Pelikan M250, Fine Nib

APHK

I had bought a Pelikan M215 with a bold nib quite a few months ago and never really appreciated the pen as I did not like the nib. Although it was smooth, the line characteristics of the nib did not really appeal to me and so the pen alternated between signing and highlighting duties.

Recently I had became more interested in nibs with some sort of flex and so had been considering buying a full or semi-flex M250 nib for the M215. At USD180 inclusive of shipping, I was hesitant to buy the nib despite the many positive reports of the nib.

I saw a classified for a NOS M250 with a fine nib described as semi-flex and so pounced on the chance to buy the whole pen at a fraction of the custom nib price.

The pen arrived in a very good condition - I think it was made in the early 1990s as the cap was engraved with Germany rather than W. Germany.

Appearance & Design (7/10)

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8859/img1632yn.jpg

This pen has the standard Pelikan design apart from size and trimming differences, most modern Pelikans look the same some people will say it is bland, but I do not mind; I already have two Pelikan M1000s and the M215 before receiving the M250 and so knew what to expect.

This M250 is black with a gold-apart clip and ring on the cap but no ring on the barrel. The top-hat above the clip-ring is the same size as the rest of the cap whilst that on the M215 and other modern Pelikans have some indents/steps.

Construction & Quality (8/10)

The pen feels solidly put together despite its compact size. The cap does not wiggle. The clip does not wiggle.

Weight & Dimensions (6/10)

The M250 is almost exactly the same dimensions as the M215. These are very small pens. I had initially disliked using the M215 due to the size. The space available for gripping the section is limited and so it is very easy to end up gripping the screw-threads which is quite irritating. However, I have since altered the way I hold most of my pens after learning to hold higher up the barrel and so the M215 ergonomics have become acceptable. Whilst I prefer holding big pens like the M1000, the M215/M250 still balances well enough.

The M2xx series pens are very light and can benefit from posting the cap to add some weight. The cap is not obtrusive at all when posted but I still prefer to write with my pens unposted.

Nib & Performance (8/10)

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/2369/img1653q.jpg

The nib is the sole reason I bought the M250 and so I had very high expectations of it. It is 14K gold rather than the steel of the M215.

The nib puts down a standard Pelikan fine width a tad narrower than the M1000 Fines due to the ease with which the latter flexes. Whilst I would describe the nib as smooth, there is some hint of tooth in the nib. This may be due to the age of the nib and so there might be some micro-corrosion. It would probably get better once the nib gets properly worn-in.

Under a 15x loupe, I did not spot any misalignment of the tines but did notice the tipping on one tine was slightly larger.

There is a distinct bounciness in the nib similar to the enormous nib on the M1000. The latter gets its bounciness from its length and thinness. The M250s nib is much shorter and so must derive the bounciness from some other nature.

Whilst the nib CAN flex, it is unfortunately not semi-flex. Under normal writing circumstances it flexes less than the M1000 F nib and even my Montegrappa Miyas F nib. I would not like to chance the nib by forcing it harder like I do with a Noodlers Flex.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/2516/img1655hs.jpg

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/8500/img1661l.jpg

Filling System & Maintenance (8/10)

This area is where Pelikan stands out. The piston is ultra-smooth. The nib can be easily unscrewed (although I have yet to).

On my M1000, the piston mechanism can also be unscrewed but I think the M2xx series cannot and so this makes it more difficult to service the pen. Had it been the same as the M1000, this pen would have got a full 10/10.

Cost & Value (8/10)

I bought the M215 for under USD95 from a local shop. This M250 has a premium of 50% over the cost of the M215. The premium being the 14K gold nib vs steel and also because the M250 is not produced any more.

Conclusion (45/60)

The Pelikan M2xx series pens are reliable and affordable pens. Despite not being as flexible as I wished, the nib on the M250 still provides a pleasant writing experience.

The steel B nib on my M215 does not flex either and is relatively stiff so I expect a steel F nib would be similar. The M250 nib units can be purchased from various sources and would be a great alternative to the steel nibs on the M215.

I am still considering whether to buy another ordinary M250 nib for my M215 or a semi/full flex modified nib from Binder/Mottishaw. Perhaps I should purchase a vintage 400.

Edited by APHK

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CountryDoc

• breaker

• APHK

• mirosc

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed this review, especially since I picked up my M250/f (used) from online auction. As I am far from being an expert at fountain pens, it was interesting to read very detailed descriptions of features that I only vaguely perceived. I still regret selling my M805 a few years ago, and am now struggling with whether to buy the M800 or jump up to the M1000.

I have a M250, too, and it has a nice flexy nib. It's not for classical flexing, though, because it lacks the responsiveness of a true flex pen. But it's great for occasional emphasizing and still gives some variation in ink flow by normal writing. I can get it to two times the width without stretching it too far.

Thank you for the review. Nice to see a good review about a pen I own.

Greetings,

Michael

• 2 years later...

I don't think a 250's nib is semi-flex...if '90's then it would be the normal semi-vintage 'true' regular flex....could be thought that by those knowing only the modern 400 semi-nail nib.

I have three '90's pens a 400, and two Celebries one in gold = the one in steel, that match that 400's nib...

For a long time in I'd not pressed my 400's nib...I'd had the 120=400 for nib. The two Celebry pens, which I pressed; at first seemed hard-semi-flex...but after pressing the 400's nib a bit more than I had before....they were all very good springy 'true' regular flex.

Semi-flex ((& 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex))... is pre'66 is standard shaped nibs.....out side the 1000 which is only springy to some...to others semi-flex. The one I tried in the shop was semi-flex...but remember it is 18 K that bends and stays bent rather than the safer '50's-60's 14 C nibs of some flex.

I don't have, nor know enough about after '66 spade nibs to know what flex rates they had.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.