Diamine Wild Strawberry

mhphoto

I recently wrote about my quest to find a widely available ink to replace the elusive J. Herbin Rouge Hematite. On a whim, I ordered some Diamine Wild Strawberry as it was cheap, readily available, and, most importantly, looked a whole lot like Rouge Hematite from what I'd seen online. And boy am I glad I took a chance with it.

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/DiamineWildStrawberryMedium.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/DiamineWildStrawberryPensCloseup.jpg

Love the top and bottom shading when using a dip pen (I had an accident with the A):

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/DiamineWildStrawberryBrauseCloseup.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/DiamineWildStrawberryObservationsCloseup.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/DiamineWildStrawberryComparisonsCloseup.jpg

The above picture has Diamine Coral, but it turned out much darker in the scan that it is in real life.

Here's the thread I started about the gold in Rouge Hematite, and here's the thread about the similarities of RH and Wild Strawberry, but here's a quick and dirty rundown and comparison:

They're both similar in color. Rouge Hematite has shades a bit more, and has more of a golden sheen (which might be either actual particles within the ink rising to the surface of heavily shaded parts or and iridescent trick of the light; either was I love it). But Wild Strawberry has it too (see thread for pictures).

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mhphoto

• DanielCoffey

• wastelanded

• Tokugawa

Before your review, I've yet to find a red ink I actually desire.

Previously I've simply used Pelikan Brilliant Red. I don't use much red in my daily writing for work. However...

Diamine Wild Strawberry has actually made me sit up and take note in choosing my red ink. This may be the one for me.

Thank you for the review and the scans.

F

Nervous? No, I'm just thinking...

I like this ink very much. It looks good through an XF nib, which I have tried, and in wider nibs here it is RED! Keep the reviews coming.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

This ink certainly fits its name! It's sure getting a lot of press recently.

Before your review, I've yet to find a red ink I actually desire.

Previously I've simply used Pelikan Brilliant Red. I don't use much red in my daily writing for work. However...

Diamine Wild Strawberry has actually made me sit up and take note in choosing my red ink. This may be the one for me.

Thank you for the review and the scans.

F

:thumbup::thumbup: ++1 MH, thank you! It actually is a beautiful ink and I can't wait to order a couple of reds, this one is on top of the list followed closely by Monaco Red! The flex nib is gorgeous!:cloud9:

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. :) I'm having a lot of fun doing these reviews. I can't believe it's taken me this long to do them.

It's too bright for me... But then again I'm looking for a blood red ink to replace Rouge Hematite which would simply stop flowing. Great review though!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Lovely review, thanks. I got a sample of this ink for the name alone, and the ink turns out to be just as delicious as its namesake! When I got it on my fingers the first time, they looked exactly as though I'd been picking in my grandmother's strawberry patch many years ago.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

• 2 weeks later...

just superb :thumbup: :notworthy1:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

The more I see this ink, the more I like it. Mrs. Goulet used it to mark my receipt I received today...it's a nice red.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like this will replace 1670 Rouge Hematite for me - a much more versatile ink than 1670, especially in those applications where smudging is likely to occur such as journalling where 1670 has been noted to smudge days after being used. Perhaps J.Herbin needs to look at adding some sort of fixative agent to reduce or eliminate the smudging.

"Have fountain pen, will travel."

And then again... maybe not - further experimentation is needed. :ninja:

"Have fountain pen, will travel."

I just received this ink! I absolutely love it so far!

Glad to hear it!

I've been doing something interesting lately. Out of a want to both write with J. Herbin Rouge Hematite and a want to conserve every single last drop of Rouge Hematite that I have, I started mixing RH and Wild Strawberry (about 1:1). It gives you the richness of pure RH, along with its signature golden sheen, but is a little lighter due to the WS (though they're very similar to begin with so the change in color isn't all that perceptible).

I have this almost weird love affair with Rouge Hematite that I need to start working through.

It's just an ink… It's just an ink… It's just an ink…

I thought the Goulets got some more Rouge Hematite a while back. Did you miss it?