Hero M616

celesul

Hi! This is my first review. I've been using this pen for over a week now I think? I'm not sure. I've been using it a lot in class. I do quite like it. Partly because I don't know if everyone can read my handwriting and partly because links to photos sometimes eventually die, I'm going to type up my review as well as linking to the handwritten one. They should have the same info, with maybe a bit added to the typed?

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q107/celesul/Pens/IMG_1088.jpg

First Impressions:

The packaging was fairly plain, but the pen looked nice enough. I don't really remember it well...

Appearance & Design:

I like the way it looks. It is very clearly an imitation of a 51. It is a very discrete pen, which is nice when I'm just trying to take notes in class (if I use a non-hooded nib, I get asked why I'm using a calligraphy pen).

Construction & Quality:

On one hand, this is clearly a durable pen designed to take some abuse. On the other hand, not everything was aligned properly when it was being built. The cap in particular looks a bit off. Also, for those who care, the clip is not nice to use. The cap also never clicks, it just kind of slides until it cannot anymore. On the other hand, it posts well and I've not had trouble with the nib drying out.

Weight & Dimensions:

I don't know the exact numbers, but the size and shape are perfect for me, in terms of comfort. It is comfortable both posted and not.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q107/celesul/Pens/IMG_1089.jpg

Nib & Performance:

I really like the way this writes. It gives me a nice fine line, and it isn't scratchy. It doesn't flex (duh), but it is less of a nail than some of my other pens. It starts consistently and just doesn't give me any trouble.

Filling System & Maintenance:

This uses a squeeze converter. I hadn't liked the other squeeze converters I've used, but this one actually easily fills with a lot of ink.

Cost & Value:

This pen was $5 from isellpens. After hearing about fakes, I wanted to make sure I would get a real one. This pen can easily be found for more or less. Regardless, it is an amazing pen for the price.

Conclusion:

I bought this pen because I wanted a good note taking pen. This is exactly what I got. This pen is not gorgeous or dreamy, but it is solid, writes well, and is pleasant to use. It's perfect for note taking, and can be replaced cheaply and easily. This all makes it ideal as a school pen. Out of my small, cheap collection of pens, if I could keep only one, this would be it.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q107/celesul/Pens/IMG_1093.jpg

The cap jewel is a bit off.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q107/celesul/Pens/IMG_1090.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q107/celesul/Pens/IMG_1091.jpg

Also, I apologize for the shadows of my hands in my photos. I may try to replace them with better photos at a later date.

Edit: I used Noodlers Black in this pen, on random cheap lined paper. The review fits rather perfectly on the paper largely because I'm running low, and didn't want to use any more.

Edited by celesul

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• celesul

• Scribblesoften

• Uncle Red

• sajiskumar

Very nice review. Great handwriting, too. I've been playing with a 616 this weekend. The feed is a bit weird though. Er, the collector I mean. The fins aren't really fins - they're just sort of - ribs.

My nice and reliable school pen, used extensively. Handwriting is great.

Pilot Vanishing Point Royal Red

Sailor Professional Gear - Sailor Jentle Grenade

Kaweco AC Sport Red Limited Edition - Kaweco Red

Sheaffer Prelude Chrome - Private Reserve Sherwood Green

TWSBI Diamond 540 - Sheaffer Purple

Sheaffer 300 - Private Reserve Orange Crush

Your handwriting puts mine to shame! Thanks for your review. I have a 3 pack of 616 jumbos that I'm more than happy with too.

On the other hand, not everything was aligned properly when it was being built. The cap in particular looks a bit off. Also, for those who care, the clip is not nice to use. The cap also never clicks, it just kind of slides until it cannot anymore

If you have 10 minutes to spare, you can make the cap click into position between the clutch rings properly by fettling the inner cap. Afterwards, you can hold the cap jewel in a more central position while you reassemble the cap.

If you're using the pen for a lot of note taking, I recommend cleaning out the sparse silicon grease sealing the section, and using shellac or section sealant instead.

The eBay seller Yespen includes a handy guide to spotting counterfeit 616s with his listings, and sells genuine ones.

Edited by Flounder

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Love your handwriting. I'm a big fan of cheerful 'n' cheap fountain pens, and I always have at least one 616 inked---this week, two.

Thanks also for the link on how to spot fakes!

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I also like your handwriting. It has a lot of character.

I have real 616s and some fake ones, and the real ones are definitely better. Flow is better, fit and finish are better, particularly with regard to the cap, and I think they fill more completely. It's worth the trouble to get a real one.

Hard to beat the 616 for the money. They are my pen to carry when I don't want to worry, etc.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

If you purchased your pen from isellpens it is definitely a real one. I have one as well. I had it at work today and lent it to a co-worker for a moment (I thought). The loan time kept extending into the afternoon. Finally, I got it back. The 616 is a surprisingly good pen for the price. Mine needed a little tuning but at this price point I will not complain. Your handwriting would make any pen look good. Enjoy your pen.

I bought three pack Hero 616 Jumbo ( Doctor) from Yespen last month. All are writing very good.

Your handwriting is very impressive.

Your handwriting is excellent. I have one of my 616Jumbos on my desk at work with me right now loaded with Caran d'Ache Grand Canyon. I gave one each to my niece, nephew and little brother. My little broke his but the others are fine. One nice thing about a Hero is that it will fill from a Goulet sample vial almost to the bottom.

Superb handwriting!

+1: my Hero 616 only produces an awful scrawl :( . I'm sure it can only be the pen, though ...

Edited by PDW

Thank you everyone for the compliments on my handwriting :embarrassed_smile: I started practicing penmanship about a year ago after getting some very low scores on sets because my TAs had no idea what my illegible scrawl was trying to say. Unfortunately, I didn't realize my American TAs couldn't read cursive. :headsmack: So I still have to type up my sets if my TAs aren't foreign.

Your handwriting puts mine to shame! Thanks for your review. I have a 3 pack of 616 jumbos that I'm more than happy with too.

On the other hand, not everything was aligned properly when it was being built. The cap in particular looks a bit off. Also, for those who care, the clip is not nice to use. The cap also never clicks, it just kind of slides until it cannot anymore

If you have 10 minutes to spare, you can make the cap click into position between the clutch rings properly by fettling the inner cap. Afterwards, you can hold the cap jewel in a more central position while you reassemble the cap.

If you're using the pen for a lot of note taking, I recommend cleaning out the sparse silicon grease sealing the section, and using shellac or section sealant instead.

The eBay seller Yespen includes a handy guide to spotting counterfeit 616s with his listings, and sells genuine ones.

Thank you very much for the advice on fixing the pen up a bit. Unfortunately, I doubt that I have the right tools at the moment, or the time to fix it. When I have the time and the tools I'll probably try that. Fortunately, it's a relatively minor irritation.