Stipula Etruria De Architectura Gaudì Milà Limited Edition Fountain Pen

kamebard

Stipula Etruria De Architectura Gaudì Milà Limited Edition Fountain Pen

INTRODUCTION: I’ve always been interested in the more flexible nibs when writing with fountain pens, and on a whim, I decided to try a Stipula T-Flex pen. The decision came down between this and the Model-T. Since I already have some nice carry pens, I felt that the look and feel of this pen would add a touch of refinement to my collection (over the standard black/gold/silver and transparent). The thing that struck me the most about this pen (as opposed to the Model T) is that it has a darker design and gives the impression of an old or antique. Everything about the pen and packaging speaks about muted refinement - the soft cover material on the inside, the gold leaf trim on the outside, and the hidden pull out compartment. It has the air of something special without being over the top or gaudy. The pen came with the red leather box with soft interior, the warranty card and instruction booklet, a Stipula ink cartridge and converter.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7046/6839125166_402bec6abc.jpg

Stipula Eturia de arch by kenpodragon, on Flickr

1. Appearance & Design (7) – I’m drawn and attracted to metal pens (mainly silver), so the glossy resin material of the pen itself was not as appealing. However, the faded matt gold trim coupled with the architectural design elements from Gaudi in Barcelona give this pen a much muted air of refinement. It feels like you are holding a piece of the buildings in your hand. The only detracting point of the pen is the serial number stamp on the side (5/247). The location, poor engraving, and feel of the stamp reduce what would be an otherwise very antique feeling pen.

2. Construction & Quality (6) – As stated before, I am used to carrying around a metal pen, and as such, the resin model does make the pen feel pretty light (as opposed to what I am used to). Holding it in your hand it does feel slightly cheap as the resin body doesn’t provide much heft. In addition, the pucket clip is far from useful as the material and finish create a scratchy performance when inserting it. However, the screw top cap and body seem very solid.

3. Weight & Dimensions (4) – For me, this pen was too light, however as I have somewhat large hands , writing without having this pen posted is a bit of a struggle. With the cap posted, it just feels right.

Nib & Performance (10) – The pen comes with the standard Stipula T-Flex 0.6mm Titanium nib. This is an awesome nib. It allows for a lot of line variation from around hairline to about broad, and just gives the right amount of resistance when writing. It does have a bit of a bite when writing, but combined with the antique look and feel with of the pen just feels right. It has a moderate flow, and works best with thicker inks (Aurora). There is a bit of a flow issue with some of the thinner inks and railroading when writing fast, but other than that it works very well. No issues with splattering, dripping, or leaking.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7038/6839195624_ae788776a2.jpg

Stipula Writing Sample by kenpodragon, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7061/6839129878_c0707de017.jpg

Stipula nib by kenpodragon, on Flickr

4. Filling System & Maintenance (8) – The pen uses a standard piston converter (standard Parker cartridges). The only downside with the filling is that because of the coloring of the nib, it’s a bit difficult to tell when the nib has been completely cleaned after filling resulting in several blackened fingers. Because it uses standard cartridges and converters, cleaning and/or replacement are easy, and flushing out the nib with a squeegee bulb works well. The cartridge is a bit stiff to push in and pull out (a bit more force than I was used to), and the screwing between the nib and the body are a bit tight. Making the nib removal a bit of a hassle when trying to clean (with wet hands).

5. Cost & Value (6) – MSRP for this pen is $350, but was able to get this at a discount through the Fountain Pen Hospital. Looking across the various sites, FPH had a similar price point, and even taking into account eBay risk, it was a good overall deal. The flex nib is definitely worth the money, however the markup for the design is a bit much. If the material was a bit more solid and the pen had a bit more weight, I would definitely see this as a good deal. As it stands I feel that the pen is a bit overpriced for the performance, but would overall buy the pen again if I had the chance.

6. Conclusion (Final score, 41/60 {68%}) – It’s a beautiful design and I am in love with the Nib. If it weren’t such a light pen with a difficult clip, I would be using the pen every day. As it stands, it is my standard office pen, while I still am using my Cross Townsend pen as my go to carry pen. It is definitely a stunning looking pen with a wonderful feel of antiquity and refinement. If given the chance I would definitely buy the pen again, although I might hold off until I found a bit of a better deal. Although the nib itself is worth its weight in resin, I think I might have been better off going with the Model-T. For the looks I would definitely give this a recommendation. For the aesthetics/price just to get a T-Flex, I would most likely pass.

Edited by kamebard

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• humsin

• jandrese

• raging.dragon

• kamebard

very nice pen :thumbup: congrats. You can never go wrong with a stipula

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Thanks for this review. Somehow I have resisted this pen. I love my Stipulas and my titanium nibs. In addition, I love Barcelona, and this pen makes me think of that wonderful city. To buy or not to buy, that is the question.

Sorry for sounding stupid but what is this Model T you would have preferred?

http://www.giardino.it/pens/stipula/modellot.php

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/124205-stipula-model-t/

It's another of the Stipulas which have a t-flex nib for about half the cost. They are more traditional looking and a bit more hefty than the Eturia. All in all, I really like the design of the Eturia, but because of both its lack of weight and less than stellar pen clip, its relegated to being my go to desk pen.

My pocket pen is still a Cross.

Edited by kamebard

Some people prefere lighter pens. Weight, size, and aesthetics are all very much a case of to each their own.

a different looking pen indeed. it really has that antique look, thanks for an honest review, you will most probably like it over time. and the nib.......

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this review. Somehow I have resisted this pen. I love my Stipulas and my titanium nibs. In addition, I love Barcelona, and this pen makes me think of that wonderful city. To buy or not to buy, that is the question.

Yes, yes, I'm replying to myself. The answer to the above question is, yes, to buy. I was lucky enough to pick one up at a Delta/Stipula show at Dromgooles in Houston today. I was happy to get a couple of nice pens at good prices, and all the more so because there was an accident involving a pen, The reps were great about it, although I was embarrassed.

• 4 months later...

Is $250 a good price for this pen?

If new, yes. If it's from somebody who bought the pen and never used it, sure. If it shows any signs of use, well you can find it new for $275. If I recall correctly the trim is sterling silver and is custom made by Stipula instead of being mass produced, both of which add to the cost. Titanium nibs cost a good bit more than steel, generaly adding $50 - $100 over the cost of a steel nib. The acrylic resin looks to be above average quality and I've yet to see anyone other than Stipula offering it. Overall the price is on the high-end for a non-gold nib, but it's very competitive with other pens in the same quality range. So it comes down to whether or not you consider the extra cost features worth the price, whether this pen is worth $250 to you.

Is $250 a good price for this pen?

If new, yes. If it's from somebody who bought the pen and never used it, sure. If it shows any signs of use, well you can find it new for $275. If I recall correctly the trim is sterling silver and is custom made by Stipula instead of being mass produced, both of which add to the cost. Titanium nibs cost a good bit more than steel, generaly adding $50 - $100 over the cost of a steel nib. The acrylic resin looks to be above average quality and I've yet to see anyone other than Stipula offering it. Overall the price is on the high-end for a non-gold nib, but it's very competitive with other pens in the same quality range. So it comes down to whether or not you consider the extra cost features worth the price, whether this pen is worth $250 to you.

Brand new from Bryant =)

The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

Try to get that pen for $225.

Mags

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.