Noodler's Polar Blue

jotterius

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h442/Jasonkili/P9130118.jpghttp://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h442/Jasonkili/Picture42.jpg

This is my first review so any feedback is welcome, also I want to apologise for my awful handwriting.

Edited by jotterius

Yes I confess, I am still using my Jotter

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fabrimedeiros

• jotterius

• amberleadavis

• bbodson

Thank you for the review. I noticed with a broad nib and good paper (32 lbs or 120 g/m2) this ink can be a darker shade of blue.

Thank you for the review. I noticed with a broad nib and good paper (32 lbs or 120 g/m2) this ink can be a darker shade of blue.

Yes you are right, but here in greece the paper of this review is the best I can find but with a broad nib this ink tends to spread a lot

Yes I confess, I am still using my Jotter

I like this ink, but I've been suffering with feathering, even on Rhodia/Clairefontaine paper, probably because most of my pens have broad/ stub/ italic nibs. When I use a F nib, the feathering is almost none, or acceptable. However, I used almost a whole bottle at work in the last months. Its bulletproof properties are great! Thanks for the review!

I really like Polar Blue.

It is the only blue, bulletproof, lubricated ink I've found. I use it to refill Pilot V5 and V7 rollerball pens. With this combination there is no feathering, no spreading and no bleedthrough even on cheap papers where a fountain pen would have shown at least one these problems. The lubrication makes the pen feel significantly smoother than with the original ink.

On top of all of this, it is a nice, understated blue that is business-appropriate.

To me it's become the perfect rollerball refill ink.

JRD

fpn_1298521368__5461288919_f89b4e2fda_t.jpg

VadeMecum Leather: Notebook Covers, Notebook Folios and more.

Provide feedback on our current prototypes:

http://www.flickr.co...ademecumleather

I really like Polar Blue.

It is the only blue, bulletproof, lubricated ink I've found. I use it to refill Pilot V5 and V7 rollerball pens. [...]

I've been using other bulletproof blue inks: Noodler Upper Ganges Blue, Bad Belted Kingfisher (partial bulletproof) and Luxury Blue.

UGB is very similar to Polar Blue, but it's not anti-freezing (not eel too). Sometimes I can't differentiate both on my notbooks.

Edited by fabrimedeiros

I use Polar Blue at work, and have done so for a couple years now. Started with the Preppy that came with the ink, but now use a Parker "51" (two actually, as I "lost" one this spring -- it ended up inside the package of baking parchment sonehow!).

It feathers and bleeds on the cruddy photocopy paper at work, but the pens write very nicely on soaking wet paper labels, which is a great plus for me.

This is the 2006 version, later batches may feather less. It's fine on good paper, but newsprint or absorbent stocks cause terrible feathering and bleeding. Works great for me, as we only use one side of the paper (and it gets scanned and then shredded anyway).

Red stuff settles out in my bottle, it must be shaken each time I fill -- once a month or so usually since I'm using a "51" vac, less if I used the Preppy.

Peter

• 4 months later...

I use this ink quite a bit but find it looks very washed out on Moleskine papper. It also is sort of creepy in some of my pens. Still, if it ever freezes here in south Texas, I am prepared!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"He who hears the rippling of rivers in these degenerate days will not utterly despair." H.D. Thoreau

This is the 2006 version, later batches may feather less.

I don't think this date refers to the "batch", rather the "formulation", which may or may not have ever changed. I bought a new bottle a few months ago, and while one can hardly know about vendor stock, it also had 2006 on the label.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

This is the 2006 version, later batches may feather less.

I don't think this date refers to the "batch", rather the "formulation", which may or may not have ever changed. I bought a new bottle a few months ago, and while one can hardly know about vendor stock, it also had 2006 on the label.

I just checked mine, bought in late 2011, and it says 2006 on the label as well. Actually it says Winter 2006.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"He who hears the rippling of rivers in these degenerate days will not utterly despair." H.D. Thoreau

• 2 weeks later...

I was disappointed with the color but pleased with the properties. I found that it mixes beautifully with Visconti Blue. Once I added another vibrant color the Chinese was gone.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I was disappointed with the color but pleased with the properties. I found that it mixes beautifully with Visconti Blue. Once I added another vibrant color the blink.gifChinese was gone.

DMN Auto Correct.

Sorry. The washed out "chalky" look was gone.

Edited by amberleadavis

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I like this ink, but I've been suffering with feathering, even on Rhodia/Clairefontaine paper, probably because most of my pens have broad/ stub/ italic nibs. When I use a F nib, the feathering is almost none, or acceptable. However, I used almost a whole bottle at work in the last months. Its bulletproof properties are great! Thanks for the review!

Yes, and I have tried even better papers, like Triomphe!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8177/8054168349_d7012ee6b5_n.jpgM y o t h e r l i f e h e r e .

I use Polar Blue at work, and have done so for a couple years now. Started with the Preppy that came with the ink, but now use a Parker "51" (two actually, as I "lost" one this spring -- it ended up inside the package of baking parchment sonehow!).

It feathers and bleeds on the cruddy photocopy paper at work, but the pens write very nicely on soaking wet paper labels, which is a great plus for me.

This is the 2006 version, later batches may feather less. It's fine on good paper, but newsprint or absorbent stocks cause terrible feathering and bleeding. Works great for me, as we only use one side of the paper (and it gets scanned and then shredded anyway).

Red stuff settles out in my bottle, it must be shaken each time I fill -- once a month or so usually since I'm using a "51" vac, less if I used the Preppy.

Peter

Thank you for the hint about "red stuff"! I will check this out tonight and see if the feathering is mitigated by shaking the bottle.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8177/8054168349_d7012ee6b5_n.jpgM y o t h e r l i f e h e r e .