The Eagle Has Landed - Wax Seal Arrived !

SamCapote

It was a long wait since I placed my order in early November, but I received the final result this week from Dexters, after following kiavonne's recommendation in many threads such as the long running "Show us your seals here." I was always blown away by Edgar Allan Bo's sailing ship seal in red wax also at that link. Having a personal connection here locally to the U.S. Coast Guard's Eagle, I asked Dexter if they could make a seal from this photo, for my own personal use.

Kimy, you'll have to add this to your Wax Seal Redux thread. :wub:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Eagle-Originals.jpg

I worked with Kate & Simon at Dexter's, who are absolutely wonderful and responsive people. Had one proof that I made some changes on (with kiavonne's help), and the second proof looked perfect. I intentionally lowered my expectations because I know there is a limit of how much detail can be deep carved onto a small metal seal, vs. a photograph.

When I opened the two boxes, and first looked at the seal, I was stunned at the quality, but was not quite sure how to "read" the details in the 3 dimensional reverse relief metal. Then I opened the second box and saw the actual seal in wax that Dexter made from this actual stamp. I could not believe my eyes. I still cannot believe what I have in front of me after two days. This is like magic, and so beautiful in person that it brings tears to my eyes at the accomplishment it represents. They used a white wax, and coated the seal with smoke-soot from a paraffin lamp to give the contrast you see.

I took an overview photo, and then used my cell phone macro lens to show the close up detail that goes even beyond what you can see with normal vision. (These are clickable thumbnails)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Eagle-Seals.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Eagle-Seal1s.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Eagle-Seal2s.jpg

I will do some other impressions of my own in various wax colors, but to be able to clearly read the letters on the side of the ship just blows my mind. I did not think about it with the proof, but assuming the wind is behind the ship, filling her sails, Dexter even made sure the waves were breaking over in the right direction if the wind had been coming from the right/behind the ship!

If Kimy had not posted about the quality of Dexter's work, I would have never known about, or used them. I still did not expect that they could do anywhere near this level of detail and quality. It's just unbelievable seeing it in person.

Also, curious about the smoke technique, I just took a pinch of cotton from an ordinary cotton ball, put about 3-4 drops of 3-in-1 household oil on it, and lit it while on a stone outside. That little bit of cotton and oil gave off plenty of nice, dark smoke on this Ebay stamp, which I just waved back and forth over the smoke trails until it was all well covered. Then I set it aside, got the wax ready, and pressed it into some ivory colored wax. It's a great accent effect, and easily, completely washes off stamp with dish soap and water.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/smokes.jpg

Edited by SamCapote

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SamCapote

• yachtsilverswan

• kiavonne

• raging.dragon

Just gorgeous. That is a treasure. And your smoke advice was really good. Wish I had known that a couple of months ago.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Wow!!! :notworthy1:

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

Congratulations Sam - well worth waiting for.

Incredible 3-D bas relief detail - look at how they sculpted the forward billowing of the sails. That big desk seal gives the artisan room to really bring out the fine detail of Eagle.

Outstanding. Again, congrats.

What wax are you using? I've found Atelier Gargoyle's in-house brand the easiest to work with, but J. Herbin's brand (also from Atelier Gargoyle) give the crispest impressions.

Post some of your wax seals when you have time.

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

That's really nice, SamC. Congratulations! I'm very impressed with the level of detail.

Edited by geoduc

epic. end of.

do i even dare ask how much this is or is it if you gota ask you cant afford?

http://pierce.tv/uploads/fpnsig_pic.jpg

So beautiful, I love this on all counts: being a wax seal, being a ship, reflecting an important part of your life and as an example of stunning craftsmanship - worth every penny and thank you for sharing it with us.

Calligraphy,” said Plato, “is the physical manifestation of an architecture of the soul.” That being so, mine must be a turf-and-wattle kind of soul, since my handwriting would be disowned by a backward cat’

Dr Stephen Maturin: The Commodore by Patrick O’Brian

Thanks for the kind comments. Here's closeups of the seal in A-G, and J.Herbin waxes. Both give great impressions.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Eagle-AGs.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Eagle-JHerbins.jpg

This next seal in blue, after pressing on a gold stamp pad shows the contrast to the initial white wax, using smoke--which brings out the details so much better.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Eagle-AGBlues.jpg

That is a beautiful Seal...........Congratulations!!! Now I join with many others lusting after something from Dexter's!!! Please relate your link with the "Eagle".

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

That is a beautiful Seal...........Congratulations!!! Now I join with many others lusting after something from Dexter's!!! Please relate your link with the "Eagle".

It is a confidential function/relationship that started when I was stationed across the Thames River at the U.S. Submarine Base. Then there's just the pure admiration of Eagle, what she represents as a beautiful old sailing ship, vanguard of the U.S. waterways, knowing many of the staff, etc.

Great piece of engraving. The post makes me realize that wax seals can carry a deal more information than my preferred blind paper-impress stamps.

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

That is jaw dropping beautiful and far beyond what I had thought was possible.

Amazing, amazing, amazing, I can't get over it. :notworthy1:

And here I was thinking of a simple set of initials. :headsmack:

Hex, aka George