know that it's going to give you much water resistance. It also takes a while to dry on better papers.

Thanks for the heads-up. I have several inks that are, um, slow-dryers. :) If the color works for me, I'm willing to be patient (at least a little). I'm going to fire up my sample, either later this week or perhaps over the weekend. I grabbed a pen yesterday, but discovered the nib needs some minor tweaking and so I didn't load the ink. I will, however, and follow this review up with another of the Kiowa Pecan, including my assessment of drying time. :)

Noodler's Walnut was one of my first bunch of inks and the only one ever loaded into my Coffee Al-Star. I think it really captures the essence of the walnut colour, in fact it is very close the the Walnut wood stain we have at home. It also goes well on creamy Rhodia papers. Unfortunately your sample of the #41 Brown also looks very attractive and will hopefully find its way into my ink collection.

The Walnut works well in my Rhodia journal and Moleskine reporter's notebook (my EDC notebook). Although it's not the color of walnuts, nor the color of unstained walnut wood, it is the color of the top of my worktable, which is a deep, saturated brown. I like the treatment in my Rhodia notebook (with the creamy paper), but I might not be as picky about that as some. The ink comes out of the pen, it doesn't take too long to dry (even with a fairly wet writer), and the color doesn't smack me upside the head. Howzat? :)

Great review! I actually really love the look of the #41, though I've never had my hands on it. The Walnut is a very handsome ink too.

Sandy1 has a review of the 2012 formulation of Noodler's #41 Brown. It's a lighter, thinner shade of brown. However, it's a high(er) maintenance ink and I find it to be a dry-writer in a medium nib Parker 51 (the same pen used for this review) and an Estie J with a 9668 nib (normally a medium-wet writer). So long as you're OK with that, go for it. I'd recommend snagging a sample first. Sandy1 finds the scent of #41 Brown... um... offensive. I haven't been so affected, but I'm not known for my olfactory sense. ;)

Oo. Walnut is one of my favorite inks (not just a favorite brown), and it looks very, very close to the standard Brown. In the comparison in your review, the standard Brown looks just the tiniest bit more red. Would you say that's true? I see where you said that it's a warmer brown than Walnut.Thank you for these reviews, Ruminator!

You're welcome, ma'am! The standard Brown is a bit more red (warmer) than the Walnut (and the #41). If you look at the wet-finger rub in the standard Brown review I did a few days ago, the red is apparent in the wash. I really like the shade (color) of the standard Brown and might have to buy a bottle of that to run in one of my pens. It's really a good color.

Thanks all, for the feedback. I have a few more samples yet.

-=d

I'm going to have to check this out when my CdA Grand Canyon runs low.

Thanks for including #41 and the regular brown in your comparison scan. Walnut is very nice.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

Perhaps my second favorite ink - and that's only because it's not my favorite color (blue.) Great subtle but warm color with pleasant shading.

As I work with the browns in my collection, I believe you are correct. The addition of a little more red (subtly) warms up the brown just enough. It's really a very good color.

I'm going to have to check this out when my CdA Grand Canyon runs low.

I don't know this one, but be sure to order a sample to play with. :)

Thanks for including #41 and the regular brown in your comparison scan. Walnut is very nice.

I really want to love the #41 Brown. It has some excellent properties (water-resistance as well as resistance to other solvents). But it looks just a little thin and it's dry. That's really a bummer. I'm looking for the previous formula, but doubt I find any. If I do, I'll probably buy them out.

Thanks!

-=d

As for browns, I still love Diamine Chocolate Brown... but plan to give Walnut a try.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)