Sheaffer Valor Fountain Pen Review

ThirdeYe

Here is a small review of one of my favorite fountain pens, a Sheaffer Valor with a fine nib that I received for Christmas. I can't seem to put it down, so I thought I'd review it.

Please note that the Skrip Blue looks nothing like it does in the scan. It's much lighter and brighter than it appears. I also apologize that my camera isn't the greatest, but hopefully one can get the gist of the look of the pen from these pictures.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2603/scan0002kdi.jpg

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/6317/p2190369.jpg

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/6016/p2190374.jpg

http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/1460/p2190372.jpg

Normal lighting, no flash.

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/8449/p2190371.jpg

What the blue shimmer looks like with light against it, using the flash to bring out the detail.

Questions/Comments Welcome!

-Derek (ThirdeYe)

Edited by ThirdeYe

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ThirdeYe

• JeanManuel

• max dog

• Toolattack

i didnt know that there was a blue shimmer version of the valor. it probably looks trendy - blue shimmer and the traditional inlaid nib. thanks for posting and dont forget to give our regards to your girlfriend. did you get her anything in return? :ltcapd:

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

Thanks for the nice review. The Valor is the next pen I am thinking of getting. Does the nib have any flex or springiness at all?

Krishna - It actually looks pretty classy. You don't really see all the bright shimmers until you hold it up to the sunlight. In normal lighting it just looks ever so faintly blue. Very nice and understated. And yes, I got her lots of neat stuff. :)

max dog - I have the pen at home right now so I won't be able to check until after work, but I don't remember it having any spring or flex to it. It seems like it's a pretty stiff nib, but I can't remember if it will really flex or not. I'll report back on this. :thumbup:

Edited by ThirdeYe

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

Congratulations. :) It's a great pen, probably a lifetime companion, that you got there. :)

Thanks, I certainly hope so. It means a lot to me so I never plan to get rid of it. By the way, love the avatar. I have a 19 year old Siamese cat myself.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

Thanks for a great review. I like the Valor as I like most Sheaffer inlaid nib pens. It's just a shame that they don't do anything like stubs any more. :(

Thanks for the nice review. The Valor is the next pen I am thinking of getting. Does the nib have any flex or springiness at all?

I tested the nib this morning and you can get a little bit of variation out of the nib if you push pretty hard, but I wouldn't call it flexible or springy. It's a pretty stiff nib, but nice and smooth for being a fine.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

Thanks for a great review. I like the Valor as I like most Sheaffer inlaid nib pens. It's just a shame that they don't do anything like stubs any more. :(

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, I wish they had more nib offerings. They used to offer XF on the Prelude, etc., when they were still made in the U.S. but I don't believe they offer that on any of their pens anymore. A stub would be really nice.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

Congratulations. :) It's a great pen, probably a lifetime companion, that you got there. :)

Thanks, I certainly hope so. It means a lot to me so I never plan to get rid of it. By the way, love the avatar. I have a 19 year old Siamese cat myself.

Please post pictures of your cat in "Requisite Cat Photo" thread ! :)

By the way. Do you know in which factory the sh.valor is made? I heard Aurora could be taking care of its production?

Edited by JeanManuel

Everything is impermanent.

I attended a Sheaffer Pens launch cocktail event in Manila last February 21st, and the Singaporean distribution manager mentioned that the Valor was made in Italy. The other pens are made in China and other countries. They weren't very specific though.

"Luxe, calme et volupte"

I tested the nib this morning and you can get a little bit of variation out of the nib if you push pretty hard, but I wouldn't call it flexible or springy. It's a pretty stiff nib, but nice and smooth for being a fine.

Thanks for checking. Good to know a little line variation is possible. I'll have to go and try one of these out.

this is an awesome pen. the nib is springy -some might even call it semi-flex.

... and i don't mind the C/C filling system -in fact i prefer it.

cap posted, i find it just a bit top heavy, so i don't post.

mine was a present from a friend.

PS. the band does say "italy" -just like that (not "made in...").

edited: after reading the comment about the nib not being springy, i do want to accentuate that mine is. but i wouldn't call it semi-flex.

Edited by lovemy51

• 2 weeks later...

These do look nice, and they're long enough to use unposted. I like screw caps as well; the push-fit cap on my Triumph Imperial (budget 1990s version, although it looks great in burgundy and gold plate) never feels all that positive. It's a shame they couldn't have used a proper piston filler for extra ink capacity but the Sheaffer converter is fine and my Imperial isn't especially thirsty with a medium nib.

Designed in Germany, cap and barrel manufactured in Italy, nib from Fort Madison (though that may have changed in later models, I don't know either way). http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/SheafferValor.htm

It's a very interesting pen. Mine's black with PT, F nib. :) Glad you're enjoying yours!

I do not believe the nib is still made in Fort Madison. I think that was only temporary until they were able to get another factory to be able to make them. From what I understand, they were having trouble making them overseas and had to continue making them here in the U.S. until they got it down-pat.

Derek

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I bought a Valor about three years ago. It is a well made nice writer. I bought another last

year. It writes nice, but the barrel doesn't thread nicely onto the nib section and the threads

just don't have the smooth finish of the older one. Don't know if the factory has changed

locations or just a bad day at the pen line. Still a great pen though.

Don

Letter writing is the only device for combining

solitude with good company.

I bought a Valor about three years ago. It is a well made nice writer. I bought another last

year. It writes nice, but the barrel doesn't thread nicely onto the nib section and the threads

just don't have the smooth finish of the older one. Don't know if the factory has changed

locations or just a bad day at the pen line. Still a great pen though.

Don

Mine is difficult to screw-in or un-screw as well. I contacted the company I bought it from and they checked a few more they had on the shelf, and all experienced the extremely close machining that made it difficult to use. From what I've heard, they can loosen up in time, but you've had yours for 3 years so maybe not?

Derek's Pens and Pencils