J.herbin - Lie De The

rsq001

fpn_1318829870__epson002.jpg

"Who is John Galt?"

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s1600/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• rsq001

• Moondust

• rollerboy

Thank you, that is a nice form you used.

That ink is on my list of inks to buy, and will be a good addition to other reviews.

I only have one sepia, the MB. (Helps to read. :headsmack: You did say brown.)

I get so much difference in tone, using a semi-flex KOB and a regular flex F.

I'm deficient on browns having only MB Toffee.

I'm going to have to find a comparison because they do look some what similar to me so far.

My German B&M carries Pelikan; both levels, De Atramentis, MB, and not much else, so I can't get any French inks there.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I don't recognize the term "depth" in describing an ink. Is it equivalent to "saturation"?

I decided to use depth over saturation. Mainly because there is debate over proper use of the term as it relates to color vs. chemical compounds (of which I can not test). I apologize if it created confusion, though, it seems the connection was drawn. Thank you for bringing it up! Maybe it will catch on, though, if it does not I'm not too worried.

"Who is John Galt?"

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s1600/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

Wow, this ink review was written on my birthday, a time when I didn't yet know of the existence of FPN nor of Lie de Thé!

Between then and now I've damaged what until recently was my one and only pen, bought a new one and decided for this ink thanks to previous FPN reviews. Somehow I think it's magical that this review was written on my birthday :-) And I agree with the review, it's a bit light, maybe too light but then it sort of grows on you. Nice soft colour.

Now I'm going to see if someone has reviewed Iroshizuku's Ina-Ho.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you may just find you get what you need

Rolling Stones

There is room for a light, medium and dark brown.

When I get it I will run it through 6-8 nibs of various widths and flexes. A dry nib, a wet nib, that should find a nib or two that dances well with this ink.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I think it will become one of your favorites, Bo Bo.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It's in the mail. Along with something French Fue too; some sort of brown.

I picked up a DA copper brown and DA ocker yellow today as ink rush buying.

ocker yellow so far I only have it in a BB nib, nice shadowing but leans much towards orange.

Copper Brown seems to feather on less than 100 g. It has some nice shadowing and as I see it more red brown than copper.

I'll report more on that later when I've run a few papers through it.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

An interesting form. Is the PDF somewhere online?

(but why have the date at the top twice?)

As to the ink... I will try some. So far, in the browns, I really like Diamine Chocolate Brown (a much darker ink).

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

I just ran a few words with a real nice semi-flex KOB and a regular F. In both cases it shaded well.

There is a big tone difference between the two nibs on some papers. The KOB looked real good on all papers. I can't wait to either fiddle up a pen or empty my Easy Full Flex Degussa to take a look at it.

I had on the papers Pelikan Brown; a red brown, shades only on better paper; of course I only was running an 2968 Broad. It could be with finer nibs it will shade more. It's been a while since I had it in a few pens, and I did not ink test it then...having too few papers.

DA Copper brown, an even redder brown. Shades well.

MB Toffee is darker...now that I look hard, could be it tinges towards red. At least compared to Herbin Le de The`. A good medium brown, that shades...but not as much as Le de The`. (I only had a stiff regular flex M, so it is not a fair test. I need to put MB Toffee in an assortment of nibs, just like I need to increase the assortment of only two nibs I am now using for The` ink.

I can remember MB Toffee as one of my first real shading inks.

SB Sepia (discontinued) is towards red. For a while that ink sat in the corner that Toffee pushed it into. It's a very good shading ink. It is a bottle I have to get a spare of for the day.

Le de The` appears to be a very good shading ink.

On some papers there is more a shade difference than on others.

I notice a good difference between the normal Fine and the semi-flex KOB. The KOB is great on all papers, the fine is great on some, good on the rest.

Later it will be tested with 10-15 nibs on 10-15 papers.

It is an ink I'm happy to have.

IMO, Lie de Thé is the closest color match to the discontinued Sheaffer (American) Brown that I've found. I'm quite pleased with Lie de Thé.

I'm using this ink in my newest acquisition, a parker sonnet athenes. Pen and ink are a perfect match!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you may just find you get what you need

Rolling Stones

An interesting form. Is the PDF somewhere online?

(but why have the date at the top twice?)

As to the ink... I will try some. So far, in the browns, I really like Diamine Chocolate Brown (a much darker ink).

There is no blank pdf online that I know of because, I made it and have not distributed it! Each review I make is now numbered and the review form is mine. Thanks for your interest! I might make a public form down the road, though.

Edited by rsq001

"Who is John Galt?"