• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jandrese

• Fabienne

• josiah

• LioTheGr8

Another good review. I agree that this one is nice, but is overshadowed by BSIAR. Both, however, are not that great at shading. They are very saturated, and shading seems best from less saturated inks that get shading from line weight. I like the two dye component thing in principle, but in practice it mostly fails.

Is there nib creep?

What paper are you using and did you try more than one? I found the BSIAR shaded well on Staples bagasse and CF papers but not as much on the cheap work paper.

I just do my reviews on one paper, the one I use the most...Staples legal sized white pads. I do my reviews under the most average of circumstances because that is what I, and a lot of other folks, are going to be living with when using the inks. I do use things like the Premium HP 32 lb paper and Clairfontaine but that is rare...very rare.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Gosh, I find it hard to have BSiAR NOT shade. It's one of my favorites for that very reason. Please let me know what pen/paper combo you are using to have it not shade. I will stay clear of it.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

I received a sample of this ink in the last Ink Drop from Goulet. Wrote a bunch with it in an Ahab flex. It is now one of my favorite inks as well.

Hi Fabienne

On my screen the scan shows the ink to be a brown color ink. I always thought it to be a black ink with color shading, strange.

"One Ink-drop on a solitary thought hath moved the minds of millions" - P R Spencer

Another good review. I agree that this one is nice, but is overshadowed by BSIAR. Both, however, are not that great at shading.

What??? It shades a lot. check it out

fpn_1330652896__p1030533.jpg

Both BSiAR and BSiER are great shading inks, for me, though not at the level of Noodler's Apache Sunset or Sailor Jentle Kin-Mokusei. Those inks have very dramatic color changes. Paper does matter, though, for shading; more absorbent papers tend to reduce the amount of shading seen.

Another good review. I agree that this one is nice, but is overshadowed by BSIAR. Both, however, are not that great at shading.

What??? It shades a lot. check it out

fpn_1330652896__p1030533.jpg

Very nice handwriting! I agree that thses inks shade, but from a regular nib I get better shading from say R&K Salix, Noodler's Apache Sunset, and J. Herbin Orange Indien to name a few. In the case of these inks shading may be best from flex nibs like yours, makes me want to tackle my flexy pens again.

• 5 months later...

Hi Fabienne

On my screen the scan shows the ink to be a brown color ink. I always thought it to be a black ink with color shading, strange.

+1

It is definitely brown on my screen as well. That is odd...all of the other reviews show the dark reddish shade I was expecting and hoping for, as does Lince's sample.

I will probably get a sample of this ink to see it for myself, as it does seem to have some nice properties, but, like you Fabienne, I think I will still prefer the Black Swan in Australian Roses.

Holly

In my opinion, I think BSIAR is just the prettier of the two. I would love BSIER much more if it wasn't so washed out/ greyish on every review I see.

I have to agree that BSIAR shades wonderfully and beautifully. One of my professors actually asked me once how I managed to get a black ink look fuchsia around the edges once, and was surprised when I showed her my FP and HG ink.

One day I shall try BSIER for myself, but to tell you the truth, I just don't find it visually appealing. I expected it to be something of a more potent Widow Maker.

- Lio The Gr8

Super Kamea Mea Awesomeness Impersonified

Ninja Extraordinaire; Vampire Queen of the Land of Ooo

Some of the pictures here are very nice, indeed, but my experience has been that BSiER starts out a dark brick red and dries to a brown that looks more like dried blood than anything else. Maybe it's just the individual bottle... I guess I'll have to post a review at some point.