Noodler's 41 - 2012 Brown

Sandy1

For convenient viewing of the images, you may wish to scroll to the menu at the very bottom of this window, then change the FPN Theme to 'IP.Board Mobile'.

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Grey Scale below.

As the patches are neutral gray, that is what you should see.

Mac

Wintel PC

Grey Scale:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/b4a04182.jpg

- = | = -

Please note:

• This Topic addresses only Noodler's #41, 2012 version.
  • The previous version of Noodler's #41 was reviewed here: LINK.
  • A separate Topic was posted that compares the two inks. LINK

Figure 1.

Swabs & Swatch

Paper: HPJ1124 24 lb.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/OOTE%20Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%202012/54bc9150.jpg

Figure 2.

NIB-ism ✑

Paper: HPJ1124.

Depicts nibs' line-width and pens' relative wetness.

IMG-thumb:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/OOTE%20Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%202012/th_ae70e512.jpg

Pens: L ➠ R: Somiko, P99, C74, 45, Phileas, Prelude.

Figure 3.

Paper base tints:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Private%20Reserve%20Chocolate/86f3378c.jpg

L ➠ R: HPJ1124, Rhodia, G Lalo white, Royal, Staples 20 lb.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick

Ruling: 8mm.

Figure 4.

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/OOTE%20Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%202012/c5c29b44.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/OOTE%20Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%202012/ce3de427.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: G Lalo, Verge de France, white.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/OOTE%20Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%202012/ae3d87a4.jpg

Figure 7.

Paper: Royal - 25% rag.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/OOTE%20Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%202012/090327f7.jpg

Figure 8.

Paper: Staples 20 lb. multi-use

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/OOTE%20Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%202012/ba25adc1.jpg

Figure 9.

Grocery List

Paper: Pulp. One-a-Day calendar page.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/OOTE%20Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%202012/b85011b5.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Figure 10.

Smear/Dry Times & Wet Tests. ☂

Pen: Parker 45+M.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/OOTE%20Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%202012/c26fbb26.jpg

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type:

• Cellulose-reactive fountain pen ink.

Presentation:

• Bottle.

Availability:

• Available when Topic posted.

Daily writer?

• Unlikely.

A go-to ink?

• When a robust warm Brown is desired, and one is able to tolerate an ink that dries .s o .v e r y . s .l .o .w .l .y . . .

USE

Business:

(From the office of Ms Blue-Black.)

• Iffy.
  • Unlikely for general correspondence.
  • As the warm colour and light tone combine to give an appearance low in gravitas, it may suit brief notes, ephemera, and inconsequential administrivia.
  • I would need to run this ink at very high density to use for person work product.
  • If I were to receive anything written in N41-12, I would give it a quick glance at most - scanning for keywords. e.g. holiday, departure, ransom.
  • Just enough zip in the warmer paler densities to make it a fairly good pick for mark-up & editing of Black-printed text.
  • Not enough zap for error correction or grading.
  • The smell may have one sent away. Far away.

Illustrations / Graphics:

• Perhaps.
  • Very high density would be required to use this for even secondary figures, so perhaps best reserved for space-defining grounds or when using dry-brush techniques.
  • For those who work over prior work with wet media, the high water-resistance is attractive when used for an early stable layer. (Unbonded dye may still come adrift - YMMV.)
  • May be useful as a transitional colour towards Brick Red.
  • The extended dry time makes rapid reworking an iffy proposition.
  • Line quality is better than most on all papers used, so narrow lines are possible on textured papers.

Students:

• Possible.
  • As there was no bleed- show-through on the Staples 20lb, two-sided use of 'lowest bidder' copy paper appears a reasonable expectation.
  • The robust properties make N41-12 a possible pick for use in environments where exposure to aggressive fluids is possible.
  • Extended dry times are likely to make smearing problematic. (Use of blotter sheets is likely do-able. Fragrant though it may be, pouncing during lectures or in labs should likely be avoided.)
  • Not suitable for assignments.

Personal:

• Unlikely.
  • As much as I am growing to enjoy Brown inks, N41-12 just does not have what I find attractive in terms of overall appearance for 'personal' personal writing.
  • While it may be too nice for pro forma personal business writing, I'd use up the volume I hadn't gifted away.
  • With the high line quality, potential for shading, and low risk of bleed- show-through, those who enjoy the medium density and warm colour could come to enjoy this ink. Like some other inks that are pale but have a performance profile that allows their use with [very] wet writers, N41-12 offers a wide range of density. There is some shading potential at middling densities on smooth paper, so pairing of pen+paper should take that into account.
  • Billets doux?

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• Middling.

Nib Dry-out:

• Not seen.

Start-up:

• Immediate.
  • With confidence.

Lubrication:

• Quite nice & smooth.
  • Even the narrow nibs were tolerable on textured papers.

Nib Creep:

• Not seen.

Staining (pen):

• Temporary stain seen on converters.
  • Required treatment in solution of 10% unscented household ammonia + surfactant to remove. :glare:

Clogging: †

• Not seen.

Bleed- Show-Through:

• Royal: Very slight.
  • Two-sided use is possible on all samples.

Feathering / Woolly Line:

• Not seen.

Aroma: :sick:

• Sharp.
  • Strong.
  • Stinky.
  • Consider SCBA. LINK

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Not evident.

Clean Up: †

• Temporary stain seen on converters.
  • Required treatment in solution of 10% unscented household ammonia + surfactant to remove. (Entire sections were treated, as well as internals of caps & barrels.) :o

Mixing:

• Discouraged.
  • The ink-to-cellulose bond may be compromised by other ingredients, hence reducing the robust character of the ink. (Though other of Noodler's cellulose-reactive inks might be tried.)

Archival:

• Claimed.

Smear/Dry Times & Water Resistance:

• As shown in Figure 10 above.
  • S/DT results were quite bothersome.
  • I suggest that samples be run using your own stuff in your own environment to determine if that is a show-stopper.
  • Additional input from others who use this ink is greatly appreciated.

† As with other cellulose-reactive inks, one should bring their 'A' game to the clean-up regimen.

• Internals and caps & barrels should be washed, and the pen disassembled to the extent that one is confident that it can be re-assembled after cleansing. e.g. Remove nib from section of Parker 45 & 75s, detach Lamy Safari nib from feed.
  • Commercial and home-made pen cleaning solutions may be used to advantage, as might a good long soak.
  • I suggest cleansing a pen when one is done writing, and avoid letting ink linger in an unused pen.
  • Some practitioners are reluctant to use high maintenance inks in pens which are inherently tedious to remove the last vestiges of ink: e.g. Vacumatics, Snorkies.

THE LOOK

Fortunately N41-12 does not suffer from the chalky or paint-like appearance of some cellulose-reactive inks, yet it has no lustre.

Presence:

• Unsteady.
  • Reminiscent of luke warm Roobois.

Saturation:

• Slightly low.

Shading:

• Can be encouraged - even from narrow nibs.
  • Attractive when it appears.
  • See the HiRes image from the C74 on Rhodia below.

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • About as expected.

[*]Papers used:

• Less than expected.

[*]Malleability:

• Quite high.
    • As mentioned, N41-12 is rather pale, but has a performance profile that supports running at high density from wet writers on absorbent papers with little penalty.
    • If shading is desired, use of a hard smooth paper holds promise.

Hi-Res Scans:

Originals are approximately 57.2 x 45.1mm.

As I do not wish to be dubbed 'Queen of The Bandwidth Bandits', these are IMG-thumbs only. To view as intended, kindly click the image.

Somiko on HPJ1124

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/OOTE%20Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%202012/th_e4a04c44.jpg

C74 on Rhodia

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/OOTE%20Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%202012/th_65361977.jpg

45 on G Lalo

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/OOTE%20Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%202012/th_0be7efb8.jpg

Prelude on Royal

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/OOTE%20Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%202012/th_4ccaab38.jpg

FIDELITY

Is the name appropriate?

• No.
  • This is quite a different ink than the original #41, which is/was described on the Noodler's site as "The color is an extremely dark and deep sepia brown . . ."
  • WTH?? Fail.

Are swabs/swatches accurate?

• At time of posting, a sample of N41-12 is not available on Noodler's site.

OTHER INKS

Comparisons:

• A separate Topic comparing the original #41 Brown to this ink is planned to be posted next door in the ICS&T SubForum.

• My Ink Reviews of Brown inks from March 1st 2011 onward share the same format and some of the same pen+paper combos; hence support comparisons through manipulation of browser windows. That said, if you feel a specific aspect of N41-12 deserves to be depicted/documented as a stand-alone Topic or Post, your PM will be welcomed.

Swab Swami:

IMG-thumb:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/OOTE%20Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%202012/th_799e6547.jpg

Left ➠ Right: Waterman Havana, Pelikan 4000 Brown, Diamine Saddle Brown.

PAPERS

Lovely papers:

• A considerable range, though I prefer warm or natural base tints.

Trip-wire Papers: ☠

• None seen.

Tinted Papers:

• I would not go too very warm with this ink, and definitely avoid cold whites, pale Blue.
  • The warmth of the 'natural' G Lalo is about my limit.

Pre-Printed Papers:

• Forms, etc.
    • Certainly.
    • The warm colour comes forward nicely, but I would run it at high density, which may be a default result on lowest bidder paper.

[*]For charts & graphs:

• Possible.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• Not really, performance on HPJ1124 was quite acceptable indeed.
  • High-end papers may be in the mix should one choose to pursue shading.

ETC.

Majik:

• Rather unlikely.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• The C74 on Rhodia.
  • OK OK. Even though I am not enamoured with N41-12, the high density and shading from the SFM nib give the line interesting variance. The narrow line allows the ink to remain light on page.
  • The Rhodia promotes the shading, and its base-tint keeps the ink from failing to occupy the page.

Yickity Yackity:

• So this is why purchasing the wee sample size is so popular!
  • Fortunately I know some people who paint and draw, and like to have a robust ink in their paint box.
  • I envisage many envelopes being addressed with N41-12 from a dip pen.
  • Ah kushbaby, no need to surveil your mail box - I won't be gifting you with a wee Nalgene of this one.

======

NUTS & BOLTS

Pens

Written Samples:

Sailor Somiko + TIGP F nib.

Pelikan P99 Technix + steel F nib.

Pilot Custom 74 + 14K №5 SFM nib. (OoooLaLa)

Parker 45 + steel M nib.

Waterman Phileas + steel B nib.

Sheaffer Prelude + factory stock steel Stub nib.

Lines & labels: Parker Quink Blue-Black [sic] from a Pilot 78G.

______

Papers:

HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.

Rhodia.

G Lalo, Verge de France, white.

Royal, 25% cotton rag.

Staples 20 lb. multi-use.

Pulp. One-a-Day calendar page.

______

Images

Scans were made on an Epson V600 scanner; factory defaults were accepted.

Figures shown were scanned at 200 dpi & 24 bit colour.

HiRes Images linked were scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.

Scans were not adjusted post-capture, other than dumb-down by Photobucket and IP.Board s/w.

______

Densitometer Readings:

(HPJ1124)

Red 143

Grn 116

Blu 93

Lum 117

______

Fine Print

The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of matériel used.

Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.

As always, YMMV, not only from materials, methods, environment, etc., but also due to differences between the stuff I used, and that you may have.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

Tags: Fountain Pen Ink Review Noodler's 41 forty-one Brown bulletproof 2012 Sandy1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• wastelanded

• Tweel

• Ruminator

Excellent review, as always: bonus points and mad respect for use of the word "administrivia". Does it really smell that bad?

Not the most charming of inks, it would seem.

Edited by wastelanded
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Excellent review, as always: bonus points and mad respect for use of the word "administrivia". Does it really smell that bad?

Not the most charming of inks, it would seem.

Hi,

Thank-you for the compliment!

While each person has their own 'threshold' of what smells are acceptable, and I am accustom to some industrial & livestock smells, this stuff is foul.

A [damp] neckerchief/shemagh over one's nose & mouth would be OK for short term. If writing at length, use in a well-ventilated room fitted with an exhaust fan, or outdoors, seems appropriate.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

While each person has their own 'threshold' of what smells are acceptable, and I am accustom to some industrial & livestock smells, this stuff is foul.

A [damp] neckerchief over one's nose & mouth would be OK for short term. If writing at length, use in a well-ventilated room fitted with an exhaust fan, or outdoors, seems appropriate.

I'll take your word for it. I usually find the (normal) smell of inks not disagreeable at all. This stuff sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

Lee

PS - Nudge nudge, hint hint...Kaweco Sepia?

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Maybe Nathan can change the name to Noodler's Valerian Root. Ever smell that herb?

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

psssst : Ink Link

I knowwww...I was implying that it would benefit from one of your expert reviews ;)

Thanks for your usual highly-detailed review. I am so disappointed, though, that this is not the #41 I've come to appreciate. I guess the cost of materials forced Nathan to change the formulation, but not for the better.

Best...

-=d

Maybe Nathan can change the name to Noodler's Valerian Root. Ever smell that herb?

Maybe he's changed Brown 41 into a Groove Tube reference.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Thanks for your usual highly-detailed review. I am so disappointed, though, that this is not the #41 I've come to appreciate. I guess the cost of materials forced Nathan to change the formulation, but not for the better.

Best...

-=d

Hi,

You're welcome!

I too am disappointed that the original #41 could not be emulated more closely.

And as for the cost, (I prefer not to discuss that in an IR - the price tag is not a colour swatch), but some people are willing to splash-out for premier inks.

Ah well, awaiting 41-2013 or #42 or . . .

Bye,

S1

"Aroma:

Consider SCBA. LINK"

:roflmho:

Thanks for the detailed review. I thought about buying this ink. It looks like I'm going to have to pass.

And yes, I know it's bourbon.

"Aroma:

Consider SCBA. LINK"

:roflmho:

Thanks for the detailed review. I thought about buying this ink. It looks like I'm going to have to pass.

Hi,

Well, the stuff actually turns my stomach when I use it; has me sipping ginger root tea to set things right.

Member Silent Speaker mentioned HERE , Post № 13, that "It kinda smells of a sharpie marker - not quite as strong, but a definite 'whiff' of something similar."

Your sensitivity may vary . . .

Bye,

S1

Maybe he's changed Brown 41 into a Groove Tube reference.

Hi,

So sorry - I can't grasp the connection between Valerian Root and the Groove Tube. Does it have to do with USA politics like the '#41' reference? or? . . .

Bye,

S1

At first, I have the trough of that ink: well, I'm not sure of it. Then I started to like it. It is I think a good choice for journal if you want to give a feel down to the earth tone. My journals are beige.

It may also be a good choice for signature. It makes the signature stand from the printed letter but not too much. Still, I won't use this ink for writing a full contract on a white sheet of paper.

Edited by Messmer

Messmer

At first, I have the trough of that ink: well, I'm not sure of it. Then I started to like it. It is I think a good choice for journal if you want to give a feel down to the earth tone. My journals are beige.

It may also be a good choice for signature. It makes the signature stand from the printed letter but not too much. Still, I won't use this ink for writing a full contract on a white sheet of paper.

Hi,

As much as I am still fairly new to Brown inks, I share your opinion that if one has this ink, it is likely to be called upon for specific needs / niche use than for all-round general use.

I hope to hear from those who have more experience with N41 2012.

Bye,

S1

• 6 years later...

Great review of a solid waterproof brown ink - thank you!

I've had a bottle since early 2014 and don't think I've seen another brown ink that is as bombproof. Though I only ink it for specific purposes, I still love it and don't hesitate to recommend it to anyone who wants a nice bulletproof brown.

Thanks for being so thorough and detailed in your ink reviews - all of them are ridiculously helpful.