Twsbi Diamond 540 Vs. Lamy Safari

cbagley

TWSBI Diamond 540 (smoke, F) vs. Lamy Safari (Charcoal, XF)

1. Introduction: Why the need for this comparison review? These are arguably the two best utilitarian, new FP’s under $75. After reading many FP users comment their favorite <$50 and <$150 FP to be a TWSBI and Safari for both categories (other than the L2k, for the higher end). These two pens offer a great entry to using FP’s and a faithful go-to daily writer for many who do not daily write in Copperplate :rolleyes: .

a. Price and function similarities force people to make the decision between the two

2. Appearance and Design

Summary of LAMY (9/10)

The Safari is all utility, function is beauty. Even the box is simplistic, a cardboard sleeve holds the pen in the unassuming cardboard box. Modern looks and functional forms like the large clip, matte finish, bright colors, and simplistic design will appeal to some…specifically those not looking for the traditional FP. The shape of the body is like a circle with two flat sides, meaning this pen will lay still when uncapped (esp. when posted)

Summary of TWSBI (9/10)

Utilitarian, with nothing to hide. A demonstrator with shiny furniture. TWSBI 540 is creative (unique filling system, unique ink well filling mechanism, etc). The shape of the body is like a faceted diamond, meaning the pen doesn’t roll easily when left uncapped. Good thinking TWSBI!

Distinct similarities and differences

Replaceability is the name of the game in both camps, able to change nibs on the Lamy and take apart the entire 540 (instruction manual included). The TWSBI is made for those who like to tinker.

The TWSBI, as a demonstrator, seems to carry more flair, less subtlety than the Safari.

3. Construction and Quality

Summary of Lamy (9/10)

The Safari is clearly well made, with the real writer in mind. High-density plastic body and cap make this pen very light and sturdy, a solid feel, while the matte finish gives the pen great dexterity. Because of the matt finish you probably won’t drop it, but the construction makes me confident it would hold together if it rolled off a table or out of a pocket.

Summary of TWSBI (7/10)

The TWSBI feels very good and solid in the hand. It feels very well made and is significantly thicker and heavier than the Safari. However, the body of the pen feels like a softer plastic. This makes for great feel and feedback when writing but I wouldn’t feel comfortable dropping this pen from any height. Due to this softer body material, over-tightening the threads and sudden bumps to the fittings may cause cracking. (as experienced by some 540 owners.

In summary, the Safari feels like it’s made of hard, sturdy plastic (like that used in a trash can lid or that on your TV remote control, only thicker) while the 540 feels a good bit heavier and softer (think plastic glasses frames).

4. Weight and Dimensions

Summary of the Lamy (6/10)--Highly Subjective! (I do not like thin pens)

I won’t go into details on this, you can look the numbers up yourself. The Lamy is thin, light, and long, with angled grips for proper holding, making the FP even thinner. I do not find this comfortable for long periods of writing.

Summary of the TWSBI (8/10)

The TWSBI feels longer, but it is definitely thicker and heavier than the Lamy. Slightly tapered grip section is smooth while the body is chiseled (like a diamond!), giving it many small flat sides on which to rest without rolling around.

Do remember that the Lamy is very balanced when posted, and the cap adds some weight, while the TWSBI is NOT meant to be posted. A posted Safari probably weighs the same as the unposted TWSBI.

5. Nib and Performance

Summary of the Lamy (7/10)

The Safari has a “slip-on” stainless steel nib, quite stiff. German made, the nibs run according to Western sizing (1 size bigger). The nib is moderately dry with good feedback. I purchased mine for class notes on cheap paper, so I chose XF nib, which meant drier conditions and less bleed through on my cheap paper. Great for people who like dry-writing pens and have small handwriting. Generally works well on thin paper and with difficult inks.

Summary of the TWSBI (8/10)

A considerably wetter writer for relatively the same nib size (F nib in Eastern sizing). This makes the full-size stainless steel nib considerably smoother than the Lamy, with an inevitably larger line. Also, note the nib and feed system are one unit on the TWSBI while the nib on the Safari slips on the feed. TWSBI nib feels only slightly “softer” than the Safari nib, since it is longer and has a wider base. This nib, even in Fine, is smoother than many other pens twice and 3X the price.

Distinct Similarities and differences

Note: the nib sizing is clearly marked on the CENTER of the Lamy nib, and marked very faintly on the SIDE of the TWSBI nib. Took me a while to find the nib size on the 540. Both nibs smooth out considerably after being broken in, but the TWSBI is clearly smoother and more comfortable for long periods of writing (and to get good shading from your ink).

6. Filling System and Maintenance

Summary of the Lamy (8/10)

Cartridge filler, with a converter sold separately. Converter has “wings” that slot into the head unit of the Safari, making the converter stable (no accidental twists loose). A long hole on each flat surface of the body makes for two very good ink windows. Few moving parts and solid build construction mean very little maintenance necessary. It’s a <$35 pen. Not much maintenance is necessary other than cleaning. If the tines on the nib bend, just order a new nib!

Summary of the TWSBI (10/10)

A piston filler with large capacity. The end of the pen twists (clockwise fills the pen) and is flush with the body of the pen when full. Nib/feed unit unscrews to reveal entire pen body as a giant converter. This is handy when filling with TWSBI’s proprietary ink well filling system (sold separately). As a demonstrator, the pen IS the ink window. With the clear 540, this means a lot of pen character comes from the color of ink in the tank. In terms of maintenance, the TWSBI comes with a wrench to access the piston chamber and silicon grease to lubricate the piston. The included instructions with pictures makes assembly and break down a snap.

For those who like to change inks daily, consider partially filling either pen. The TWSBI would be the better pen for trips away from the ink supply. If you love bright, vibrant inks, look at professional pictures of the clear TWSBI with ink in the chamber! Gorgeous!

7. Cost and Value

Summary of the Lamy (7/10)

For the price, the Lamy is a must-buy. I wouldn’t hesitate to throw it in my pen bag and use it to test inks. It’s sturdy and very reliable, and you don’t have to worry about scratches on the hard plastic, matte finish body. Good pen for gifting, since it means little commitment either way!

Summary of the TWSBI (9/10)

For ~$50, you get a lot of pen. The plastic is soft and potentially more crack-prone, but this lends itself to the great feel and wonderful writing feedback you’d expect from a more expensive pen. For those with the FP itch, this FP will keep you busy, trying and buying new nibs and filling the pen with fun new ink colors. It’s like the pen changes personality with each new ink selection. The TWSBI is, in my opinion, clearly a smoother, wetter, “better” daily writer.

8. Conclusion TWSBI A-, Lamy Safari B+

In conclusion, if you want a tough pen to try out, scratch, and throw around…a pen that’s a bit subtler… buy the Lamy. If you want to embrace the writing experience that makes FP’s so distinct…the dynamic and smooth way to go… buy the TWSBI (and a pen case!) with the ink well filling system. For the relatively small price you pay, you really can’t go wrong either way!

post-81708-0-29683900-1330819197.jpg

post-81708-0-28445900-1330819224.jpg

post-81708-0-43094200-1330819241.jpg

post-81708-0-64686700-1330819313.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cbagley

• rudyhou

• PDW

• rjbull

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For a Lamy Safari user thinking of getting a TWSBI this could not have been better timed. Many thanks for a most insightful comparison.

Nice review. The two (2) most purposefully practical writing instruments I have for every day use!

See with what large letters I have written you with my own hand. GaVIxi

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

Thanks for the compliments, guys! This is my first review and is, in my opinion, pretty crummy. I'll take a look at the pic uploading discussions and do a remake. Definitely working out the kinks here! :notworthy1:

I could not have said it better myself: the TWSBI changes personality with each ink you put in. Why? I don't know. I think that my Lamy writes pretty much the same way with any ink (in terms of how it gets across the paper) but the TWSBI's nib changes with the different fluids running through it. That was not a good explanation, but until I can come up with something both more scientific and eloquent, it will have to do.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Fabienne, can you be specific about which inks do what? Also which nib are you using? I'd be grateful as I begin to come to terms with my new TWSBI toy ...

very nice review. I own both pens (a TWSBI 530 and an Al-Star), but, I agree 100% with your assessments of these two writing instruments.

I have been trying out a variety of different black inks in my TWSBI ROC with broad nib. I swear that the Montblancs feel grainy as I write (or more like an ultra fine grit). Visconti Purple felt almost oily, it was so lubricated. Apache Sunset was lube-like. This could just be my wacky perception of the feel of the nib and the ink, so I have not made a big deal out of it, but it does change the character of how you write. Maybe it's just the right combination of stiffness and flexibility that telegraphs the feeling through the nib to your fingers.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Fabienne, can you be specific about which inks do what? Also which nib are you using? I'd be grateful as I begin to come to terms with my new TWSBI toy ...

Some inks are considered "lubricating", like the Noodler's Eel series. I've heard several recommendations for this type of ink in piston fillers. Really, it makes sense if you think about it. Keeping consistently smooth paper, try dipping your pen and writing with several different types of inks. Even in the same brand inks really REALLY do vary in their chemical properties. I use a fine nib with Noodler's bulletproof black, and its much smoother than my Lamy and Diamine inks in the same pen. Just a thought.

What about the other models of Lamy's in the same price range (Al-Star and another one whose name I can't remember)? Are they worth going a little bit upscale or is it better to stick to the Safari?

I personally just pick the pens that look nicest. Nib quality comes into it but I suspect most of the qualitative evaluation of a pen is dependent on how much we like the look and feel to begin with.

You can always adjust or replace nibs, but if you don't like how the pen looks or feels in the hand you can't really solve that.

There are a LOT of options in the <$75 market. These two seem very popular on these boards but I'm not sure they represent the top 2 options for "entry-level" pens. The TWSBI is more of a "next step up" pen to me.

In addition prices seem to be fluctuating, which is upsetting the heirarchy. For example, the Lamy 2000 is now a $150 pen; and the matte black Sheaffer Prelude is currently available for just $40 on Amazon.

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.

There are a LOT of options in the <$75 market. These two seem very popular on these boards but I'm not sure they represent the top 2 options for "entry-level" pens. The TWSBI is more of a "next step up" pen to me.

In addition prices seem to be fluctuating, which is upsetting the heirarchy. For example, the Lamy 2000 is now a $150 pen; and the matte black Sheaffer Prelude is currently available for just $40 on Amazon.

I put them under my more "utility" category. That's why.

What about the other models of Lamy's in the same price range (Al-Star and another one whose name I can't remember)? Are they worth going a little bit upscale or is it better to stick to the Safari?

As far as I know, the Lamy Studio is the first "slip-on" nib like the Safari with a 14k gold OPTION. The nib alone runs about $75 on their website. It comes with the typical steel nib. The al star simply has an aluminum body, and the joy is designed for calligraphy. There are plenty of reviews out there on the Lamy lineup. In my opinion, the L2k is really a different direction for Lamy, followed by the Dialog series.

i would vote for twsbi diamond over lamy safari any day, due to the fact that i can't stand lamy safari's narrow grip section.

-rudy-

As far as I know, the Lamy Studio is the first "slip-on" nib like the Safari with a 14k gold OPTION. The nib alone runs about $75 on their website.

Can anyone point me at where in the UK or EU I can buy Lamy gold nibs separately from pens? I like the flex in the gold nibs, but buying a GBP100 pen to upgrade a Nexx seems a little extravagant ...

• 1 month later...

I agree with post #2...

Currently, I have a few lamy's, but the angled grip section is killer on how I hold the pen. And the cramps. Now I'm excited to buy the 540!

Admittedly, I tried the Prera, and I think it was a dud... But I gotta try it again to be sure!

I'll like it if it's sparkly, tasty, or smells good. And if it's all three, you better hide it from me!

Well, to be totally fair, shouldn't the review pit two Safaris against the TWSBI? :)

I agree with most of the review, but because of the price points I wouldn't give the Safari that much less in "value" than the TWSBI. I'd rate them about equal, but only *because* of the Safari's lower price. The TWSBI is, to me, a clearly superior pen because of the built-in filling system...

I also meant to say: I'm not sure that I could rank the Safari as subtler than the TWSBI. That's a taste thing though!

Edited by fncll

http://katexic.com/clippings/

Love interesting words? Curious links? Great writing? Subscribe to the free, thrice weekly Katexic Clippings newsletter!

Anyone who doesn't like the Safari's narrow section should definitely look at the Lamy Nexx instead. Same working parts, but a completely different feel that I much prefer, because the section is bigger and rounder.