Diamine Syrah

saskia_madding

There are a few colours that I just keep buying over and over, and burgundy is one of them. I have a lot of dark red inks, but this one is because among my favourites (although I doubt anything will ever unseat MB SG 2007!).

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Diamine/DSC09420.jpg

I love the shading this has on CF & Rhodia paper. Subtle, but gorgeous.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Diamine/DSC09423.jpg
Dry time is about 15 seconds on absorbent papers, there is no feathering and only light shadowing.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Diamine/DSC09424.jpg

As always, more pictures here.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• saskia_madding

• bunnybaby

• fabrimedeiros

• Bhavna

This was one of the first Diamine inks I got as my wife said she thought it was right for her. We've not opened the bottle yet so this good review should change all that!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

It is one of the most gorgeous burgundy or deep wines out there.

Most definitely!!! It is my new favorite in this color genre.

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

sweet! thank you!

Syrah is on my list for buying for a long time now (but I still have too many other bottles...)

Really? That has never stopped me from buying more. What's your secret????

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.

I have two burgundies, this and MB Bordeaux. I prefer the colour of Syrah but the behaviour of the other. Not that there's anything wrong with the behaviour of Syrah but I find that MB and Pelikan inks behave better than Diamine in my cheap notepads and journal.

John

• 4 months later...

Wow! I really enjoy reading your review. Coincidentally I'm looking for a deep red (an ink color I never even considered buying before) and this review kinda seals the deal for me.

One thing that makes me a bit undecided, though, is the slight purplish undertone in this ink as pointed out by another reviewer (raging.dragon, I think). Is it apparent, as compared with Oxblood, for example?

Thanks much for the fantastic review, anyway :-)

Edited by bunnybaby

Beautiful colour!

I am so glad I bought this ink at Nordic Pen Import's sale. It is on its way now.

Wow! I really enjoy reading your review. Coincidentally I'm looking for a deep red (an ink color I never even considered buying before) and this review kinda seals the deal for me.

One thing that makes me a bit undecided, though, is the slight purplish undertone in this ink as pointed out by another reviewer (raging.dragon, I think). Is it apparent, as compared with Oxblood, for example?

Thanks much for the fantastic review, anyway :-)

I have both Syrah and Oxblood. Yes, Syrah has a slight, distinguishable purple tone to it. From a distance, they'll look similar, but up close, Oxblood will be more of a true red.

That is nice ink, thanks for the review! What pen did you use?

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

:thumbup:Thank you for the review, that is indeed a stunning red, reminiscent of (ahem) WHS's Messenger Bordeaux about 15+ years ago - what I would class as a royal/ Tudoresque (don't stone me here!) burgundy, majestic, vibrant and exquisite. I hve been looking for it/ similar ever since. It is through FPN that I heard of Diamin (having discounted it about 5 years ago..:headsmack: :headsmack: I am currently exploring some reds to add to my small (yet growing..!) Diamine collection. I am want to try Monaco Red and I need/ want a deep burgundy, is my quest soon to be over?! :eureka:

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

• 2 weeks later...

OMG! I LOVE THIS INK :bunny01:

Thank you so ever much, Saskia_madding. It's your review (and Lapis's, too) that makes me buy this ink. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Love the color, but my Syrah skips more than any ink I've ever had. I know skipping is an issue more related to nibs than inks, but it happens, even with no skipping nibs. I don't know why, probably a defective batch?!

My Syrah flows perfectly but if your nib is on the dry side, it may be that Syrah is not the ink for that specific nib. If there are no obvious contaminants in your ink (floaters or strings) then I would still point a finger at the nib first.

• 1 year later...

Thanks to your comprehensive review, I'm doing a back-to-back comparison between Sailor's Jentle Grenade & Diamine's Syrah (both samples).

Till now I have not found a burgundy red that I'd like to use on a regular basis.

Syrah may be just what I've been looking for in a "dark claret" ink.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)