J. Herbin Amber Orange

Sgushenka

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab324/jabeart/SampleArt/P1010098.jpg

Since this is scanned, the colour of the ink is a bit off from the way the scanner shows it.

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab324/jabeart/SampleArt/Reviewpart1.jpg

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab324/jabeart/SampleArt/reviewpart2-1.jpg

Summary:

It's everything you'd expect in an ink. Works well, and is a well-behaved, bright and rich golden-yellow-brown colour.

Minimal bleeding, no feathering (even on cheap low quality printer paper that's one step up from newsprint).

Good looking bottle, classy design. Looks nice on a desk, but small enough that you could easily accidentally knock it off with an arm.

Also, it has no water resistance at all. A few drops of water will render your writing unreadable, but this same quality makes it good for painting. (More about this later.)

However, it's a bit too bright for extended reading or notetaking, so casual situations only.

It's also very expensive compared to other inks (in Australia). If you're looking for a yellow ink like this, you can probably find one by another brand for much cheaper. In my opinion, the only reason why you'd buy the ink is for the scent, but it fell below expectations for me.

THE SCENT:

No, it's not the unmistakable smell of freshly squeezed orange juice in the morning.

It's got a faint bit of the sharp acidic orange tang, but it mostly has a slightly bitter smell that reminds me of the white stuff under the orange peel. (The pith?)

The smell is strongest when you pop open the bottle and you can smell it if you sniff your feed while writing. The smell is pleasant - to me, at least - and it hangs around after washing out and refilling with another ink. The scent does not last on paper.

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab324/jabeart/SampleArt/drawingsketchcropped.jpghttp://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab324/jabeart/SampleArt/Drawingsketchcropped1.jpg

As an artist:

Looks really great saturated or dilute. You can have it full strength as a golden yellow, or water it down and mix it with a bit of brown to get really good skin-tones.

It has no strange after colours. (One thing that bothered me with Quink Black is that painting diluted made blue instead of grey).

However, if you're an artist, you probably don't have that much dosh floating around to spend on high priced small volume inks like this. You could easily find another yellow with the same qualities, if not the same scent.

MY SCORE

3/5 stars, would not buy again.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sgushenka

• Ghost Plane

• jandrese

• danahn17

Your review is just blast to read! Thanks so much for taking the time.

Meanwhile I won't be picking up that ink anytime soon LOL

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

Love your review! Especially love your art :notworthy1:

A warning and an observation - I find Herbin's scented inks are somewhat prone to staining in demonstrators as opposed to their regular line. In all other pens, they're well behaved.

In very broad nibs, it's much darker and easier to read than F and M. Kind of similar to Apache Sunset in the Noodler's line or it's unscented counterpart in Herbin, Orange Indien. On colored paper, it can give some awesome effects.

Wow, thanks so much for sharing your art with us! You have inspired me to do something fun with the inks I don't like, which will better than just pouring them out.

whoa thats really cool! Thanks for the review!

When you paint, I'm assuming you're using a brush and dipping into the bottle?

[url="http://i-think-ink.tumblr.com/"]thINK[/url]: my pen & paper blog :)

We should have a fountain pen art thread! Wonderful review!

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

whoa thats really cool! Thanks for the review!

When you paint, I'm assuming you're using a brush and dipping into the bottle?

I use a pipette to siphon ink from the bottle onto a palette.

Since I use my brushes for mixing and painting with things other than fountain pen ink, I don't want crud or other colours in the ink. I still need the ink for regular writing.

what a lovely review. thank you!

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...

lovely color and outstanding drawings, nice review :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Thanks! A really great review!! Your art is stupendous. Unrivalled!!

Funny thing is indeed the smell. Although I use it a lot, It doesn't smell at all like oranges to me, but almost exactly the same very pleasant smell I peceive in an expensive, well-cleaned hotel.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)