Parker Urban Premium

Nic13

OK so this is my first pen review and I decided to do this instead of math homework :roflmho: I was doing some with it and got bored so...here we go!!!

I just received my Parker urban premium matte black about a week ago now. The one with the straight lines, kinda reminds me of computers and or tron :thumbup: Initially I couldn't decide between the brown or black but matte black won.

Overall it is a nice pen but it only came in medium nib, I would prefer a fine. the nib is steel and really stiff but does offer a fair bit of flex to it with some pressure but its nothing noticeable.

I have been using it for about a week now and I am happy with it. It is heavy, but I like some weight in a pen :thumbup: I do not have any problems with leaks as I have ready about form some reviews. I find myself wanting to use it but I still carry my sailor regulus fine with me as it is still my favorite. I always post my pens as holding the cap means that I will drop it. personally I do not notice much difference form posting and writing vs. not posted and writing.

It writes smooth, took me a bit to get used to from using my sailor fine everyday, as there was some scratch and feed back I guess its called? I really dont get any noise form the Parker and it does seem a bit dry but not horrible. eventually I will get it to write a bit more wet.

I do very rarely have a skip problem but only on the first part of a letter if it has been sitting open for a bit, otherwise no problem, starts right up and continues to write no problems!

The nib and feed can be pulled out for thorough cleaning, you just need to have a good grip on the small nib and feed. I suppose you could use the small slit behind the feed to insert your thumb nail but just seems like a bad idea to me.

Overall it is a nice pen and is unique in its design, something I really liked, I have had people ask me about it and always ends up with them wanting to use it, being that it is a solid nib and pen I have let them try it out under fountain pen user supervision :roflmho: and a few people have decided they are going to get a fountain pen...(achievement unlocked :bunny01: )

P.S. my sailor will never be used by anyone but me

I hope you enjoyed and the pictures fallow! ^_^

post-82157-0-15828800-1333053151.jpg

post-82157-0-92164300-1333053180.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nic13

• PolarMoonman

• Zombify

• legendkiller

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi nic13, Thanks for your review and photo's. I have only seen the Urban in the shops, in the packet, but in your photo's it does look really stylish. Plus it looks, going by the nib size, as if it is a lot thicker than the Vector, so that's a 'plus point' to me, as I prefer thicker pens. The lines on the barrel are very 'Tron', as you say, they can't be seen in the package.

I know I will be getting the I.M. soon which is similar, so am pleased to see this review.

I have found that all my new fountain pens write better, if flushed through with dish washing up liquid and water solution, as it takes away the factory 'newness', from inside the pen. Then the ink seems to flow much better.

All the Urbans I have seen have been silver or pink, so I will look out for this black one in the shops I use.

I hope yours writes as well as my old '92 Vector (same medium nib), I use it almost every day it's so smooth.

I was curious as to the difference between a "Premium" and the standard Urban. I have seen a number of the Premiums for sale on websites, but the basic model pretty much only as a "kit" (pen, cartridges, converter and bottle of Quink Black), which is what I bought.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I looked around before I purchased it but I could not find any reviews about it. also why it is my first review, I wanted to get something up on it in case any one wanted to know more. Im glad to see that it can help others.

As far as the difference of the urban and urban premium, from what I can see and tell form the web site and online viewing, the urban comes in a few assorted colors and I am Not sure of the material, metal or plastic. The urban premium comes with 2 different designs. chiseled, the cross check design, most common from what I found and the straight line design (pictured above) which took a little more work to find online. I can say for sure the premium pens are made out of some thicker metal. the premium also comes in a matte (above) or metallic finish.

I am using it for some time now and this a very good pen.......good for everyday use.....

I would have to agree with you, I have been using it and my sailor threw out the last week now and I really enjoy both. The medium nib is starting to grow on me. I guess I just need to learn to write bigger with it :roflmho:

I too have an Urban. Mine is a fine point and I had also bought an additional medium point but haven't tried yet. The fine works really well for me. My Urban is the bright Magenta color and I really love the colour and feel of this pen. In fact, I've ordered a couple more of the Urbans and have the ordered the black one to give as a gift. I'm glad that it has a techy feel as I was thinking of giving it to my husband. So thanks for the review and the photos.thumbup.gif

The act of putting pen to paper encourages pause for thought, this in turn makes us think more deeply about life, which helps us regain our equilibrium. Norbet Platt
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I really like my Urban -- I purchased the kit with the 4 cartridges, converter, and bottle of Quink black. Mine is the matte black with gold bands, end caps, and clip. I like the converter and Quink more than the washable blue that came in the cartridge that I've tried.

I really like the weight and balance of the pen. The medium nib writes very smoothly and the ink flows well. I primarily use Office Max legal pads at the office, and there's no feathering or bleed through from either the washable cartridge ink or the bottled Quink. All in all, a nice pen and accessories for a nice price.

Cheers

Edited by camjr

This package set was my first fountain pen and I thought it was good but I had nothing to compare it to. I traded it away and am SOO glad I have found other pens. I just did not think it was a very smooth writer but a good set to start with if it can be found at a cheap price. ENJOY!

• 9 months later...

I love the Parker Urban Premium, and I agree that it has a wonderfully smooth nib.

I do wish they had the matte black version when I bought mine 'cause the pearl version had way to many lines on it for my liking. :headsmack:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2l46kh.jpg

i have the matte black :bunny01: ...

i do not like the "curvy" barrel design, but i agree it's a good writer! :thumbup:

Does the Urban Premium have a better nib than the regular Urban? (I am wondering this about the IM versus the IM Premium too)

/http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/858372_558495127508117_649985064_o.jpg

Nope, the nibs are the same, the only differences between them are barrel design, gunmetal, chiseled etc....

• 4 weeks later...

My very first fountain pen was the Parker Urban. Very nice pen and it's lead me to purchase other fountain pens that are much more expensive.

• 4 months later...

I rarely see the Parker Urban mentioned when pen recommendations in the $50 range are requested. I think the Urban is sadly underrated. I own the matte black "Stealth" model. One of the smoothest writers I have. Writes wonderfully with every ink I've run through it.

I'm drawn to pens with a more modern design and the Urban meets that. Nice heft, perfect balance when posted.

I thought for sure that the finish wouldn't hold up to use, but that hasn't been the case. Overall, one of the better purchases I've made. Highly recommend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a Parker Urban glossy black. I think it's also great for everyday use. It took a while to open up and run properly. But now it's a great pen, which I keep at work with me.

My Urban Premium Black Ebony fell out of my pocket while running for a bus the other day :(

However, decided to replace it with this matte black one and it's very nice! Prefer it even more to the old one.

Parker 75, Ingenuity, Premier, Sonnet, Urban | Pelikan M400 | TWSBI Diamond 580 | Visconti Rembrandt

Currently inked: Diamine Apple Glory (Rembrandt), Pelikan 4001 Turquoise (M400), Lamy Black (Diamond 580)

• 2 weeks later...

i have the matte black :bunny01: ...

i do not like the "curvy" barrel design, but i agree it's a good writer! :thumbup:

Same here. I bought it as an everyday pen, but now I realize I'm not too fond of the curvy design anymore. I'm a guy, and I find the design to be very feminine. Do people consider this to be a feminine pen?