Ranga Acrylic

fermopagus

Here is my quick, informal, unscientific review of my Ranga acrylic eye-dropper. A shout-out to Mr. Kandan for making a beautiful pen that writes as nicely as it looks. Also, thank you so much to watch_art for making this custom pen rest with the same exact kind of acrylic material. This is my daily writer, and I typically do a lot of writing for my work. The pen rest is a perfect complement to this pen.

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr360/rich_creamer/DSC_0657.jpg

The pen measures approx. 5.5 inches capped and 4.75 inches uncapped. The pen is long enough to use unposted, but it does post without issue. I am not a poster and the pen feels nice in my hand unposted. I love the way the body tapers inward toward the end of the body. The section step-down is not noticeable during writing.

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr360/rich_creamer/DSC_0666.jpg

The nib says "Wality Special" and "Fine Tipped." It seems to write similarly to my Pilot Prera in M, but I am not one to complain. The nib is no nonsense, minimal flex and puts down a nice wet line. No complaints with the pens functionality. See my ridiculously bad writing sample written on the back of crumpled photocopy paper:

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr360/rich_creamer/DSC_0670.jpg

The acrylic is really beautiful. The opalescent flecks catch natural light and a variety of blues and greens really pop when the pen catches natural light. Use this by a bright window and it's really a nice piece of eye candy.

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr360/rich_creamer/DSC_0660.jpg

Thank you again to Mr. Kandan of Ranga pens and watch_art. This makes a beautiful set on my desk :)

I highly recommend the Mr. Kandan's pens and watch_art's home-made goodies!!

Edited by fermopagus

"Hell Verde Conquered."- Percival Harrison Fawcett

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fermopagus

• watch_art

• floydee1

• ChipHo

I am very happy with how the pieces came together on this one :thumbup:

Congrats on your pen.

I love the look. What is the finish on your pen called?

Nervous? No, I'm just thinking...

We have seen this shape before from Mr. Kandan and it is a classic. In this material it makes the form new again. Lovely pen.

Here is my quick, informal, unscientific review of my Ranga acrylic eye-dropper. A shout-out to Mr. Kandan for making a beautiful pen that writes as nicely as it looks. Also, thank you so much to watch_art for making this custom pen rest with the same exact kind of acrylic material. This is my daily writer, and I typically do a lot of writing for my work. The pen rest is a perfect complement to this pen.

The pen measures approx. 5.5 inches capped and 4.75 inches uncapped. The pen is long enough to use unposted, but it does post without issue. I am not a poster and the pen feels nice in my hand unposted. I love the way the body tapers inward toward the end of the body. The section step-down is not noticeable during writing.

The nib says "Wality Special" and "Fine Tipped." It seems to write similarly to my Pilot Prera in M, but I am not one to complain. The nib is no nonsense, minimal flex and puts down a nice wet line. No complaints with the pens functionality. See my ridiculously bad writing sample written on the back of crumpled photocopy paper:

The acrylic is really beautiful. The opalescent flecks catch natural light and a variety of blues and greens really pop when the pen catches natural light. Use this by a bright window and it's really a nice piece of eye candy.

Thank you again to Mr. Kandan of Ranga pens and watch_art. This makes a beautiful set on my desk :)

That is beautiful. Would you post a link to Mr Kandan's shop of goodies please? :thumbup:

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

thank you all for your nice feedback. this acrylic is Black Cracked Ice and i purchased it through his eBay store. and i agree, the photos on eBay do not do this pen justice. i have been carrying and using this pen every day for about 10 days now and it has performed nearly flawlessly (and no leaks at all). one issue i have run into is putting too much silicone grease on the section threads, which can sometimes find its way inside and clog the hole that exposes the feed to the ink. however, this happened only once and was easily cleaned. again, this was a great purchase and Mr. Kandan is a great person to deal with.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi

Lovely pen, send your Contacts and Price of these pens

Regards

• 7 months later...

First Impressions:

I recently had two eyedropper pens of the Model 7 series made for me
by Ranga Pens in India. The email interaction with Mr. Kandan of
Ranga was straightforward. I chose the blanks to use when making
the pens from pictures and the pens I received matched properly.

Since Ranga published pictures of these pens on EBay as a seller,
I refer to their pictures here:

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140624520101>

From an appearance perspective, these are very pretty pens. Acrylic
blanks can be pretty showy with the lighter colors producing a
translucent barrel. I chose the orange swirl and flake green
blanks.

Construction & Quality:
Appearance and Design:

The Model 7 design is a flat-top with a smooth transition from cap
to barrel when the pen is closed. Fit and finish were superb and
the clip functional. The threads were well cut. No problems here
at all. The pens were made from acrylic blanks and their finish was
glossy and well polished with no machining marks visible on the
exterior.

The pen is solidly made, not flimsy, and as long as it was closed,
dropping it should not be a disaster to the pen.

Weight and Dimensions:

The Model 7 series is roughly 5.7 inches long and 0.6 inches in
diameter.

Being handmade, their lengths and diameters are slightly different,
and as a consequence, the threaded parts {barrel, cap, section} are
not expected to interchange between pens and do not. The cap posts.

I do not have an appropriate small scale to weigh them, but these
pens are not small and when posted and inked have noticeable weight.
I have small hands and these are on the edge of being too large for
me, but for an average male hand I expect they would be fine.

Nibs and Performance:

These pens were ordered with Ranga's standard Wality fine tip nibs.
I presume they are plated stainless steel. They were not glass
smooth, were firm, properly adjusted and acceptable for a daily user
pen. They were not what I would call scratchy. The feed is
traditional ebonite in keeping with the handmade nature of these
pens. Nib and feed are friction fit. Removal and adjustment is
strightforward.

Filling System & Maintenance

These pens are eyedroppers. The barrel screws onto the section
threads positively. A small amount of silicone grease definitely
prevents leakage, so an O-ring does not seem necessary. These pens
hold approximately 3ml of ink. I use a hypodermic to load
eyedroppers and with some set-up care they can be loaded with less
mess than a lever-filler.

Of note is the anti-sloshing feature of these pens. The section is
closed at its rear except for a small hole that has been drilled
into it. The section is longer than that needed for seating the nib
and feed. That leaves a space between the back wall of the section
and the end of the feed of approximately 1/8th inch.

Upon inking the pen for the first time I expected to have to shake
it a bit to work ink through the drilled hole before it would feed.
That was indeed true. It occurred to me that this section design
feature probably made it more difficult for ink to slosh out of the
pen when shaken. That turned out to be true by comparison with
other eyedroppers I have where the back of the feed is in direct
contact with the ink chamber. The ink used here was Noodler's Eel
series.

I have since asked Mr. Kandan if the section design feature was made
to alleviate the sloshing problem commonly associated with
eyedroppers. He stated that this design feature was intended for
that purpose.

Cost and Value:

These pens were handmade and well priced, which is what makes them
attractive. Cost was slightly under $40/each delivered. They came
in a nice box, which protected the pens during shipping.

Conclusion:

I have no complaints so far. Based upon my experience these make
fine and attractive daily user pens if their size does not bother
you. I would not hesitate to order another or use them as gifts to
someone who knows a little bit about fountain pens.

Time from order execution to delivery in California was just over
two weeks.