• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Runnin_Ute

• mrcharlie

• GeekyGirl

• thudthwacker

I love that you're reviewing all these black inks, Fabienne.

This was my favorite ink when I found FPN four years ago. Noodler's Black has since taken that spot, but I still have a high regard for Levenger's Raven Black.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Thanks, Fabienne! Great review. Since you "promised" me this review a few days ago, I couldn't wait. And I thought that Ether was the member most interested in blacks!!

I'm not all that hot -- as said earlier -- about blacks but they are IMO the easiest to compare with each other (har, har).

I too love Levenger inks in general. Their Cobalt Blue is one of my 5 best blues (I think). True Teal my favourite teal, although I don't even like teals. But their bottles... they belong for me to the best yet made (still made). May they also long remain so!!!

Thanks

Mike :thumbup:

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks again for a good review. About 10 years ago I used this ink a lot, and now I remember why. Just wrote myself a note to fill up a pen when I get home.

• 9 months later...

Used for a long time,but since I discovered Peilikan 4001 Blue Black haven't used at all. I did really like it though. Still have a little bit left in the bottle. The inkwell inside the bottle once the ink level got to a certain point was kind of a PITA. Fortunately it was a plastic piece and you could pull it out fairly easily.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I will miss Pinkly until, well, forever. I love Cobalt. I have Skies of Blue, Grass is Greener, Raven Black, Blue Bahama, Cardinal...all good inks.

Problem is, then I got bottles of Noodlers Saguaro and Gruene. I moved on like an ingrate...

It does seem weird to me too that Levenger's doesn't get more buzz than it does...

Good review, thanks. I may have to try it. I love the Cobalt, too.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

A very good review. I haven't use any Levenger ink for a few years. I, too, liked their ink bottles. I'll have to give Raven Black a try.

Thank you for the good review.

-David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

• 2 weeks later...

Just loaded up my AL-Star with Raven Black. I am expecting a bottle of Pelikan 4001 Blue Black shortly, but with keeping two pens inked all the time I had to move the Pel BB to my Phileas.

Forgot how nice it was in the Lamy. (both my pens are F nibs)

My first two bottles of ink were this one (Raven Black) and Levenger's Cobalt Blue. Been a while since I used the Raven Black before today - even longer since I used the Cobalt Blue.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

looks like a very good black :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

A very good black, and very permanent, too. It survived my sun tests very well. A definite keeper. (And I like the bottle, too!)

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

Am I missing something? Just went to the Levenger site to check out the ink mentioned above.

I liked several of their colors and could not find any information about how much ink is in the bottle. Also, when I went to check out what the shipping cost would be, I could not find any specific information there either. Where is this information hidden?

On the upside, everything is 25% off so that might make it work buying now rather than later.

Just curious though, the bottles look somewhat similar to the TWSBI bottle with the little ink "cup" inside. Is that the case?

Thanks for any help. No rush and I really did not want to spend the time calling until I was ready yo order.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Am I missing something? Just went to the Levenger site to check out the ink mentioned above.

I liked several of their colors and could not find any information about how much ink is in the bottle. Also, when I went to check out what the shipping cost would be, I could not find any specific information there either. Where is this information hidden?

On the upside, everything is 25% off so that might make it work buying now rather than later.

Just curious though, the bottles look somewhat similar to the TWSBI bottle with the little ink "cup" inside. Is that the case?

Thanks for any help. No rush and I really did not want to spend the time calling until I was ready yo order.

The volume of ink isn't shown on the bottle, either. I just checked mine and don't see a number. My guess is it's no more than one ounce, possibly even a little less. Yes, there is a little plastic ink cup inside to help get the last bit. It's been a long time since I ordered from Levenger, so I'm not sure what their shipping prices are like these days.

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

I vaguely remember it being 50 ml but it was a long time ago that I bought some, so I went to website and it doesn't say anywhere that I can find. That is just weird.

According to a review on the office supply geek website it is 50 ml. There is an older item here on FPN where bwahaw says it is 50 ml.

I think it is 50 ml.

Thanks for the update on ink quantity. You would think they would make that information available or at least more easily available!!

Merry Christmas to All and to All a Good Night.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I'm curious -- who makes Levenger's ink? They're a catalog operation; I believe most of what they sell is made by others. We know there are only so many ink manufacturers around, so one of the companies we know must produce for them...any knowledge here?

best,

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

Thanks for the update on ink quantity. You would think they would make that information available or at least more easily available!!

Yes, you would. I've verified that it is 50ml, fwiw. On the 23rd, I left a question for their customer support via their website. Today I received the response:

I do apologize the additional information regarding the amount of ink in the bottle was not indicated on our website. The total amount of ink in the bottle is 50 ml.

Levenger Cobalt seems a little fast flowing to me and so it is a nice ink to use in a TWSBI pen if you think the nib is set on the dry side and you want a bit more ink.

J