Battle Of The Giants

mongrelnomad

Battle of the Giants

I will try and do a series of three comparison tests in the coming weeks - not only for the benefit of FPN, but also for my own benefit: to see where I stand regarding my own collection, and where it can go. I will do a quick comparison review of pens of similar size, giving my own personal subjective opinion of my favourites - the what and, hopefully, the why.

And so, today I shall start by reviewing the monsters, those great oversize creations which sit at the very pinnacle of their makers' trees. Hopefully this will be an easy way in as - unlike my "full-size" review - the number of pens is relatively easy to handle. Three pens, each with a different filling system, each from a different country.

So, to the pens!

In the black corner: the venerable Montblanc 149. No oversize comparison would be complete without this pen. For some it is not only the ultimate giant, it is the ultimate pen. Like the Model T Ford, it's available in any colour so long as it's black.

In the green corner: the Conway Stewart Churchill. This is available in countless materials and colours, with a choice of two filling systems. The pen in question is a lever-filling red whirl.

And finally, in the red corner: the Sailor KOP. Does this marble ebonite pen live up to the hyperbole? Is this really the "King of Pens"?

Fight!

1. First impressions:

It is ironic that the pen with the most 'snob' appeal is also the least assuming; if you laid the three out side-by-side it would be the Montblanc that would be left upon the tray. "Dour" might be the way to describe it, but as an object, it is iconic in its teutonic seriousness. This pen has no sense of humour, that much is clear.

The CS, on the other hand, it is a riot of design details and delightful touches, from the massive cap-band, machined top-cap, the old-skool clip, imprinted lever and square-top, tapered-end design. As is always true of Conway Stewarts, the resin is far more complex than photos can show: the red swirls cut through green of varying depths, sometimes dark, sometimes vibrant, sometimes sparkling. It begs to be picked up and studied.

The Sailor is somewhere between. It has that simplicity of form in common with the MB, yet stripped of much of the german's furniture, it shares a level of detailing delicacy with the CS while being distinctly Japanese in its subtlety.

Oversize2.jpg

Oversize3.jpg

2. Fit and Finish:

I'll cut to the chase: all three are excellent. The MB is typical MB - fantastic tolerances and a cap that screws in solidly and posts solidly. It is SOLID.

The CS too has fantastic fit-and-finish, but I must admit it was not always this way. I bought the pen from The Writing Desk and it had to go back to CS due to a hole of a few millimeters beside the clip. As it is now, it feels very much like a quality item, even if it lacks that 'survive a nuclear winter' feel of the 149.

And the Sailor? It makes the Montblanc feel cheap. Everything feels so tight and well constructed that were it not for the cap-top whose ebonite markings do not perfectly align, I would have thought it were milled from a solid piece of rubber.

3. Filling System:

This is where it gets interesting. You picks your pen you makes your choice! Two integral systems and a c/c; which do you prefer?

The MB is the usual piston; the CS is a lever filler; the Sailor a cartridge-converter. The MB's piston: efficient, reliable, smooth, with a huge capacity (surprise). Also to its credit, it has an ink window.

The CS: the lever is beautiful itself, has a bit of spring to it and is a tactile joy to use. But there is a but... there is some play to it as it is filled, the capacity is surprisingly small, and with the internal sac, you do have to question the longevity.

Why Sailor, why!?? I know there was a special edition KOP with the Realo piston filling system all those years ago - why is it not on sale today? The converter, frankly, is a joke: housed within a massive metal case it is, still, a standard tiny capacity converter. With a normal nib, it would be a problem; with this pen's nib… well, more on that later.

Oversize 7.jpg

4. Comfort:

These are all super-large pens, yet it is instructive that there is only one I find comfortable to use for long periods: the Churchill. Yes, it is a truncheon rather than a pen (you'll poke someone's eye out if you're using it posted!), but with no metal internals and surprisingly few parts, it is very light and very evenly balanced. The section, too is more organic than the other two, narrowing where the fingers sit so the grip is not too broad. Both the others are substantially heavier (they weigh about the same), both have straight sections of about the same width; the main difference is the balance - the Sailor being a c/c has its weight closer to the nib whilst the MB has a more consistent balance throughout.

Oversize4.jpg

5. Nib:

This is where the direct comparo falls down. Each of these pens has a different nib size, so use your imaginations if you're considering a like-for-like purchase.

The MB nib is a thing of beauty. It is HUGE, two-tone and a joy to behold. It is also a typical MB nib - smooth as butter and, in this F example, soft and springy.

The CS nib is an EF and disappointingly is not unique to the Churchill. It is, in fact, the same size nib as many others in the CS catalogue and, being screw-in, can be exchanged or swapped across much of the range. In isolation, it does not appear too small, yet it is dwarfed by the MB. This specific EF nib is quite dry with a little feedback (which I like) leaving a very fine line, but with a smooth flow and nearly as much flex as the MB (though it does not feel as soft in use).

Now this is where it all goes really awry, for the KOP has one of Sailor's speciality nibs. Not just any speciality nib, but rather the epic King Eagle nib. For those of you unfamiliar with the nutty nibs, this is three nibs stacked atop each other - its line can be varied (from oh-my-god it's a paint-brush to dear-me that's fine) by varying the angle to the paper. It cannot be judged by normal standards, and it will drain a converter in the time it takes you to sneeze. Like I said: epic. And unique.

Oversize5.jpg

Oversize6.jpg

Oversize.jpg

Price:

All three of these pens can be had for approximately the same price. As tested here the Sailor is the most expensive, but that is down to the choice of materials and nib. A resin pen with a standard nib would undercut the others. The CS, too, is unrepresentative as mine is a bespoke pen (the Red Whirl, though once a standard colour, is now only available to build) - if you like the standard colours, it is available for 20% less than I paid. And the MB - well, one of the great constants is the 149's price ;)

5. Conclusion:

Oh dear. What have we concluded? Not alot. These are all three great pens and in truth I cannot fault them. If I had to choose one, it would be the Conway Stewart, but that is purely subjective as I am smitten by the resin and the comfort of the section. Between the MB and the KOP? It would have to be the MB, but only because of the filling system. Should Sailor release a true piston KOP (and not adorn it with any more gold), the results may be reversed, but for now, that's just the way it is...

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mongrelnomad

• hari317

• Silent Speaker

• flipper_gv

Really wonderful review! I would be at a complete loss for what to do with that Sailor nib.

Angry notes (hence the Red Dragon - a suitably angry colour) :P

In seriousness, though, it has not really got as much use as it should. Mostly, it was used for drawing (filled with Sailor grey ink for shading), although I have just bought some Pelikan highlighter ink for it...

Edited by mongrelnomad

Outstanding review :thumbup: My standard for oversized nibs will always be a 149 and a modern pel m1000. However having tried and testwritten asailor kop with a naginata nib I was quite surprised, now if it only had a piston filler that would be a pen I would seriously consider.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Great review. I find the 149 to be the perfect large pen, comfortable to use for long periods, with a large nib, and piston filler with a generous ink capacity. The nib size on the CS needs to be super-sized, and the c/c on the KOP is definitely a deal breaker!

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. Love that Sailor nib!!! I have the same CS pen, only I have a broad nib. Like all CS pens with anything other than standard cc filler it has problems. The lever filler bar has sharp edges so be careful for punctured ink sac. CS has good looking pens but frustrating issues, and all mine have made several trips back to CS. Unlike the other two pens here, the CS can't be totally trusted. The MB, I had one and sold it. The nib was a fine and was nearly a nail with dry flow. CS nibs are much softer. Typically, the cap did not screw on securely. I like my Writers editions, and 100 year pens much much more than the 149. I've never tried the KOP, having never seen one in a US pen shop. They seem over priced. I don't mind the cc filler, but the desirable urushi versions are much more than Nakaya, Dani Trio, Hakase, and I don't see why. Anyway, I'm looking forward to your next installments.

I really don't see the point in comparing that specific Sailor nib to an occidental Fine. Get the same Fine nib on a Sailor pen, and both other pens are irrelevant, comparing smoothness and line variation.

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

Maybe the KOP and nib need a tube filling system...one that attaches by hose to a canister under desk ;) Of the three, I'm most drawn to the KOP.

Tamara

Cool review. A piston filling Sailor KOP at a competitive price would be a fascinating pen. The convertor is a deal breaker at the current price point regardless of the selected nib.

Great review. As others have already commented and expressed, I am puzzled at Sailor's choice of converter fill for the KOP (On another note, the reason I cannot even consider getting above the 742 or 743 lines for Pilot's converter-fill pens is that there is no point having a bigger pen with a feeble and insufficient filling system in my biased opinion).

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

What a stunning review, thank you!

I must say, that CS looks amazing. I have a Winston of equal magnitude.

Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance

That nib on your KOP is superb! wow!

I wonder why the Japanese big three have all but abandoned their famous ED filling system with shut off valve. Other than the high end on Namiki no one else seems to be offering pens with the ED system, save for the Japanese made Dani Trios.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I am curious about why you have selected only these three pens in this comparison. From what I read, I think you are fond of Nakayas also and they are perhaps of similar size to the CS Churchill? also the M1000?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thank you for this lovely and informative review.

This is the case that if you can simply buy all three that you will not have the heart ache of choosing one :)

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

Thanks all for the supportive feedback! I have been giving some pens a quick workout in readiness of my next review. I don't want to spoil the surprise, but it will feature four pens representing Europe and Asia!

I am curious about why you have selected only these three pens in this comparison. From what I read, I think you are fond of Nakayas also and they are perhaps of similar size to the CS Churchill? also the M1000?

Hari - there were only these three pens as these are the only oversize pens I own. I once had a Danitrio, but it somehow found its way to Mumbai ;)

I once had a Danitrio, but it somehow found its way to Mumbai ;)

:) It has been re-homed a few months back. I just have one Dani now, a Mikado in red Tamenuri.

Edited by hari317

I wonder why the Japanese big three have all but abandoned their famous ED filling system with shut off valve. Other than the high end on Namiki no one else seems to be offering pens with the ED system, save for the Japanese made Dani Trios.

I think that such an ED system would be prime for one of these ink-guzzling, Sailor speciality super nibs. (say that 4x, fast).

So much for "progress" :glare:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thank you, mongrelnomad, for this wonderful comparison! I'm especially glad to see a CS Churchie in comparison; it's hard to find pics of them paired with other like-pens (I'm considering one, you see, but I will only be able to see one in person when I travel to another country - so these pics are especially helpful!).

You mention that the Churchill's filling capacity is: "surprisingly small". I know that it may be difficult to judge, but would you say it holds less ink than the 149 then? Or do you just mean, "surprisingly small" for its size?

Edited by Silent Speaker

You mention that the Churchill's filling capacity is: "surprisingly small". I know that it may be difficult to judge, but would you say it holds less ink than the 149 then? Or do you just mean, "surprisingly small" for its size?

Both. I have often run out of ink when I was sure that I had (or should have had) more left to go.

Not scientific, I know, but this is certain: the 149 holds substantially more ink.

Edited by mongrelnomad