J. Herbin - 1670

dizzymizzy

Hello. Here is my third ink "mini review." It is very informal, using my normal penmanship. Nothing fancy: no water tests, no drip tests, no UV tests, no laser tests, no explosive tests. Just quite literally my first impressions as I wrote with the ink (please pardon any spelling/grammar issues).

This is a nice vibrant ink. It is saturated using my 1.1 Italic Lamy nib and the gold, shading artifacts that appear randomly are quite nice... if hard to see. I was immediately attracted to this ink. This test was done on a Rhodia 80g/m pad using a Studio.

The first image is enlarged at about 200%.

post-78541-0-69462500-1323310356.jpg

This second image should showcase some of the gold shading artifacts that randomly appear. I presume more gold would be visible with a pen/nib that puts down a bit more ink than mine. Note the high saturation and the arrows pointing the gold artifacts.

post-78541-0-46412400-1323310368.jpg

---

Wanted: Waterman 52 1/2 V

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dizzymizzy

• shaylenwilliams

• JonSzanto

• hgdolfan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello. Here is my third ink "mini review." It is very informal, using my normal penmanship. Nothing fancy: no water tests, no drip tests, no UV tests, no laser tests, no explosive tests. Just quite literally my first impressions as I wrote with the ink (please pardon any spelling/grammar issues).

This is a nice vibrant ink. It is saturated using my 1.1 Italic Lamy nib and the gold, shading artifacts that appear randomly are quite nice... if hard to see. I was immediately attracted to this ink. This test was done on a Rhodia 80g/m pad using a Studio.

The first image is enlarged at about 200%.

post-78541-0-69462500-1323310356.jpg

This second image should showcase some of the gold shading artifacts that randomly appear. I presume more gold would be visible with a pen/nib that puts down a bit more ink than mine. Note the high saturation and the arrows pointing the gold artifacts.

post-78541-0-46412400-1323310368.jpg

No explosives test?! No laser??!! What kind of review is this? :)

Your review matches my results pretty well. I also see little gold on a rhodia dot pad (though my cheaper papers show the gold well) I used a noodler's flex pen and see the same color as you on the upstrokes, but a much deeper red on the downstrokes.

nice review of a fun ink!

The gold artifacts may be what you see on the bottom of the bottle if you let it sit for a while. Maybe?

Current Rotation:

Sailor 1911 (Noodlers Blue) / TWSBI 530 (Diamine Oxblood) / Noodlers Flex (JH Poussiere De Lune)

Kaweco Sport (Kaweco Green)

I find that I need to give the bottle a vigorous shaking before I fill a pen if I want to get the gold effects. As you state, they show up more in a wetter pen then a dry one. Case in point, my Ahab shows the effect more readily, where my CdA Ecridor shows it more sporadically (it is by no means a dry pen). I find that the ink becomes almost green when well mixed in my Ahab.

Since all of you have rather low post counts, be sure to search the ink reviews to see past reviews of this ink. It is unique, and has some intriguing qualities, but please be aware of some of the issues that people have had with it as well. Some of these issues don't crop up immediately. In spite of admiring this ink a *lot* it became one of only two inks I had to abandon. YMMV.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Since all of you have rather low post counts, be sure to search the ink reviews to see past reviews of this ink.

:hmm1:

---

Just to be clear, I didn't mean that as an insult at all! I just noticed that the participants hadn't been members of FPN for that long (excepting one?) and this ink got a lot of discussion. If it works for you, I'm completely happy, but there are people on the forum who have a long track record of many pens and many inks who indicated they had problems with this ink. It isn't just 'how it looks', etc, but how it was actually affecting their pens. Just worth noting.

I sure wish it had worked for me, as I really like this ink. I even tried to dedicate one pen to it, but it simply became unusable.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I find it kind of scary that there is a possiblity of gold dust or whatever that is getting stuck in my feed

and all the innards of my pen! Even as beautiful as the ink is! :headsmack:

There are a bunch of inks with sheens, typically either gold/green or red. A lot of times, they will leave a "residue" of the sheen on the feed of the pen, but I've never had trouble getting one clean- without much extra work.

I've not had problems with 1670, but even the concept of what is a problem and what isn't is totally subjective. Some people will write off an ink because of nib creep. It doesn't bother others in the slightest. My policy with "problem" inks, is to try it in a pen of little consequence, and move on from there. I accidentally loaded 1670 into a nearly 60 year old pen, and it was fine.

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

I have read those reviews and the concerns of others. Many pens I have, like the Lamy, don't dump enough ink on the paper for the sheen to really become visible, so I've relegated the ink to pens like my flex nibs that veritably spew ink. These pens are not expensive and easily serviceable. This potential problem for me is, well, anything but.

---

Since all of you have rather low post counts, be sure to search the ink reviews to see past reviews of this ink. It is unique, and has some intriguing qualities, but please be aware of some of the issues that people have had with it as well. Some of these issues don't crop up immediately. In spite of admiring this ink a *lot* it became one of only two inks I had to abandon. YMMV.

Yeah. Skipping, drying out even on a capped pen. But I love it. :cloud9:

I won't buy another, however. :bawl:

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

I love this ink but find that it goes down as much more intense (brighter) than it dries. It dries to a sort of more orange/brown color (rather dried blood like). The gold/artifacts don't show up as shiny gold but more strange alien greenish places in the ink. I like it, it gives it character but it isn't shiny gold.

Odd, if find that when 1670 is wet, it looks very red; dry it reminds me of Antietam by Noodler's.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I have read those reviews and the concerns of others. Many pens I have, like the Lamy, don't dump enough ink on the paper for the sheen to really become visible, so I've relegated the ink to pens like my flex nibs that veritably spew ink. These pens are not expensive and easily serviceable. This potential problem for me is, well, anything but.

That's pretty much how I feel about it too. When I accidentally put it into my Eversharp, I'd intended for it to go into a Noodler's Flex. It was fine in the Eversharp though, and the wetness made it look amazing with the sheen. It's not an ink I use very often, but in the right pen, it can look pretty stunning.

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

The gold/artifacts don't show up as shiny gold but more strange alien greenish places in the ink. I like it, it gives it character but it isn't shiny gold.

Odd, if find that when 1670 is wet, it looks very red; dry it reminds me of Antietam by Noodler's.

Yes! Alien greenish places is exactly it. I would prefer that it be shiny gold or that it retained the just wet colour.

Colour is its own reward - N. Finn

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, my one cent here. I'm not a real beginner but I'm still peeved. I've been reading everything ever written about this ink (I think) but to no avail. I have tried out 3 bottles (all with the non-wax top successor charge) with no success. I've shaked and danced these, and used my widest, wettest , most springy, and most italicized pens/nibs ands still see no gold. Two handfuls of different papers too, of course.

Just wanted to let you know that there may have been a charge or two without any gold. Maybe all I need is a new pair of glasses....

Mike :mad:

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)