Sleeve / Thumb Filling Pen Chronology

sztainbok

I don't know if this subject has been or is being addressed elswhere in the site.

My interest is to attempt to establish the chronology and development of pens that use the so called sleeve or thumb filling mechanism.

If we define a sleeve filling pen as one that is filled by pressing directly on the pressure bar with a finger, where access to the pressure bar is protected by a movable or removable sleeve or some other cover, so far I could clasify them in the following categories:

Rotating sleeve pens, such as Century and Aikin Lambert pens. The sleeve has a cut-away and by rotating it it exposes the pressure bar.

Sliding sleeve, such as the John Holland design. The sleeve slides along the barrel to expose the pressure bar.

Split barrel, such as the Laughlin design. The barrel is split and part of it extends out to expose the pressure bar. Also used by LeBoeuf.

Full barrel slide, such as the latter LeBoeuf pens, the whole barrel slides out at the secion joint.

Full barrel removal, such as the Parker 51 Aerometric, the whole barrel is removed to access the pressure bar.

Jonathan Steinberg in his book Fountain Pens page 31, states that the sleeve filling system was probably initially developed by Century or Aikin Lambert.

I found the following patents in a search that very likely is not complete:

No. 799897, W.I. Ferris, assigned to L. E. Waterman, application May 24, 1905, pattented Sep. 19,1905

This patent is for a rotating sleeve filling system

No. 800129, Robert Gorham, application Jan. 18, 1905, pattented Sep. 19, 1905

It seems to me that this patent is for a split barrel pen, with no retention means for the part of the barrel that slides out.

No. 821940, John Holland, application Feb. 17, 1906, pattented May 29, 1906

This patent is for a sliding sleeve mechanism.

No. 828973, W. W. Sanford, application Oct. 10, 1906, pattented Aug. 21, 1906

This patent is for a rotating sleeve system.

No. 1038068 G. F. Barret, application Feb. 16, 1912, pattented Sep. 10, 1912

Thes patent is for a rotating sleeve pen.

No. 1042695, J. W. Laughlin, application Apr. 20, 1912, pattented Oct. 29, 1912.

This patent is for a split barrel pen.

Looking at Plewa's Klips, we could say that Leboef started making the sleeve filler with full barrel slide, in 1932 and Parker started using the Aerometric system on the 51 in 1948.

I don't know if some of the early patents above were used by Akin Lambert or Century.

I would appreciate if those interested in this subject would contribute by commenting on the definition and categories I am proposing, and contributing to determine who made the first pen in each category. Also adding some pictures if available. I own a Leboeuf and a Prker 51 that I will upload shortly.

Edited by sztainbok

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sztainbok

• simp

• DanDeM

• Penprophet

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting pursuit.

I have a Wirt Ring Top with a rotating sleeve that exposes the JBar. A Matchstick fill. Probably 1910ish.

Also an Edison with an exposed JBar, a coin fill. Probably later, say 1915 or so.

Both are BCHR and neither have a patent imprint.

Also a Holland that may be out the scope of your effort since the bar is not exposed, but nonetheless quirky. In a 1910 catalog he calls the filling system "Self-Filling" and on another page "Self-Inking", offering the following illustrated instructions.

The flat button B on the outside of the barrel is attached to a ring going around the filler R (i.e. Sac) A metal bar is attached to the opposite side. When the button is lifted the sack is compressed; place the pen in ink, release the button and the pen is filled.

No pics right now, but if these are of interest, will post some in the next few days.

Edited by Blotto

Thanks for your interest. I am posting the picture of a Parker 51 and a Leboeuf. If it is not too much trouble, it would be interesting if you post your pens.

Thank you,

Victor.

Victor:

Here's the Holland. Wirt and Edison to follow.

Filling accomplished by lifting the button that is midway between the bands.

post-35057-0-51896200-1320086773.jpg

This is the imprint. The fill button is just above it.

post-35057-0-64437700-1320087039.jpg

Dan

Edited by Blotto

Waterman 412 Sleeve Filler, using a later patent by Ferris, pat #950817. Filed in Aug 23, 1909, issued Mar 1, 1910.

Not sure when these went into production. Pen companies often used new tech while the patent was pending. Advertisements for this can be found by 1911 at least. The only ones that I've seen have been slip cap versions.

post-4689-0-98448900-1320099660.jpg

Edited by Jeff L

Unfortunately I don't have any sleeve filler pen photos excepted a Parker 51 and a Le Bouef that you already have. But I have two other patents, and the first one is earlier than those you listed:

781649, February 1905, Robert A. Hamilton, half to John P. Lein

1804522, December 1931, Walsh, Frank T., Assignee: LEBOEUF FOUNTAIN PEN CO INC

Simone

Fountain Pen Wiki - www.FountainPen.it

Fountain pen Chronology (need help to improve...)

Old advertisement (needing new ones to enlarge the gallery...)

Looking at Plewa's Klips, we could say that Leboef started making the sleeve filler with full barrel slide, in 1932 and Parker started using the Aerometric system on the 51 in 1948.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is this Plewa's Klips that consent to date Leboeuf sleeve filler?

Regards

Simone

Fountain Pen Wiki - www.FountainPen.it

Fountain pen Chronology (need help to improve...)

Old advertisement (needing new ones to enlarge the gallery...)

If we want to keep this thread on topic, we should not confuse the issue with matchstick fillers, coin-fillers, or saddle-fillers. Let's stick to true thumb-fillers, where the pressure bar is exposed and directly pressed by a finger to collapse the sac.

"Plewa's Klips" was an illustrated feature that ran for years in Pen World magazine. It was a single-page capsule history, with each installment focusing on a single model, brand, or feature. As a source, however, it should not be relied upon uncritically, since dates were taken from what was thought correct at the time -- which in most cases is now over 20 years ago.

Edited by Vintagepens

Jonathan Steinberg in his book Fountain Pens page 31, states that the sleeve filling system was probably initially developed by Century or Aikin Lambert.

I found the following patents in a search that very likely is not complete:

One patent that is absent from your list is Frank Mooney's No. 879,296, Feb. 18, 1908. This was the mechanism/patent for the thumb fillers offered by Century. Century, however, didn't develop this mechanism, but purchased its parts from CE Barrett (who acquired the patent from Mooney).

Dave

• 1 month later...

I have one (that I can think of right now) that I believe can be attributed to Sanford & Bennett. I originally thought it was an Aikin Lambert, but now know this is not the case as the mechanism is different (so those poking around at the name of the image will note I have called it an Aikin):

http://www.esterbrook.net/collection/alcosleeve.jpg

http://www.esterbrook.net/collection/alcosleeveo.jpg

http://www.esterbrook.net/collection/alcosleeveopen.jpg

Cheers!

Brian

Edited by Brian Anderson
www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

• 1 month later...

If we want to keep this thread on topic, we should not confuse the issue with matchstick fillers, coin-fillers, or saddle-fillers. Let's stick to true thumb-fillers, where the pressure bar is exposed and directly pressed by a finger to collapse the sac.

"Plewa's Klips" was an illustrated feature that ran for years in Pen World magazine. It was a single-page capsule history, with each installment focusing on a single model, brand, or feature. As a source, however, it should not be relied upon uncritically, since dates were taken from what was thought correct at the time -- which in most cases is now over 20 years ago.

Thanks David for keeping us on track. As you say we should stick to pens that are filled by pressing with a finger a pressure bar that acts on the sack. The pressure bar can be covered by some means by a sleeve or the barrel, which would include a Parker 51 or LeBoeuf.

Victor.

The Hicks currently listed on ebay (320826591091) has a patent date of (possibly July) 1905 on the cap, if that helps with your records any

The Hicks currently listed on ebay (320826591091) has a patent date of (possibly July) 1905 on the cap, if that helps with your records any

Thanks for the information. The pen looks very nice. It's a split barrel red mottled hard rubber model. I searched Google Patents and could not find the patenet. Perhaps someone can help finding it.

Patent number: 794836

Filed: Apr 1, 1905

Issued: Jul 18, 1905

By Thomas P Ambrose. Not assigned to anyone in particular.

This patent is a development on another sleeve filler patent, 784528 from Mar 14, 1905.

This patent is a development on another sleeve filler patent, 784528 from Mar 14, 1905.

Thank you Jeff

Jeff,

I looked at those two patents, How do we know that they were used for the Hicks pen?

Also, after reading the patents, it seems to me that there is no pressure bar and we would be pressing with the thumb directly on the rubber sac in order to fill it. Did I miss something?

Yes, neither the pictures for the auction nor the drawings and description in the patent show a pressure bar.

As for connecting this particular patent with the Hicks, absent a specific assignment, it's a best guess. The imprint indicates 1905 and a perusal of patents from that year throws this one up.

There are others from that year aside from the two you've already listed.

Patent number: 781649

Filed: May 20, 1904

Issued: Feb 7, 1905

Robert A Hamilton

This one has a pressure bar.

Patent number: 807500

Filed: May 9, 1905

Issued: Dec 19, 1905

William W Sanford

This may be the Sanford and Bennett that Brian mentioned above.

Thank you Jeff, I will wait a few more weeks and then I will try to put together a summary of the infomation received and see if we can make sense of it.

Jeff,

I looked at those two patents, How do we know that they were used for the Hicks pen?

Also, after reading the patents, it seems to me that there is no pressure bar and we would be pressing with the thumb directly on the rubber sac in order to fill it. Did I miss something?

The Hick's ink sac was very definitely petrified, so I would imagine that if there was a pressure bar intended it would have been in situ. I can say for certain that was not the case.

I have attempted to summarize the information that was supplied through this thread. Please see the attached table.

I was unable to find the patents for the Parker 51 Aerometric filling system or the Leboeuf full barrel sliding model.

I am interested on knowing if R. A. Hamilton's patent 781649 and W. I. Ferris' patent 799897 were ever produced.

I would appreciate your help in correcting and expanding the information on the chart.

Victor.