Montblanc Blue-Black

Sandy1

For convenient viewing of the images, you may wish to scroll to the menu at the very bottom of this window, then change the FPN Theme to 'IP.Board Mobile'.

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Grey Scale below.

As the patches are neutral grey, that is what you should see.

Mac

Wintel PC

Grey Scale.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/INK576-1-2.jpg

~|~

Figure 1.

Swabs

Paper: HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Blue-Black%20-%20Cartridge/947e2bd0.jpg

Figure 2.

NIB-ism ✑

Paper: HPJ1124.

Depicts nibs' line-width and pens' relative wetness.

IMG-Thumb:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Blue-Black%20-%20Cartridge/th_a4a6d0ba.jpg

Pens: L → R: 440, PPP, Carene.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick

Ruling: 8mm.

Figure 3.

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Blue-Black%20-%20Cartridge/06ebdaf5.jpg

Figure 4.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Blue-Black%20-%20Cartridge/5073f78e.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: G Lalo, Verge de France, white.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Blue-Black%20-%20Cartridge/fe04807e.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: Royal - 25% rag.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Blue-Black%20-%20Cartridge/13670236.jpg

Figure 7.

Paper: Staples 20 lb

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Blue-Black%20-%20Cartridge/7a098424.jpg

Figure 8.

Grocery List

Paper: Pulp. One-a-Day calendar page.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Blue-Black%20-%20Cartridge/d5202b02.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Figure 9.

Smear/Dry Times.

Wet Tests. ☂

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Blue-Black%20-%20Cartridge/b1fcdc63.jpg

Nota Bene

This Review was generated primarily as a means to include an indexed entry for this ink in support of ad hoc comparison to other inks by the reader. Consequently, the reader is spared repetition of most of my commentary, and so may proceed with lowered risk exposure to being rendered comatose.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type:

• Fountain pen ink with ferro-gallic (iron-gall) content.

Presentation:

• Fifty ml bottle.

Availability:

• Discontinued.

Daily writer:

• In bygone days.

A go-to ink?

• Tricky - it is discontinued.

USE

• In terms of appearance, IMHO this ink could be used anywhere that the Montblanc Midnight Blue ink would be used. Some report that Midnight Blue is more Blue; I would not argue the toss.

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• Low.
  • A dry ink.

Nib Dry-out:

• Not seen.
  • Nib tips may become dry, but not the ink in the feed.

Start-up:

• Immediate.
  • No virga was evident.

Lubrication:

• Adequate, but certainly not luxurious.

Nib Creepies:

• None.

Staining:

• Not seen after three days.

Clogging:

• Not seen.

Bleed- Show-Through:

• Not seen on papers used. :thumbup:

Feathering / Woolly Line:

• Not seen on papers used.

Smell:

• Insignificant.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Not seen.

Clean Up:

• Prompt and thorough with plain water.
  • Due to the i-g content, this is considered as a 'higher maintenance' ink. After years of use in many pens with my normal pen hygiene, no adverse effects were detected.

Mixing:

• No stated prohibitions.
  • However, as this is not a 'common' dye-based ink, attention to precautions is strongly advised.
  • Do not mix with any of the Sailor / Platinum nano particle inks! ☣

Archival:

• Claimed.

Smear/Dry Time & Water Resistance:

• As shown in Figure 9 above.

Typical of iron-gall inks, pens used with MBBlBk require higher maintenance than simple dye-based inks. Consequently, one should bring their 'A' game to the clean up regimen, including internals of caps & barrels. Due to tedium involved in achieving an immaculate state of cleanliness, one might consider using an ammonia+detergent cleaning aid and/or think twice about using i-g inks in pens that are inherently slow to cleanse and/or require a goodly number of fill-empty cycles to come clean. e.g. Vacumatics, Snorkels.

Opinions vary considerably as to the time between cleanings when using an i-g ink. Consideration should be given to the pen design and materials, and its usage (intermittent to constant) during that time. I am not one to let any ink linger unused in a pen. YMMV.

More posts about suitable pens & nibs: LINK http://www.fountainp...pigmented-inks/

THE LOOK

Saturation:

• About as much as is possible, yet still have shading.

Shading:

• High, yet subtle.

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • A bit less than expected.

[*]Papers used:

• More than expected.

[*]Malleability:

• Quite high.
    • Useful.
    • The wily practitioner would choose their paper first, then match the writer to the ink+paper.

Hi-Res Scans:

Originals are 60 x 30mm.

As I do not wish to be known as 'Queen of The Bandwidth Bandits', these are IMG-Thumbs:

440+F on HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Blue-Black%20-%20Cartridge/th_aeef435d.jpg

PPP on Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Blue-Black%20-%20Cartridge/th_f8d1e542.jpg

Carene on G Lalo.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Blue-Black%20-%20Cartridge/th_0924fa6b.jpg

PPP on Royal.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Blue-Black%20-%20Cartridge/th_00339e37.jpg

FIDELITY

• Indeterminate: No MB swatch available.
  • Close enough for yours truly.

SIMILAR COLOURS :P

PAPERS

• Very much a matter of personal taste.
  • Ran well on all papers used.

ETC.

Majik:

• Routine marvels.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• All.

Yickity Yackity:

• Onward to the MB Midnight Blue!
  • Ah kushbaby, surely the passing of this ink no longer keeps you awake through the night?

======

NUTS & BOLTS:

Pens:

• Sheaffer 440 + steel F nib.
  • Platinum President Purist + 22K B nib. *swoon*
  • Waterman Carene + 18K factory stub nib.

______

Papers:

• HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.
  • Rhodia.
  • G Lalo, Verge de France, white.
  • Royal, 25% cotton rag.
  • Staples 20 lb.
  • Pulp. One-a-Day Calendar page.

______

• Scans were made on an Epson V600 scanner; factory defaults were accepted.
  • Figures shown were scanned at 200 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • HiRes Images linked were scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Scans were not adjusted post-capture, so went straight to Photobouquet.

______

Densitometer Readings:

On HPJ1124

• Red 119
  • Grn 126
  • Blu 161
  • Lum 131

______

Fine Print:

The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of matériel used.

Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.

As always, YMMV, not only from materials, methods, environment, etc., but also due to differences between the stuff I used, and stuff you may have.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

Tags: Fountain Pen Ink Review Montblanc Blue-Black Blue Black Bottle Sandy1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• wastelanded

• Kabe

• fenriz

Yickity Yackity:

- Onward to the MB Midnight Blue!

- Ah kushbaby, surely the passing of this ink no longer keeps you awake through the night?

I completely and totally adore this ink. But Midnight Blue is close enough for me (I doubt I could tell the difference even if I tested myself with blinded samples). :blink:

I've got my Visconti Wallstreet LE filled with it on my desk in front of me right now - usually have at least 3 or 4 pens with this ink. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! :clap1:

Edited by kushbaby

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

Slow down, Sandy1...does your shopping list indicate that you need to buy twelve pounds of hotdogs??

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Yickity Yackity:

- Onward to the MB Midnight Blue!

- Ah kushbaby, surely the passing of this ink no longer keeps you awake through the night?

I completely and totally adore this ink. But Midnight Blue is close enough for me (I doubt I could tell the difference even if I tested myself with blinded samples). :blink:

I've got my Visconti Wallstreet LE filled with it on my desk in front of me right now - usually have at least 3 or 4 pens with this ink. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! :clap1:

Hi,

Oh yes indeed, this ink is my favourite! And has been since I first tried it - I think I actually blushed! :wub:

Bye,

S1

Slow down, Sandy1...does your shopping list indicate that you need to buy twelve pounds of hotdogs??

Hi,

Twelve feet.

That oddly expressed amount was determined by the dimensions of the six loaf tins I received from Margie, but I wasn't sure of the 'per sausage' length/s of the Kosher sausages I'd find in the market.

Bye,

S1

@Sandy1

I just got my Blue-Black ESS registrars today. I'm curious if you see a big distinction between MB blue-black, ESS blue-black and Diamine Registrars.

Messmer

@Sandy1

I just got my Blue-Black ESS registrars today. I'm curious if you see a big distinction between MB blue-black, ESS blue-black and Diamine Registrars.

Hi,

It is early days for the ESSRI so I am reluctant to give a comparison to the MBBlBk which I have used for years. My lack of experience is also compounded by the time it takes for the appearance of ESSRI to become stable.

Even though I could easily scan samples of each ink showing the same pen+paper, that would really not give the full picture. Indeed, through manipulation of you browser windows, scans of the two inks can be viewed next to each other; and much the same template was used for the physical performance performance profile, so those can be read across points.

That said, it appears that the biggest distinction is that ESSRI is more sensitive to the [chemical] make-up of the papers, and the wetness of the writers. I previously produced simple comparisons, but I do not think that approach would be so valid for ESSRI; and the inclusion of paper chemistry in a comparison may not be so relevant/applicable to most. However, I will add the task of producing a simple comparison of ESSRI to MBBlBk (and MBMBl) to my To Do list, but that will be as time and tides allow.

I do not use DRI, so perhaps someone with experience with DRI and ESSRI will compare those inks.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

I have and love this ink. Sadly, I may have to find a pen that agrees with it.

Within a working day, I have no problems with Midnight. However, it seems to dry in my nibs overnight and requires some coaxing in order to start in the morning. I've used it in four daily writers and the result was the same for each pen.

A hooded nib perhaps?

Within a working day, I have no problems with Midnight. However, it seems to dry in my nibs overnight and requires some coaxing in order to start in the morning. I've used it in four daily writers and the result was the same for each pen.

A hooded nib perhaps?

I use MB Midnight Blue in my Parker 100 fine point. No problems with drying overnight. It's a great pairing, IMHO......love the ink, love the pen and they work well together. Good luck!

A hooded nib perhaps?

Hi,

That is an interesting observation, and shows a difference in our personal nuances of FP use: The first time I use a pen on a given day, I almost always doodle for a moment on some scrap paper to draw fresh ink to the nib tip. Even with my daily writer, which is ready to go even after days without use, I perform that little task as if on autopilot. Also, with my daily writer, I fill the pen at the end of the work day, so there may be some excess ink to be run out.

I have noticed some instances of a pen inked with MBBlBk in need of a 'wake up call' in the morning, and it does seem to depend on the pen. In my Review of the ESS Registrars Ink, I suggested use of a hooded nib pen if nib tip dry out was encountered. (Since clarified to think twice before using a 51 Vacumatic model.) I really cannot guarantee that will overcome every instance.

Personally, I'd use my pen of choice, and take the moment to rouse it. But, as this is FPN, one needs no excuse or reason or whim to acquire another pen! So allow me enable your next pen purchase . . . :happyberet:

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Did you ever tested the Sailor Blue-Black.

I would like to see a test from you!

Thanks for that post!

"Ignorance of all things is an evil neither terrible nor excessive, nor yet the greatest of all; but great cleverness and much learning, if they be accompanied by a bad training, are a much greater misfortune."

Plato (Greek philosopher 428-348 B.C.)

I think it really just depends on the nib. I quite like MB Blue-black. It has dried out overnight in about half of the pens I've tried it in. It starts right up after a bit of coaxing, but writes reliably once it gets started. Some pens don't require that extra bit of doodling, though. It works especially well in my broad-nibbed Lamy 2000, which is my dedicated iron-gall ink pen.

Thanks for that post!

Hi,

Yes, I have used the Sailor Jentle Blue-Black, and their nano particle sei-boku. Both are very good robust inks that have quite different character. And yes, both are on my To Do list, but rather far down that list I'm afraid.

Bye,

S1

I think it really just depends on the nib. I quite like MB Blue-black. It has dried out overnight in about half of the pens I've tried it in. It starts right up after a bit of coaxing, but writes reliably once it gets started. Some pens don't require that extra bit of doodling, though. It works especially well in my broad-nibbed Lamy 2000, which is my dedicated iron-gall ink pen.

Hi,

Thanks for identifying a specific pen that avoids overnight nib dry-out, even though it is not a fully hooded nib. :thumbup:

That leads me to consider the Parker 45: semi-hooded nib, can be taken to bits without tools for cleaning, and NOS nibs in various grades and materials are available at modest cost. I'll give it a go, then post my findings in a few days.

Bye,

S1

Thanks for that post!

Hi,

Yes, I have used the Sailor Jentle Blue-Black, and their nano particle sei-boku. Both are very good robust inks that have quite different character. And yes, both are on my To Do list, but rather far down that list I'm afraid.

Bye,

S1

Hello

I use both of these inks on a daily basis and they are outstanding in term of color, flow, and waterproof. I bit on the expensive side but I figure that if I can buy a $400 pen it deserve the best ink around. Ho I forgot they also clean very easy and I have yet to have a clogged pen like some other brand. Plus you can find these inks bottles and cartridge NOW that is a bonus.

Have a great day!

Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known." ~ Winnie the Pooh

Hi all,

As fortune would have it, there is a concurrent thread regarding thorough cleansing of the Parker 51 Vacumatic:

http://www.fountainp...ost__p__2163057

So those who want to use a 51 or other Vacumatic can expedite cleaning before and after use of an i-g ink.

Enabling or what?

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Hi,

That is an interesting observation, and shows a difference in our personal nuances of FP use: The first time I use a pen on a given day, I almost always doodle for a moment on some scrap paper to draw fresh ink to the nib tip. Even with my daily writer, which is ready to go even after days without use, I perform that little task as if on autopilot. Also, with my daily writer, I fill the pen at the end of the work day, so there may be some excess ink to be run out.

Bye,

S1[/font]

Hi S1!

MB Midnight did teach me to doodle in order to wake the nib from slumber. Depending on the pen, I may even have to dip the nib in water to get it out of bed.

I haven't given up on it yet though. Curiously, Lamy Blue Black seems to resist drying up a little bit longer. I still prefer the color of MB by a wide margin.

Karlo

Edited by KarloT

• 1 month later...

This may be a dumb question, but can we still get this ink? And I don't mean a new version, but the good old MB Blue Black? The iron gall ink? This may be my fave all around ink, and I've never had it dry in a pen, even if the pen sat for a few days in the case. It was especially good in my L2K and MB 146, but I experimented with it in other pens too. It shades, it's permanent, flows evenly and well, has a sophisticated and subtle color... just a great ink. During my last move the bottle was dropped and I lost it all! Can I still procure this stuff?

Edited by fenriz