Comparison - Caran D' Ache Storm : Herbin Poussière De Lune : Diamine Damson

Sandy1

Hi,

This post is part of my initiative to support comparison and selection of inks that appear very similar - especially from diverse online sources of swabs and other depictions.

I have previously posted Reviews of these inks next door in the Ink Review Forum; and those Reviews are designed and executed in a manner to support comparison through manipulation of browser windows. However, every so often it seems [to me at least] a separate Post is in order.

This Comparison includes far fewer samples than those Reviews, but hopefully enough to enhance the comparison process. The Reviews also cover-off much the same points, so can be read across without need for repetition here.

Also, as this is only the second such three-way comparison I have prepared, please feel free to offer constructive criticism as to the content, format, layout, etc.

I shall leave it to other Members to set the course of our usual convivial discussions.

So let's crack on . . .

Bye,

S1

For convenient viewing of the images in all their inky goodness, you may wish to scroll to the menu at the very bottom of this window, then ensure the Theme is http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/ecb8726d-1.jpg.

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict this Gray Scale.

As the patches are neutral grey, that is what should be seen.

Mac

Wintel PC

Gray Scale.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/b4a04182.jpg

- 3S -

Written Samples - Moby Dick

Ruling: 8mm.

Note: Figure 1 & 2

• So that each ink can be compared adjacent to the others, the layout is in two rows - twice the thrills, yes?
  • The originals are 103x84mm.

Figure 1.

Waterman on HPJ1124.

Layout:

Top Row
: Caran d'Ache Storm, Herbin Poussière de Lune, Diamine Damson.

Bottom Row
: Herbin Poussière de Lune, Diamine Damson, Caran d'Ache Storm.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Comparison%20-%20CdAStorm_HPdL_DDam/e4f58f16.jpg

Figure 2.

Pilot on Rhodia.

Layout:

Top Row
: Caran d'Ache Storm, Herbin Poussière de Lune, Diamine Damson.

Bottom Row
: Herbin Poussière de Lune, Diamine Damson, Caran d'Ache Storm.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Comparison%20-%20CdAStorm_HPdL_DDam/e26c7ece.jpg

Figure 3.

Paper: HPJ1124.

Pens
, Top to Bottom: 600, Waterman, C74.

Inks
, Left to Right: Diamine Damson, Caran d'Ache Storm, Herbin Poussière de Lune.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Comparison%20-%20CdAStorm_HPdL_DDam/706652cf.jpg

Figure 4.

Paper: Rhodia.

Inks
, Left to Right: Diamine Damson, Caran d'Ache Storm, Herbin Poussière de Lune.

Pens
, Top to Bottom: 600, Waterman, C74.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Comparison%20-%20CdAStorm_HPdL_DDam/8e304e6f.jpg

Smear/Dry Times & Wet Tests

Figure 5.

Pen
: Waterman

Inks
, Left to Right: Caran d'Ache Storm, Herbin Poussière de Lune, Diamine Damson.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Comparison%20-%20CdAStorm_HPdL_DDam/c233013d.jpg

======

NUTS & BOLTS

Pens:

• rotring 600 + F steel nib.
  • Waterman + M steel nib.
  • Pilot Custom 74 + № 5 three-tine 14K MS nib.

Papers:

• HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.
  • Rhodia.
  • Staples 20lb. - S/DT only.

Images

• Composites: Figure 1, 2 & 5.
    • Using Adobe Photoshop Elements 6, output @ 200 dpi from an Epson V600 scanner was captured in .psd format.
    • The scans were assembled into composites, then converted to 'web-optimised' .jpg format, then uploaded to Photo Bouquet.

[*]Straight Scans: Figure 3 & 4.

• Using Epson scanner software at factory default settings, output @ 200 dpi from an Epson V600 scanner was captured in .jpg format.

[*]Images were not adjusted post-capture, other than dumb-down by APE6, Epson, Photo Bouquet and IP.Board s/w.

______

Fine Print

The accuracy and relevance of this Comparison depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of matériel used.

Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.

As always, YMMV, not only from materials, methods, environment, etc., but also due to differences between the stuff I used, and that you may have.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

Tags: FPN Fountain Pen Ink Review Comparison Caran d'Ache Storm, Herbin Poussière de Lune, Diamine Damson 3S Dark Purple Sandy1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Ignatian

• PaperDarts

• wastelanded

LINKS

Links to related Ink Reviews:

Links to recent Topics in the Inky Thoughts Forum:

Edited by Sandy1

Thanks Sandy1!

I never fail to enjoy your reviews and learn something from most of them. However, I often have nothing to add to the discussion that I consider insightful.

I am not a fan of purple inks - with the possible exception of Iroshizuku Yama budo. However, seeing these 3 together tells me I respond to the less bright purples more. In this case, I would use PdL for personal correspondence or journaling and might even consider Damson for business as it is very conservative (an alternative for blue-black?)

Thanks again. You are quite the asset for FPN! :notworthy1:

Edited by Horseknitter

Yes, thank you!

Coincidentally, I just received samples of the Storm and the Damson and I am impressed with how accurately you depict the colours....at least on my screen.

I love the PdL as shown in your scan. However, the latest bottle I have is an altogether different colour! I have been upset at the prospect that Herbin have perhaps reformulated it. It's sufficiently different that they should probably rename it - unless it a manufacturing glitch.

My second choice would be the Storm, even though I think R&K Scabiosa is closer to PdL, more so even than the Damson, which is a bit darker and greyer. It's also possible that I'm just seeing things.

Jim

Excellent work as always. I was gifted a sample of PdL over the weekend. It is much darker than I anticipated (formula change?). But it has tamed the wild gushing Ahab into usability, with dry times under ten seconds. I look forward to giving it a spin through a Kaweco BB nib when it arrives.

Damson has become my number one ink. In almost all my pens it is pretty much black, just a hint of plum to make it less ho-hum. Eminently usable at work, at least no one has said anything yet.

Next I must try the Storm. Thanks for this comparison, I do like prey-pul inks.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

The formula change (if that's what it is) did not just make it darker. It made it redder.... More like BSIAR. Strange.

Thanks Sandy1!

I never fail to enjoy your reviews and learn something from most of them. However, I often have nothing to add to the discussion that I consider insightful.

I am not a fan of purple inks - with the possible exception of Iroshizuku Yama budo. However, seeing these 3 together tells me I respond to the less bright purples more. In this case, I would use PdL for personal correspondence or journaling and might even consider Damson for business as it is very conservative (an alternative for blue-black?)

Thanks again. You are quite the asset for FPN! :notworthy1:

Hi,

You're welcome! and thanks for the compliments!

I was rather slow to come to the Purple inks, but now use them with some regularity.

I agree that Damson has appearance that lends itself to business use, and not just as an alt/aux ink.

It seems to me that as a group, the Purple inks' role can vary considerably according to density and less so by nuance of colour. Those characteristics make the process of achieving the desired ink+paper+pen combo more important than Blue inks for example. So if one has a wet writer and absorbent paper, then their choice may be one of the pale Purple inks - only if its performance profile can handle that pen+paper combo.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Yes, thank you!

Coincidentally, I just received samples of the Storm and the Damson and I am impressed with how accurately you depict the colours....at least on my screen.

I love the PdL as shown in your scan. However, the latest bottle I have is an altogether different colour! I have been upset at the prospect that Herbin have perhaps reformulated it. It's sufficiently different that they should probably rename it - unless it a manufacturing glitch.

My second choice would be the Storm, even though I think R&K Scabiosa is closer to PdL, more so even than the Damson, which is a bit darker and greyer. It's also possible that I'm just seeing things.

Jim

Hi Jim,

You're welcome!

I was aware that some Herbin inks are being reformulated, and that the manufacturing process may also be changed as a result.

Kindly consider posting a sample of your PdL in the Inky Thoughts Forum to raise the issue - perhaps other Members have the same experience. As PdL is one of the inks that Herbin markets in the 100ml size, it would seem to be one of their 'core' FP inks, so would be taking a bit of extra care with QA/QC.

As for R&K Scabiosa, others have mentioned similarity to PdL, but I can't see it. (?) To do an ad hoc comparison, you may wish to avail yourself of the Comparison Exemplars at Post № 28 https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/161028-rohrer-klingner-scabiosa/page__view__findpost__p__2130756

Bye,

S1

Excellent work as always. I was gifted a sample of PdL over the weekend. It is much darker than I anticipated (formula change?). But it has tamed the wild gushing Ahab into usability, with dry times under ten seconds. I look forward to giving it a spin through a Kaweco BB nib when it arrives.

Damson has become my number one ink. In almost all my pens it is pretty much black, just a hint of plum to make it less ho-hum. Eminently usable at work, at least no one has said anything yet.

Next I must try the Storm. Thanks for this comparison, I do like prey-pul inks.

Hi,

You're welcome! and thanks for the compliment!

Another +1 for the current PdL being at variance to expectations! Ouch!! Well, I suppose as it has tamed the Ahab it has a place in your array. Also, as you're using Damson at work, then the current darker PdL might also be used there - even if it is not "pretty much black". (?)

Bye,

S1

The formula change (if that's what it is) did not just make it darker. It made it redder.... More like BSIAR. Strange.

Hi,

Well well.

I thought that a bit of dilution might've been OK with the current PdL, but if the colour has changed, then that's another thing, which is not a good thing.

Bye,

S1

I was rooting for PdL, in it's cheaper....I became a Cubs fan recently; well as soon as I get to the States and fine a baseball cap that fits only me.

Storm was more what I want.

Just getting use to rooting for the underdog.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Hi,

as you're using Damson at work, then the current darker PdL might also be used there - even if it is not "pretty much black". (?)

Bye,

S1

I shall cast caution to the wind, and unleash a Poussière de Lune on the office. If I'm not heard from again, then it was not a success. B)

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Sandy, you are positively psychic about the ink comparisons I want to see in your impeccable reviews. I have all three of those inks and your review makes me want to run upstairs and write something with them all at the same time! Thank you.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

I was rooting for PdL, in it's cheaper....I became a Cubs fan recently; well as soon as I get to the States and fine a baseball cap that fits only me.

Storm was more what I want.

Just getting use to rooting for the underdog.

Hi,

PdL could still come through once the current changes in formulation and perhaps manufacturing process are finalised. Perhaps its like The Cubs having a few bad innings due to self-inflicted errors.

Bye,

S1

Sandy, you are positively psychic about the ink comparisons I want to see in your impeccable reviews. I have all three of those inks and your review makes me want to run upstairs and write something with them all at the same time! Thank you.

Hi,

Psychic? Well, that would be quite something!!

I look forward to hearing of your experience with these inks!

Bye,

S1

As you suggested, Sandy, I would love to post a comparison between old PdL and new PdL. Unfortunately, I have run out of the original colour. I have sent an email to Exaclair asking for some information, but I have not yet received a response. If I hear anything I will give a shout.

As you suggested, Sandy, I would love to post a comparison between old PdL and new PdL. Unfortunately, I have run out of the original colour. I have sent an email to Exaclair asking for some information, but I have not yet received a response. If I hear anything I will give a shout.

When was the change in colour for the PdL?? My apologies if this was discussed elsewhere and I missed it. I'm just wondering which I have (bought a bottle in the last year).

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf