Paper Suggestions For Letters? Clairefontaine Questions Too

gks

So people really like the Triomphe paper from Clairefontaine?

I recently started sending letters to a girl I have a giant crush on. While I'm only two letters into this whole thing I have just been using standard printer paper at this point because my handwriting isn't the best and I see no real need to ruin perfectly fantastic paper until I can consistently write without screwing something up in my cursive. But I hope that within the next month or two I'll be more comfortable and may consider getting something a bit more pleasing to write on.

My only real concern is the A4 sized sheets vs standard 8.5x11.. i suppose the size isn't that much of a difference and I'd probably just buy their envelopes to make sure it fits properly. How well do the pads hold up by the time you reach the bottom sheet? I've had pads like this in the past (graph paper) and the glue binding typically blew out a bit over halfway through. This left me with a pad, and a back cardboard sheet that I could hold in two separate hands.

Another question though, how well do the envelopes (the Clairefontaine) work with wax seals?

Also, I kinda wish they made ivory colored paper.

Thanks for any insight.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gks

• GreenVelvet

• Brian K

• RudyR

Have a look at the G Lalo if you're worried about the smoother paper on Triomphe. They come in ivory and colors. I've never tried sealing wax. Are you flipping the paper over the top to write multiple sheets at a time, or tearing the sheet loose and writing on the back?

I like the Clairefontaine because I rarely get bleed through even with large/wet nibs. Just get the matching envelopes.

I applaud your efforts to write better looking letters to your girl. As someone who would secretly save ANYTHING my beloved wrote to me, regardless of the paper, don't go over the top with seals. Content is FAR more important until you get to know each other. This is your chance to catch her interest. :thumbup: But make sure that interest is reciprocated before your pour out everything.

Decent paper, decent ink, decent envelopes and give things time to develop.

I believe the most important thing would be to write, even if your handwriting isn't that good. As for me, I don't have the best handwriting in the world either but I don't mind blowing a few cents more for a good quality paper. It does help convey more to the experience of receiving a letter for your dear love.

Seals are an added pleasure. I have used them on the G lalo envelopes and they worked fine. remember to use supple wax for USPS service since the seal will hold up to mechanical processing a lot better than regular brittle wax. Too bad though because some of the fun of cracking the seal ON the letter paper would be part of the ceremony of affection that is associated with a love letter.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

Have a look at the G Lalo if you're worried about the smoother paper on Triomphe. They come in ivory and colors. I've never tried sealing wax. Are you flipping the paper over the top to write multiple sheets at a time, or tearing the sheet loose and writing on the back?

I like the Clairefontaine because I rarely get bleed through even with large/wet nibs. Just get the matching envelopes.

I applaud your efforts to write better looking letters to your girl. As someone who would secretly save ANYTHING my beloved wrote to me, regardless of the paper, don't go over the top with seals. Content is FAR more important until you get to know each other. This is your chance to catch her interest. :thumbup: But make sure that interest is reciprocated before your pour out everything.

Decent paper, decent ink, decent envelopes and give things time to develop.

Great advice. I don't plan to pour out everything at this point. But it is a way to feel a bit closer to someone when they're 350 miles away for school.

I don't have a job currently so I'm pinching pennies but I can easily afford the $10-20 for paper/envelopes since they'd probably last me months.

I just bought the simple seal package from Goulet for $38. The reason is pretty straight forward, she likes that handwritten letters are sort of old fashioned. So the seals just add to that sort of feeling. The $40 should again last me months. So I wasn't worried about going all out on it. Besides, I'd like to use these for thank you letters and get well cards and such too. It's just a small investment for doing more actual writing and less emailing. The letter writing was just what spurred a biggest interest that I've been putting off for awhile.

I HOPE these are something she'll save. I don't think I'll ever spend hundreds of dollars on paper and envelopes and stuff like that but the little things are within reach and will hopefully be worthwhile eventually. She seems to just be happy that it isn't New Times Roman 12 that she has to read haha.. her words, not mine.

I'll check out the G Lalo you mentioned. Appreciate the suggestions :)

Edited by gks

I believe the most important thing would be to write, even if your handwriting isn't that good. As for me, I don't have the best handwriting in the world either but I don't mind blowing a few cents more for a good quality paper. It does help convey more to the experience of receiving a letter for your dear love.

Seals are an added pleasure. I have used them on the G lalo envelopes and they worked fine. remember to use supple wax for USPS service since the seal will hold up to mechanical processing a lot better than regular brittle wax. Too bad though because some of the fun of cracking the seal ON the letter paper would be part of the ceremony of affection that is associated with a love letter.

You seem to have the same mindset as me. I don't want to spend a lot of money but if I can improve the experience for a few extra pennies then I will.

As far as the seal goes, I'm hoping it will last but I got supple J. Herbin wax which says it's mailbox friendly. Maybe if I end up sending a lot more letters and using seals I'll look into getting something custom made. But for now, a single initial and the idea the seal conveys will be enough I think.

You could try out the paper sample packs from the Goulets - they have both G Lalo and Clairfontaine. You could ask them if their going to add Crown Mill to their line of paper sample packs.

If you live in the US (sorry, don't recognize your flag) I'd be happy to send you a couple of sheets of the Rhodia Premium 'R' paper GreenVelvet recommended - I love it and the Goulets sell it too in several sizes and types. If you're interested in Rhodia paper PM me your address. I'm all for encouraging Love.

Edited by stonezebra

I appreciate the comments!

I think I'm going to order some of the G Lalo paper and the matching envelopes when the time comes. I feel like I have a ways to go before I'm going to spend any money on paper. I figure if the letters are still going out in January I'll spend the $20 or so on the G Lalo or get some sample packs from the Goulet's.

The Rhodia stuff looks interesting too.

A question for you G Lalo people. One of the features I liked about the Clairefontaine paper was that with the Blank sheets they include a lined page to place under the paper to use as a guide. Now I realize you could use just about any sheet for this, but is the same included with the G Lalo blank tablets? I liked the idea because the page is designed to fit in the tablet and not get in the way.

A question for you G Lalo people. One of the features I liked about the Clairefontaine paper was that with the Blank sheets they include a lined page to place under the paper to use as a guide. Now I realize you could use just about any sheet for this, but is the same included with the G Lalo blank tablets? I liked the idea because the page is designed to fit in the tablet and not get in the way.

No. The G. Lalo Verge de France paper is too thick for a guide sheet to show through. To many folks, myself included, this is a plus!

No. The G. Lalo Verge de France paper is too thick for a guide sheet to show through. To many folks, myself included, this is a plus!

I think that's the mindset I'd like to be in. I haven't used any guides with my letters so far, but I can see they aren't very straight by the end. My spacing also tends to be a bit on the uneven side. Imperfections are expected but until I get better at it, a guide sheet would probably help a lot with my handwriting. I just don't want to send a letter on lined sheets.

I think that's the mindset I'd like to be in. I haven't used any guides with my letters so far, but I can see they aren't very straight by the end. My spacing also tends to be a bit on the uneven side. Imperfections are expected but until I get better at it, a guide sheet would probably help a lot with my handwriting. I just don't want to send a letter on lined sheets.

I have made my own line guides to use on the G lalo paper. The lines have to be fairly thick and dark to be seen through. There is a link to a web site that lets you set up your own paper for guides but it escapes me at the moment. Maybe some one else can provide it.

BTW when it all comes down to it, the paper shouldn't be such a big issue. What is important is the constant use of the GKS font (or what ever your real name is) is used to remind her of her importance to you. You know, like using the scraps of paper on board a ship while you fight off sea pirates...... during a storm........ with flashing lightning and winds. Or that you have just stepped into a field of lavender that reminds you of her and all you have is a small notebook that you wrote your experience in a flash to remember that moment. Get the drift?

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

I have made my own line guides to use on the G lalo paper. The lines have to be fairly thick and dark to be seen through. There is a link to a web site that lets you set up your own paper for guides but it escapes me at the moment. Maybe some one else can provide it.

BTW when it all comes down to it, the paper shouldn't be such a big issue. What is important is the constant use of the GKS font (or what ever your real name is) is used to remind her of her importance to you. You know, like using the scraps of paper on board a ship while you fight off sea pirates...... during a storm........ with flashing lightning and winds. Or that you have just stepped into a field of lavender that reminds you of her and all you have is a small notebook that you wrote your experience in a flash to remember that moment. Get the drift?

hah. Yea paper isn't a huge deal. I'll worry more about it later. At least I now have several great ideas for paper to choose from if I decide to.

Thanks again all!

Creative inserts can add to the intrigue. Receiving an interesting leaf or flower [even faded or crumpled] from the letter writer brings the reader into that place. I have to concur with the paper scraps - a jotted note on the back of a theater program discussing the play and which bits the writer wished they could share. Even a packing slip from the warehouse at work describing the storm that swept through at break time, the ominous clouds, the play of light and shadow over the crates... Use your imagination so SHE uses her imagination and is there.

Not that anyone I know has ever seduced me with words :embarrassed_smile:

Creative inserts can add to the intrigue. Receiving an interesting leaf or flower [even faded or crumpled] from the letter writer brings the reader into that place. I have to concur with the paper scraps - a jotted note on the back of a theater program discussing the play and which bits the writer wished they could share. Even a packing slip from the warehouse at work describing the storm that swept through at break time, the ominous clouds, the play of light and shadow over the crates... Use your imagination so SHE uses her imagination and is there.

Not that anyone I know has ever seduced me with words :embarrassed_smile:

Hrm. Not bad ideas. I don't know if I'm that creative at this point though. I've literally written only a handful of letters in my lifetime. Ideas certainly help but who knows if I'll be able to pull them off in practice.

I've been trying to build up to the point where I can do the whole seduction with words thing. I don't know if we're quite there yet. Actually, as of this weekend I haven't heard from her for over three days, going on four in about four hours. Usually I get texts from her a couple times a day, facebook messages. Etc. Worst part? She's actually home and in town and I haven't heard a thing from her since the day before thanksgiving. Somehow, I think I've failed.

Nothing I can do I guess.

Edited by gks

I'm a bit saddened to read of your assessment (not hearing from her while home over the holidays). It brings back memories of some long-distance romances I had while in college (and that ultimately failed). As it's difficult to figure out what's going on in someone else's mind or life, I recommend you take the optimistic attitude that something else (such as family or friends) is occupying her time and attention. It's your job, through the writing and other forms of communication, to get that attention back to you.

I also resonated with Ghost Plane's comment about saving such written romantic words. I still have all the cards my wife sent me before we were married. A number of years ago my siblings and I cleaned out the house of an aunt that had passed away and we enjoyed browsing through a luggage trunk containing the love letters with her husband. Many of them were while he was overseas in Europe during World War 2 and it was a reminder of a time when that was essentially the main method of communication. I can remember as a kid in the 50's what a big deal and rare event a long distance telephone call was. In the 60's in college, it was still (mostly) true that the long distance romantic communications were carried on by letter (although I saved my change for a call from a pay phone every few weeks).

Thus, it will be hard to know the impact of your letters; the returning clues can be subtle. But I encourage you to memorize my absolute favorite quote of all time (from Gandhi):

It's the action, not the fruit of the action, that's important. You have to do the right thing. It may not be in your power, may not be in your time, that there'll be any fruit. But that doesn't mean you stop doing the right thing. You may never know what results come from your action. But if you do nothing, there will be no result.

I feel the key lines for your situation are the last two.

I'm a bit saddened to read of your assessment (not hearing from her while home over the holidays). It brings back memories of some long-distance romances I had while in college (and that ultimately failed). As it's difficult to figure out what's going on in someone else's mind or life, I recommend you take the optimistic attitude that something else (such as family or friends) is occupying her time and attention. It's your job, through the writing and other forms of communication, to get that attention back to you.

I also resonated with Ghost Plane's comment about saving such written romantic words. I still have all the cards my wife sent me before we were married. A number of years ago my siblings and I cleaned out the house of an aunt that had passed away and we enjoyed browsing through a luggage trunk containing the love letters with her husband. Many of them were while he was overseas in Europe during World War 2 and it was a reminder of a time when that was essentially the main method of communication. I can remember as a kid in the 50's what a big deal and rare event a long distance telephone call was. In the 60's in college, it was still (mostly) true that the long distance romantic communications were carried on by letter (although I saved my change for a call from a pay phone every few weeks).

Thus, it will be hard to know the impact of your letters; the returning clues can be subtle. But I encourage you to memorize my absolute favorite quote of all time (from Gandhi):

It's the action, not the fruit of the action, that's important. You have to do the right thing. It may not be in your power, may not be in your time, that there'll be any fruit. But that doesn't mean you stop doing the right thing. You may never know what results come from your action. But if you do nothing, there will be no result.

I feel the key lines for your situation are the last two.

Thanks. Even at my not quite so young age, but likely to still be considered young by many, I struggle deeply with relationships. I ended up hearing from her this afternoon via a quick Skype conversation. Apparently she's spending all the time she can with family while they're together. I can't fault her for that. It's just the number of times that silence has meant bad things in previous relationships that it's turned any silence into a moment of impending doom for me. I think she understood what I meant, being a psychology student probably means she knows more about how my mind works than most do. I guess the lesson I need to try to take away from all of it is simply to not panic.. as difficult as that can be sometimes. Particularly when you invest a lot of yourself into something, panic is second nature... A book I read, actually listened to, was about a beta male... instead of an alpha male. Seemed like the story was written about me in many ways and made me laugh more than I can remember ever laughing at a book.

Other than that, I get it. Of course, understanding something can be easy, doing it can be much more difficult. There has been zero indication that my letters will ever see a followup letter being sent in my direction. I didn't ask for one and have no expectations of receiving one. I suppose that if by some chance I do receive one I'll have a good idea that they made some impact. But, not receiving one (or any visible indication) shouldn't be reason to believe they weren't enjoyed or impactful for her.

Of all the advice in this thread, I think I appreciate the non-paper, writing utensil and other tool related suggestions the most. I appreciate the fact that many of you, while trying to remain on topic about paper clearly focused on the more important aspect of the post than the less important. Says a lot about the people that are members of this site. Thanks.

You could try out the paper sample packs from the Goulets - they have both G Lalo and Clairfontaine. You could ask them if their going to add Crown Mill to their line of paper sample packs.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, do you have a link to the sample packs you mentioned? I, too, am trying to find some nice stationery and would like to buy from Brian and Rachel but I can't seem to locate them on their otherwise excellent site.

Thanks,

Brian

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, do you have a link to the sample packs you mentioned? I, too, am trying to find some nice stationery and would like to buy from Brian and Rachel but I can't seem to locate them on their otherwise excellent site.

You can ask them directly - they frequent the FPN forums - but I think they stopped selling the sample packs.

You can ask them directly - they frequent the FPN forums - but I think they stopped selling the sample packs.

That would explain why I can't find it on their website!

Thanks

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, do you have a link to the sample packs you mentioned? That would explain why I can't find it on their website

Sorry Brian, I didn't realize they'd stopped offering them as I bought mine some time ago. Maybe if folks request them (directly) they bring them back.