Edison Pearlette Review

pe2dave

2012-03-25

Edison Pearlette, black ebonite.

Photos, Capped, http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7223/7031739791_cd55e9d33f_b_d.jpg

Uncapped http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7268/7031739793_2772a12cf9_b.jpg

Section http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7054/7031739797_0c79e0999a_b.jpg

Converter http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7046/7031739799_af34e2a84e_b.jpg

Appearance & design: 5/10. YMMV. I like its simplicity. It's a pen. I

like black pens. I can appreciate others saying it looks

ugly. Utilitarian? Perhaps. Matte ebonite finish. Construction. Less

sure. I'm looking at the fine threads on the cap and wondering how

durable ebonite is at those dimensions. Definite con. Tap the body of

the pen and the converter inside rattles against the body? The

dimensions are tight.Too tight? You decide. No idea what the converter

is, I guess I could find a replacement, but I don't know what to ask

for. Another negative design aspect. The nib unit (inseparable I

believe) does not screw right into the section? Looks unfinished. I

asked for 'no clip' so don't ask where it is. It is available if

wanted. I now have need for a pen rest on each desk I use. No

problem. 40mm of 12mm square oak and a 13mm drill.

Construction & Quality: Materials? 8/10. I like them, believe them to

be durable. The nib I think is German. The converter should be

replacable. Feels solid to me (note the rattle mentioned above, not

normally noticed in use). Dropped, would it shatter? Possibly on a

really hard surface, though I doubt it. Take care of your pens and

that is a very rare occasion. I believe the materials used end to end

to be of good quality, I'll rely on Brian for that. Quite a sharp edge

at the nib end of the section. I'll take that off on the lathe.

Weight & dimensions: 8/10. I'm happy. I picked this rather than the

Pearl because of its size. Bought sight unseen I'm OK with the

result. 13mm diameter, 132mm capped, 118 uncapped. 19gms inked. Feels

OK in my hand, though the contrast of the 'waist' in the section to

the main body is quite marked. I think it could have been a mil or two

thicker without loss of function. Will not post. Not an issue with me.

Nib & performance: 9/10. I did smooth it. I'd guess it was done down to 6 or

8 thousand grit, I took it down to 12, but not for long. I prefer a

little bite when the pen meets the paper. Nib looks good (steel not

gold) and has a little spring, unlike the solidity of some German

nibs. Not soft, but workable for me. I chose the fine nib which is

broader than some Japanese fines, suits me.

Easy to write with, though I'm still gripping it too hard to write for

long. I'll get used to it. I was bothered about the 'big' step, body

to section, but realised it didn't bother me and does allow the clean

line of the capped pen which I like.

It varies between dry and a little wet (never floods), but I have

not figured out why? the 'F' nib is getting on for medium in my

eyes. YMMV

Filling system & Maintenance: Commercial screw converter. Good

capacity. 10% used in 4 days of taking notes at work. Fills fully

after a couple of retries. Seems a fair size. Reliability check to

come in a year or two, though I'd be happier knowing I can get a

replacement/spare without the US-UK transport costs.

Cost & Value : 225 US dollars + 10 dollars shipping. 158 UK pounds, 30

pounds import duty. Value? You judge. I've expensive (to me) pens I

think are (bleep). Cheap ones I really like. Still experimenting with

this as a daily go-to pen.

Caution. Ordered 28 Jan, it arrived mid March, two weeks in Customs.

Not good if you're in a hurry.

Conclusion: Too early to tell? So far so good. If I revert to the Ahab

I'll let you know. Three weeks use and it's still my goto.

Edited by pe2dave

----------------------------

Cambs, UK

http://www.dpawson.co.uk

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pe2dave

• dds51968

• jde

• Uncle Red

The nib unit (inseparable I

believe) does not screw right into the section?

Edison nibs screw out of the section (nib and feed are in one unit) and can be taken apart....they are friction fit together.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Thanks for the well reasoned review.

I would be curious to see how the pen breaks in( gets used to your hand).

Thanks for the review.

The grading system we all use is of course quite subjective, and intended to convey each person's own impression, fair enough. But I have to say, I thought the 5/10 for Appearance and Design, especially given the reasoning behind it, was a bit harsh.

As far as appearance goes, you say you bought it sight unseen, so you can't really expect to get a pen that happens to appeal specifically to you - most people buy pens that attract them, which is why there are so many different styles.

As for design, the screw-in nib unit has a flange that fits flush with the section, as it should, not sure I see the problem. The converter is a standard Schmidt converter, which is as good a converter as you'll get - not sure why you would want to seek a replacement. The rattle - any converter will rattle against the side of any narrower diameter pen - again, can't see how this would be seen as a design flaw.

Anyhow, I don't mean to be belligerent, I just thought I'd add my own opinion/thoughts on this pen.

Regards,

Ken

The grading system, to me, is way too generous, but I agree that if we compare this review to past reviews, the appearance grade seems harsh.

We are all pen lovers, so anything less than a 10 implies some sort of dissatisfaction. But perhaps a bigger is that our "precision" of grading. Are we really able to discriminate 10 levels of quality here? My precision is more like a scale of 1-3 (1= dissatisfied, 2 = satisfied, and 3 = smitten, or 1 = overpriced, 2 = worth it, and 3 = worth every cent).

By the way, the OP's photo appears to be a plastic case for a rectal thermometer rather than a Pearlette. My Pearlette is waaaay prettier.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

1333235274[/url]' post='2299020']

The grading system, to me, is way too generous, but I agree that if we compare this review to past reviews, the appearance grade seems harsh.

We are all pen lovers, so anything less than a 10 implies some sort of dissatisfaction. But perhaps a bigger is that our "precision" of grading. Are we really able to discriminate 10 levels of quality here? My precision is more like a scale of 1-3 (1= dissatisfied, 2 = satisfied, and 3 = smitten, or 1 = overpriced, 2 = worth it, and 3 = worth every cent).

By the way, the OP's photo appears to be a plastic case for a rectal thermometer rather than a Pearlette. My Pearlette is waaaay prettier.

OUCH !!

My Pearlette is an extremely well done pen, the quality of the build is without flaws. The steel nib is as nice to write with as any other I own, my only gripe would be its an extremely light pen.

I realize our likes or dislikes are all very subjective, but I think the OP's grading is a bit harsh, and as Jeffrey Smith stated, my Pearlette looks nothing like that. I have to believe the OP had a hand in the finished products appearance.

David

Edited by dds51968

1333235274[/url]' post='2299020']

OUCH !!

My Pearlette is an extremely well done pen, the quality of the build is without flaws. The steel nib is as nice to write with as any other I own, my only gripe would be its an extremely light pen.

I realize our likes or dislikes are all very subjective, but I think the OP's grading is a bit harsh, and as Jeffrey Smith stated, my Pearlette looks nothing like that. I have to believe the OP had a hand in the finished products appearance.

David

Looks like it's matte finish. Nothing wrong with that. It's a well made pen, but the shape does nothing for me. I really think that these things should revolve around objective qualities, rather subjective qualities.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

Thanks for the review.

As for design, the screw-in nib unit has a flange that fits flush with the section, as it should, not sure I see the problem.

No Ken, it's not flush. Guessing then start of the nib is approx 1 to 1.5mm proud. I queried it and was told it was normal.See the third photograph?

Tks for the converter info, I'll try and get a spare.

DaveP

Edited by pe2dave

Cambs, UK

OUCH !!

David

As you say David, it is a subjective view. My 5/10 is marked as YMMV, i.e. subjective. I asked for the design as is; squared off, no clip, so yes, very much I had a hand it its appearance and am satisfied with it.

Dave

Cambs, UK

2012-03-25

Edison Pearlette, black ebonite.

Thanks for sharing the experience with your custom pen.

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

The fine threads cut into the ebonite on my Boston Safety Eyedropper that was made before 1917 (when the company was sold and the name was no longer used) have held up just fine.

The fine threads cut into the ebonite on my Boston Safety Eyedropper that was made before 1917 (when the company was sold and the name was no longer used) have held up just fine.

So I might expect them to last a year or two <grin/>

Thanks for that. I knew the material was 'as old has the hills', but the thread is

fine, so it's reassuring to know a little care should make them last.

Dave

Cambs, UK

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the well reasoned review.

I would be curious to see how the pen breaks in( gets used to your hand).

Long term? Now May 2012. I've written just short of 100 pages A4 plus many pages of notes with it.

Still happy with it as a pen.

The Ebonite is beginning to take on a sheen which I quite like (or it's getting greasy?).

Writes a tad smoother, or it's my imagination.

I've done no more with the nib. Clearly happy with it.

Wet/dry. Do pens suffer from temperature/humidity?

The pen writes dry/wet seemingly at random? This morning was a 'wet' one (the line that is...).

Very occasionally it won't start, usually when I have it stored nib up. Not unreasonable.

Only real niggle (personal I guess), the indent at the grip. Too deep for me by a gnats whisker, or more specifically

the nib end of the grip is too sharp? Real nit picking though. I'm happy with it.

Dave

Cambs, UK

The nib unit (inseparable I

believe) does not screw right into the section? Looks unfinished. I

That made me smile when I read that. I have that issue w/the nib unit, too.

That it sticks out a wee bit from the section, that is.

Who says "picky" is bad anyhow?

Wet/dry. Do pens suffer from temperature/humidity?

The pen writes dry/wet seemingly at random? This morning was a 'wet' one (the line that is...).

Very occasionally it won't start, usually when I have it stored nib up. Not unreasonable.

Hard to know exactly since you wrote that you smoothed the nib after you got the pen.

Did you have startup or flow issues before?

Temperature and humidity can wreck havoc at times on our pens. Mostly in creating ink

blots. A pen that writes randomly wet or dry sounds more like, well, a flow issue. Could be your

ink or the feed or if it's really hot and humid...

You're far more forgiving than I about a pen with startup problems. To me

there's nothing worse. Except intermittent starts/stops. happyberet.gif

Very cool pen you have there. Glad you are enjoy it!

Edited by jde

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

• 1 month later...

Final words.

Had the pen for a while now. Probably written 20-30 thousand words with it. I still have flow issues, even after cleaning it thoroughly with soap/water twice. I noticed the nib tips were v.close under 10x magnification, so eased them slightly, which improved it.

On occasion it will not start without a hard shaking. IMHO a design weakness.

The matt finish has now eased to a dull gloss which I like.

The nib has settled and is as smooth as I want it.

All in all I'm satisfied.

I would like a first time starter though. If Pelikan can do it, why can't Brian?

Dave

Cambs, UK