Nakaya Decapod Cigar Aka - Tamenuri

Chi Town

Hello, I have been wanting a Nakaya for some time now, but the price of my two Danitrio's got in the way, until yesterday when this Nakaya came up for sale on FPN and I felt I could not pass it up. My wifey is not reading this is she???? Anyway between the price that it was offered for, the next day shipping and the style of the Fountain Pen beat me up too bad, so I pulled the trigger and bought it. Now here is my Review of it and I hope you like it, so here goes!

Appearance & Design (10-10)

The word Decapod indicates the shape. This name means ten feet or ten facets. The cigar means without clip.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/NakayaDecapodCigar003.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/NakayaDecapodCigar009.jpg

I am almost confused when it comes to this appearance & Design, because I could just sit here and stare at this pen and I just don't know what to think about it as it is just so stunning!The finish is glossy and shinny all at once, with the combination of the two color's jumping out at you. It makes me all "giddy" inside just to look at it, as if I am waiting for it to do something. The Urushi application appears to glow from within. The darker outer color "pulls back" from the edges leaving an impression of inner light. This occurs on every edge of this pen, so the faceted models exhibit many opportunities for this effect. The Urushi lacquer acts something like a ceramic glazze, emphasizing the form.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/CigarDecapodReddishRedDarkDetail3.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/CigarDecapodReddishRedDarkDetail2.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/CigarDecapodReddishRedDarkDetail.jpg

Construction & Quality (10-10)

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/NakayaDecapodCigar007.jpg

On my pen, there are NO manufacturing seams or flaws of any kind what so ever! Nor does the pen feel flimsey or rugged. It feels very smooth.

Weight & Dimensions (10-10)

At 5 7/8" Capped, 5.1" uncapped and unposted, weighing in at 18.5 grams dry weight, all this makes this pen very comfortable to handle and to write with.

Nib & Performance (10-10)

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/NakayaDecapodCigar005.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/NakayaDecapodCigar006.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/NakayaDecapodCigar010.jpg

My pen came with a Medium nib, that writes like Butter. Here are some other nibs that Nakaya offer's;

Nakaya Nibs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We offer the entire range of Nakaya nibs from Extra-Extra-Fine to Extra Broad. Please note that Nakaya nibs run finer than any other nib we know about - the Medium Nakaya runs about a half-size finer than the Pelikan or Bexley Medium. We find that this Medium Nakaya nib is a great compromise between the finer and less smooth tips and an ideal size for everyday note taking. The Medium and Fine nibs are also available in flexible "Soft" versions, and the Fine Soft in particular is highly suitable for John's popular Spencerian customization.

1. Super Extra Fine, 0.10mm. Especially suited for fine numbers and characters, suitable for bookkeeping. Requires light touch.

2. Extra Fine, 0.18mm. For fine numbers and characters, suitable for students' note taking. Light touch recommended

3. Fine, 0.28 mm. For general fine characters, suitable for students' note taking. Also available in flexible Soft.

4. Medium, 0.49mm. Smooth writing, suitable for general writing. Also available in flexible Soft. At no additional charge.

5. Broad, 0.60mm. Suitable for manuscript, address writing.

6. Extra Broad, 1.00mm. Suitable for those who love broad writing.

7. Music Nib, 1.15mm. For an additional $80.00 for the single tone and $125 for the two-tone we can provide the double slit music nib. It is much like a stub with a generous ink delivery.

Nakaya has created three new nib plating colors to match the trim colors (clip, etc.). Above from the left, the ruthenium color, pink gold color, and rhodium color ( all plated).

The core material of each nib is the same as the regular Nakaya 14K gold nibs.

The additional cost for the special plating is $50.00

Nib

Options Mono-

tone Two-

tone Special Plating colors Mono-

tone

Music Two-

tone

Music Mono-

tone

soft

flexible Two-

tone

soft

flexible

Size

Available XXF,EF,

F, M, B,

and BB XXF,EF,

F, M, B,

and BB XXF,EF,

F, M, B,

and BB Approx.

1.15mm Approx.

1.15mm F & M F & M

Add to

Price of Pen No additional charge $80 $50 $80 $125 No additional charge $80

Loose Nibs* $125 $205 $175 $205 $250 $125 $205

*A large part of the way a pen writes will be governed by the way the nib is set with the feed in the section. There are more dynamics involved in the ultimate writing qualities of a nib than simply tip shape and smoothness. It's all about the slit, not only from end to end, but from top to bottom. It can be tricky and challenging. If we are not doing the set-up, we cannot guarantee the performance of the nib.

Nakaya prefers that we create the Stub, Italic, and Oblique nibs for their pens. If you would like a customized nib, we will make them from the Nakaya stock nib.

The additional charge is $55.00.

We also offer additional customizations to Nakata nibs, including re-tipping to large sizes and increasing flexibility.

Because the Nakaya cartridge has a large opening, and the connection to the feed is also large, this cartridge/converter system is not plagued with the ink delivery problems sometimes found on pens that employ a smaller fitting.

Filling System & Maintenance (10-10)

This is a Cartridge / Converter Fountain Pen, that came with a Gold Hand Painted Cherry Blossom Converter,

Cost & Value (10-10)

I purchased this pen on FPN, yesterday morning, and recieved the pen early this afternoon. MSRP for this pen is approximately $650.00. I paid $450.00 for it, which I consider a GREAT deal.I don't think I will be finding a better deal anytime soon afterwards.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/NakayaDecapodCigar002.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/NakayaDecapodCigar001.jpg

Conclusion (Final Score (60-60)

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/NakayaDecapodCigar007.jpg

My overall feelings on this pen are that I am exceptionally Happy that I purchased it! While I had the BeJesus scared out of me by the seller during a phone call yesterday evening. He made a comment that the pen writes like a Fine point all you have to do though is write a little harder to get the nib to do what you want it to do. My hair about stood straight up. You see I do NOT like Fine points! So I was sweating it out as the pen had already been shipped. Well when it got here, I needed to clean it out, re-load it with some "momiji", and man did it write nice!!!! It was all I could have hoped for and more. Before I had my two Danitrio's as my daily writer's, now I have to make room for a Nakaya!I would absoutly buy this pen again, or any other Nakaya, but the one I have my eye on is; a Decapod Writer (with Clip) Heki - Tamenuri Brown - Green. I have no plans what so ever to be selling this pen in the forseeable future, but I would highly recommend this pen to all you FPN'ers out there.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chi Town

• SamCapote

• Ghost Plane

• Doug C

So that's were that pen went! I was thinking about but apparently a little slow on the draw, and then it disappeared.

Congrats on a great pen, and thanks for the very well done review.

DAVID

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Great review :thumbup:

pens: Aurora * Delta * Esterbrook * Goldfink * Kaweco * Montblanc * OMAS * Parker * Pelikan * Pilot * Sheaffer * Stilnova * Stipula * TWSBI * Visconti * Waterman

inks: Aurora * Delta * Diamine * J.Herbin * Pelikan * Pilot Iroshizuku * MB * Noodler's * Omas * Sailor * Visconti * Waterman

So that's were that pen went! I was thinking about but apparently a little slow on the draw, and then it disappeared.

Congrats on a great pen, and thanks for the very well done review.

DAVID

Thanks David, your words mean a great deal to me!

So this is the Nakaya I want to buy...... mmmmmmmmmmm. Thanks for the nice photos.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

I'm curious where that step down hits your fingers. I hold my pens a farther back than most and I'm not sure how I'd pick that one up without hitting an edge. :hmm1:

REALLY pretty. :thumbup:

Mike,

Maybe yours can play with mine at the next pen club meeting.....

Nice photos.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P9160029.jpg

the Danitrio Fellowship

I'm curious where that step down hits your fingers. I hold my pens a farther back than most and I'm not sure how I'd pick that one up without hitting an edge. :hmm1:

REALLY pretty. :thumbup:

GP, I'm not sure if your grip would fall on the step or not, but I did just compare my Decapod with my 146. The Decapod is just slightly longer. If you need to post your 146s, I fear the Decapod would be too short unposted; this pen does post, but I don't know if you'd want to risk marring the urushi finish. Holding it far back on the barrel feels uncomfortable to me (but please note that I am not used to it, nor do I know exactly where you hold your pens, so it could work for you).

You would be very, very happy with the Long (Blue Dragon! Blue Dragon!) or the Dorsal Fin or even the Desk Pen. I hope you'll add a Nakaya to the arsenal soon. I would bet a dozen dancing bunnies that a Nakaya BB stub or music nib would make you do this: :cloud9: :cloud9: :bunny01: :bunny01:!

Edited by reprieve

Mike,

Maybe yours can play with mine at the next pen club meeting.....

Nice photos.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P9160029.jpg

Yes, we'll have to get them a play pen or something like that.....Oh man, I'm really losing it now!

Thanks, Reprieve. That answers it exactly. :thumbup: I do post my 146s for length. Having looked at nib measurements, I'm pretty sure BB or Music would be my size of choice.

@ Doug - what are the 2 bottom fat, curvy pens? Love both color and shape. :notworthy1:

Thanks, Reprieve. That answers it exactly. :thumbup: I do post my 146s for length. Having looked at nib measurements, I'm pretty sure BB or Music would be my size of choice.

@ Doug - what are the 2 bottom fat, curvy pens? Love both color and shape. :notworthy1:

Both are Dani Trios. The tan fading to black is a Bokashi Nuri (the artist uses a foot powered lathe and blends in the colors with a brush. You can see the brush marks if you get up close).

The second one in purple is a Mae West. The name fits doesn't it?

the Danitrio Fellowship

Henceforth and hereafter Doug C and Mike are prohibited from posting Any, repeat Any photos on FPN for eternity.

Between the 2 of you my AMEX bill is larger than the US National debt, minus 4 zero's. Mike this is the third Japanese pen you've bought in a month. I'm out here in agony seeing what you've got. What with frying the wiring harness on the Speedster, and The Plumber Roto Rooting out the west side sewer system, and the Vet bill for heartworm pills tripling as we have to do a geriatric dog PE to keep our Military Service Dog ticket, my wallet is thinner than

the baby burgers at the DQ. I can't continue to look at all this beauty and not participate. I'm going to have to make a home visit with Miss Vicki soon , my friend. Both of you, please, cut it out. Remember you can only write with one pen at a time, I do. Mike I'm also going to assign you and Doug the job of Pen Reviewing for me. You both do such a great job of it. Bring the Decapod to the next Boys Club Breakfast. Jim

Jim, you kill me with your use of that vernacular. Don't you dare spend any time with my Miss Vicky. She spends no time up in my office which is where I hide all my pens and ink. I tend to believe she has an idea that I have a lot of pens, but she has NO IDEA of how much I spend on them, Thank GOD! I'm working on being able top write Right AND Left handed and the same time. It's the only way I feel that I can get my money's worth back out of my investment of all these pens and inks that I have bought this year. Ohhhhh Doug, where are you??

Thanks for the pics. Only the needle nibs on the used specimins in the classifieds have saved me. :embarrassed_smile:

Fabulous review and photos. I bought the Cigar Long in the same Aka Tamenuri, and it is that magical finish you describe. Yet I find your photos showing the facet angles with the lighter colors giving contrast, a stunning look.

I'm having a twinge of jealousy on that one aspect. :wub:

I don't need another Nakaya. I don't need another Nakaya. :gaah:

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Fabulous review and photos. I bought the Cigar Long in the same Aka Tamenuri, and it is that magical finish you describe. Yet I find your photos showing the facet angles with the lighter colors giving contrast, a stunning look.

You Need another Nakaya, You Need another Nakaya, You Need another Nakaya!

I need my 1st Nakaya, I need my 1st Nakaya, I need my 1st Nakaya !

Hex, aka George

Off to find a Fountain Pen Anonymous meeting. Shakes have set in.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Off to find a Fountain Pen Anonymous meeting. Shakes have set in.

Sam, Can I ride with ya??