Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher

Ruminator

I'll add my voice to the others. I recently ordered a sample of Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher from the good folks at Goulet Pens. My newly refurbished Parker 51 Aerometric Demi cried for a drink, so I obliged it with the sample and have been using the pen most of the day. I was bored tonight, so I decided to write up my impressions and post them for others to enjoy. I know I enjoy reading about inks (and other penly things).

So, here is my first ink review. I noticed that I can't seem to write square to the paper tonight. Hmmm... I haven't even had any Old No. 7. :crybaby:

post-72114-0-22904400-1320207026.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruminator

• RoriRants

• zenrabbit

• JLT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the nice review. I also have a sample of Bad Belted Kingfisher waiting to be tried out (as well as Bad Blue Heron). I have not yet found a dark blue that I really like. I have a bottle of PR Midnight Blues that I rarely use because it is slow to dry and seems very smear-prone. I tend to like medium blues such as J Herbin Eclat de Saphir, Bleu Myosotis, and Diamine Presidential Blue. I am working my way through a sample of Iroshizuku Syo-ro (which I really like, but it is a teal-grey) and then I shall move on to these two Noodler's Bad Boys. Your review has whetted my appetite!

The secret of zen is just two words, not always so.

Shunryu Suzuki

This is one of my favorites. With regard to permanence, some of the dye will wash off with water but what remains will be perfectly legible. The blue will wash away but a tight line of black will cling to the paper forever. I've heard some describe this ink as 'tamper-evident' - a fitting description.

JLT (J. L. Trasancos, Barneveld, NY)

"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."

Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962)

My bottle says it's a Warden ink and Bulletproof. Nice review. I'm very happy with it and love the color.

Thanks for the reminder that I have not had BBK in rotation for a while. It really is a rich and interesting blue with understated elegance (like its namesake).

It looks a great ink. I've just opened a bottle of the Blue-Black which is wonderful - my elusive blue 'version' of the 'green' Zhivago!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

It's a great ink, nice and wet. Very professional looking ink as it's dark, but with a nice hue of blue. I've primarily noticed that this ink may feather quite a bit because of how well it flows.

I've tried to use it in the noodler's flex pen and some other vintage flex and it's not the type of ink that you'd want to put in them. Also, with the saturation it doesn't give much shading. I'd pair this ink with pens that write a bit on the dry side (lamy).

It looks a great ink. I've just opened a bottle of the Blue-Black which is wonderful - my elusive blue 'version' of the 'green' Zhivago!

Zhivago is another of my favorite colors. I keep it in an Estie J model with a 9556 nib that I restored. That's my carry pen and a daily writer.

I haven't put Zhivago in any of my Parkers (yet), but think it could be a great ink in a fine or fine-medium nib in a Parker.

I wonder how this ink compares to Noodler's Texas Bluebonnet. Looks pretty similar.

I have a sample of Bluebonnet (hat tip to tonybelding). I haven't done a side-by-side comparison, but I could. I think there is enough left in my sample to write up a review. I might just have to do that before the BBK runs out so I can compare.

I like the Bluebonnet too. It's another good blue.

So many inks, so few pens. :)

My usual blue! I worked outside most of the summer with it. It is perfectly readable after a good shower of rain.

Messmer

Count me in as a member of the Bad Belted Kingfisher fan club. I can't help but see the bird itself when I use this ink, though there are no feathers/ing ;)

Tamara

I just got samples of both Bad Blue Heron and Bad Belted Kingfisher myself from Goulet. Took me like 15 blue samples to find the PERFECT blue. I loveses them both :cloud9: and can't wait to buy bottles! Also really love Navy, especially in my Pilot Plumix. :thumbup:

Thank you for your review and thoughts! :clap1: Would love to see the Bluebonnet next to the Kingfisher

I just got samples of both Bad Blue Heron and Bad Belted Kingfisher myself from Goulet.

I'd love to see BBH and BBK side-by-side too. :)

I just finished a review of Texas Blue Bonnet and I will post momentarily. It's also a good blue, but not my (current) favorite.

I just got samples of both Bad Blue Heron and Bad Belted Kingfisher myself from Goulet.

I'd love to see BBH and BBK side-by-side too. :)

I just finished a review of Texas Blue Bonnet and I will post momentarily. It's also a good blue, but not my (current) favorite.

Oh yeah, I can totally do that! Don't have a scanner tho, will have to take a picture.

I can do that too, provide side-by-sides of my Bad Blue Heron & Bad Belted Kingfisher inks using the same pen & nib.

I'm seeing it's already going on midnight here, bed soon, so it will have to wait 'til tomorrow for me to write & provide a scan.

I'd still like to see pics of your comparisons, RoriRants, so please do post them when you get the chance?

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009